“Delicate food and incredible views”

Galvin at Windows Restaurant
Ranked #424 of 24,255 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Awarded a Michelin star and 3 AA Rosettes for its impeccable cuisine and ambience, the spectacular 28th floor panorama over the London skyline may have made Galvin at Windows a destination restaurant, but the inspired menu of modern French haute cuisine makes it impossible to overlook. The most talked about restaurant in London, Galvin at Windows has a glamourous interior blending the golden age of the 1930s with a modern theme. Together with Head Chef Joo Won, acclaimed Chef-Patron Chris Galvin has prepared a straightforward range of classic dishes that are ideally suited to the elevated Mayfair surroundings. The neighbouring bar boasts an impressive collection of whisky and cognac alongside classic and contemporary cocktails served on the rare Italian Saint Laurent marble bar top, which adds to the seductive atmosphere of the room. Whether you need to impress an important client or want to enjoy an intimate dinner for two, Galvin at Windows will offer you an exceptional dining experience.
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is one of my favourite haunts, in part for the delicate and flavoursome food, mostly for the amazing views. It's a little corporate, though the restaurant staff do their best to put you at your ease. The adjacent bar is lovely, especially at night, but here the drinks aren't the best in London and the staff are surprisingly sniffy. But when the lights go down and the capital lights up...oh boy.

6  Thank NBLondon
Write a ReviewReviews (3,094)

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My first visit to Galvins was for a special birthday lunch for my husband. From the moment we walked in the staff made us feel like very special customers. The service was exemplary - unstuffy, professional and personal. The manager had warned me that they could not guarantee a window table but would do their best. On the day we were given the best window table in the restaurant. There had been a mix up with a cancelled booking last year and I was promised a complimentary bottle of champagne when I next visited - 8 months later, they honoured their promise! Very impressed with the food, service and stunning views. No other London restaurant beats it.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Nice friendly bar and although the drinks are expensive, if you are lucky enough and into star spotting you could catch a glimpse of a celeb or two.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Do you remember, when as a kid you would buy a breakfast cereal just for the plastic toy inside? In a way, this is just like booking a table at Galvin at windows. The "novelty value" being the views across London. The staff, were helpful and friendly from the moment we entered the restaurant, right up until the moment we left.

To start, I had chicken and foie gras roulade. For me this was far too rich because I only got 2 pieces of chicken, the rest was the foie gras and an odd tasting ingredient I could not work out what it was, possibly salsify. It was far too rich and quite hard to finish.

My main course was Roast fillet of wild sea bass, baby artichoke barrigoule, Parma ham & squid. The Seabass was cooked to perfection, with crispy skin, flaking off the knife with ease. The squid was lovely, and had a smokiness to it from being chargrilled.

Desserts all looked extremely tempting, choosing between them was nearly impossible.! in the end I went for Baked cheesecake, orange & mint salad, lemon marmalade. Surprisingly, this was a deconstructed cheesecake in a way. The orange gel on top went well with the creaminess of the cheesecake itself. The "base" was made up of caramelised peanuts, which added a pleasant crunch to finish it all off.

The wine, unfortunately was not terribly pleasant. A pinot noir, which was a bit too weak for my taste.

A quick word on the service charge, For our visit, because it was Mother's day this was increased to 15% I was informed of this 2 days before our reservation, Although only 3% more. It is a bit of a cheek as it was too late to find somewhere else if anyone had wanted to cancel.

The view, as enjoyable as it was, is not exclusive to this particular restaurant. So if, you do want a view whilst you dine, there are other options out there, like Skylon, or Rhodes 24.

It is a hard one because the whole experience was pleasant. Just not spectacular, a bit like Galvin la chapelle. Pleasant enough, just not somewhere you would be talking about in weeks to come.

For a 15% service charge you'd want the service to be spot on, and it was. For £65 per person, you'd want the food to be amazing. Unfortunately, something was just missing. Also the whole place lacked atmosphere, a real shame.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Our evening didn't start very well, poor slow service in the bar and then the incorrect drinks, be very careful when ordering drinks in the bar the cost is incredibly high even for London( £30.00 for 2 drinks). I requested a table by the window when booking but unfortunately this was unavailable on the night, however no more than 5 minutes after we were seated at our table two window tables became free. I did request to be moved but without an answer to my request other people were seated at those tables. I think the thing with restaurants with views is everyone wants that table and then the dinning experience becomes about the view and not the food. This happened on my evening at Galvin's, I was upset that we were not offered that table when it became free.. anyway I did complain and I did get a table by the window. We had the 3 course evening meal, It was not dinning experience i had thought it would be, there wasn't a wow to anything I ate, the food was nice, the people serving were kind, attentive and the manager was fabulous. We had a tour of the kitchen and were taken to a private balcony to see the most spectacular view of the city. I did enjoy my evening because of the special service that we received and I would like to thank the Manger Andrew Sicklin for being so kind to us. Maybe because we didn't have the Degustation menu and only 3 courses we couldn't sample everything Galvin at Windows has to offer.

1  Thank plugster10