“Galvin - Great Food WITH a View”

Galvin at Windows Restaurant
Ranked #214 of 23,234 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Awarded a Michelin star and 3 AA Rosettes for its impeccable cuisine and ambience, the spectacular 28th floor panorama over the London skyline may have made Galvin at Windows a destination restaurant, but the inspired menu of modern French haute cuisine makes it impossible to overlook. The most talked about restaurant in London, Galvin at Windows has a glamourous interior blending the golden age of the 1930s with a modern theme. Together with Head Chef Joo Won, acclaimed Chef-Patron Chris Galvin has prepared a straightforward range of classic dishes that are ideally suited to the elevated Mayfair surroundings. The neighbouring bar boasts an impressive collection of whisky and cognac alongside classic and contemporary cocktails served on the rare Italian Saint Laurent marble bar top, which adds to the seductive atmosphere of the room. Whether you need to impress an important client or want to enjoy an intimate dinner for two, Galvin at Windows will offer you an exceptional dining experience.
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Not sure how others feel, but there are MANY restaurants with an outstanding view, and venue, but mediocre food - often at its best. Galvin at Windows Restaurant is an exception to that - they have the view (from atop the Park Lane Hilton - 28th floor) but back that up with a lovely venue, great, attentive service AND great food.

This was our 8th visit, with some being just my wife and myself, up to board dinners for 16. Galvin does not miss a beat. This was a mini-board meeting (just part of the US contingent) and was a party of six. This presented no issues for the very professional, friendly staff.

Galvin's wine selection and service are excellent. There is very good depth, and maybe the biggest issue is having so many excellent choices. If one becomes overwhelmed by the wine list, there will be a sommelier handy to assist in the selections. Besides those choices, the staff understands serving fine wines correctly, and well. The closest thing to a problem, that I have ever encountered is that the staff expects me to want additional chilling for my big whites, and I like them warmer than probably many other patrons. Still, if that is my only complaint, it has to be very, very good.

We started with a lovely St. Joseph Blanc, that is nice find, IMHO. Less expensive than some other Rhône Blancs, it still offers great character, and was a wonderful "starter" wine. That was followed by a Puligny-Montrachet (my first choice was not available, but they had a very viable second choice for me - Vincent Girardin Vieilles Vignes). We followed up with Clos Vougeot that had enough body to stand up to the heavier mains, but was light enough to complement the fish dishes.

Each dish was served with great timing, for the entire table, and the presentations were lovely. However, the dishes did not stop there, in that each was delicious too! I had the Seared Scottish king scallops, sweet corn purée, slow cooked pork belly & shellfish reduction, and the Fillet of Cumbrian beef ‘Rossini’, foie gras & truffle (a supplement of £5). My wife went with the Marinated Loch Fyne salmon, Dorset crab, beetroot & horseradish cream for her starter and the Beef Rossini too. Looking around my table, it appeared that each diner greatly enjoyed their dishes too.

The desserts were lovely, but I opted for but a taste of my wife's Hot soufflé of spiced apple & milk chocolate, bay leaf ice cream, and then a great Cheese Course.

Reservations are almost always a must, and the attire is Business. I am not sure if a jacket is *Required* for gentlemen, but one would be most comfortable with one. There is an adjoining bar area, but its noise is well-tempered from the dining room, and comfortable conversation is very possible - unlike too many other restaurants today. One does not need a "vibe," to know that they are enjoying themselves.

Not inexpensive (by anyone's terms), we have always found it to be a great "value," and it remains very high on our London fine-dining list, right behind Gordon Ramsay's Petrus and Marcus Wareing's at the Berkeley.

Couple a lovely venue, great views, excellent service, extensive wines and delicious food, and one has a winning combination. For a romantic evening of fine-dining, it would be very difficult to beat - though this was a business dinner.

1  Thank The_Loup_Garou
There are newer reviews for Galvin at Windows Restaurant

Reviewed November 2, 2013

This was my first time trying a Michelin starred restaurant and although I was impressed with the food/presentation, I went away absolutely starving still! Still and enjoyable meal though but wouldn't race back.

1  Thank Oli M
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We were expecting great things from this restaurant but came away from our meal feeling that it was very average food and overpriced. Service was very brisk and obviously a second sitting was expected. There was only a tasting menu and a 3 course menu at £65 to choose from and as I never eat dessert this was annoying. Choices were limited and the fish choices both came with seafood. As I am allergic to seafood but mostly eat fish this was again annoying however on enquiry they did leave out the seafood. I therefore was paying for expensive food I didn't eat. I do think an a la carte menu at this high end restaurant should be offered. The restaurant is very busy and noisy which didn't make us feel very relaxed. We asked for advice for our wine with our meal but the suggestion didn't go well with our fish! Overall I wouldn't recommend as there are so many better restaurants in London at better value.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

My kids took my wife , their mum and I for her birthday . What a treat it was . Excellent food , service and the views , WOW !!!!

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We had lunch at Galvin at Windows. The views over London are spectacular (revealing ravages one hadn't noticed at street level). Service was good, but not flawless.
The cooking was very good - I had the mackerel teriyaki followed by the hake - but it wasn't as good as the rating and the smells greeting one on arrival had led me to expect.