“Birthday Treat”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Description: Whits is a mainstay of the Kensington dining scene, attracting locals with its relaxed ambience and imaginative array of modern European classics. The pleasant restaurant interior, with its bright skylight and elegant ironwork, adds to the welcoming vibe, while dishes use ingredients often obtained directly from France to enhance the regularly changing menu.
Reviewed April 13, 2014

I visited Whits on a Saturday night as a surprise for my French boyfriend's birthday. I had emailed in advance to organise a birthday message on his dessert plate which Eva responded very quickly to. We were welcomed with a glass of Champagne and Eva said it was for my boyfriend'a birthday - very nice as I hadn't organised this. I had the foie gras, duck and rhubarb plate and he had the lobster ravioli, risotto and chocolate plate. All dishes were incredible and they also put a candle on his cake to go along with the chocolate birthday message on his plate. The wine we chose was only £25 and I have to say it was one of the best red wines I've had! All in all we had a very special evening and were delighted with the service and tasty food! Would definitely recommend!

There are newer reviews for Whits

Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

Went to Whits solely based on it's amazing reviews for my birthday, we've been trying a lot of amazing restaurants in London these past three weeks & sorry to say Whits was the least impressive tonight, I'm not sure who is writing the reviews, but it honestly felt like we were back in the 80's, when there wasn't a lot of choice and we were happy to get a half decent meal! My lobster ravioli lacked taste, my scallop risotto was like a sweet rice pudding with (albeit a lot & quite tasty) scallops in it, we shared the cheese plate for dessert, the crackers were stale & the piece of Red Leicester was an old dry end, the grapes not fresh, to finish off the espresso's tasted of 'dirty machine', wow! I'm sorry, the service was good, but the poor chap that served us was run off his feet, they were busy, I'm really not sure what all the fuss is about?? Get out there people and discover the new age of dining in the 20teens!

EvaSteve, Owner at Whits, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Thank you for visiting us and for your review. You are quite right to point out that we are not a cutting-edge fashionable restaurant featuring foams, smears of sauce and tiny portions but we do not aspire to be or advertise ourselves as such. We are a small neighbourhood restaurant whose menu is based on classical French cuisine which many people find timeless. Our cheese selection is advertised as French and the "Red Leicester" was in fact Vieux Mimolette, a hard cheese that is meant to be almost crystalline and it is difficult to understand how the crackers could be stale given the volume we use but had you told us we could have changed them. Similarly given the volume of coffee we serve and the daily coffee machine cleaning we don't understand your comment about the coffee but we shall investigate.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Food wise, this place is an absolute gem. Everything we tried was very good to excellent, with brilliant presentation. Wine recommendations were also spot on. On the night we visited was that there wasn't much atmosphere as there were very few diners, which we thought was strange for a Thursday. Bathroom arrangements feel a bit cramped and in need of updating.

EvaSteve, Owner at Whits, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Thank you for your very kind comments and we're delighted that you enjoyed your meal with us! We're sorry that you found the restaurant too quiet on your visit. As a small neighbourhood restaurant tucked away down a side street we find the early weekday evenings relatively quiet but then we have to turn away a lot of diners on Fridays and Saturdays and some diners find it loud! I'm afraid we cannot change the space available for the toilets as we do not own the property but they were fully renovated last year. We hope you will visit us again soon, all best Eva and Steve

Reviewed April 3, 2014

So I was reflecting on the exact purpose of Tripadvisor and how do I use it, and believe that the service is there to offer good honest opinions, good or bad re the businesses visited.
In this case I can only conclude that my strong recommendation is you go visit and enjoy this restaurant, Whits truly is a unique establishment and it is like being hugged and comforted, from the service, food and drink, relaxed atmosphere it is all just understated quality.
Go try and you cannot leave disappointed!

Reviewed April 3, 2014

We had a dinner here worthy of the best restaurants in France or the U.S. and very good value for money: a prix fixe dinner of cauliflower soup, salmon with wild rice and the freshest of spring vegetables, and a chocolate tart, and another main of rack of lamb served with Mediterranean touches of Baba Ganoush, basil pesto and tomato pesto with ratatouille. All were excellent and very generous portions. The wines were terrific and the expresso came with chocolate truffles. The service by Eva was professional and warm. Her husband chef Steve has worked all over France, England and D.C. and it shows with the inventiveness of his cooking. We'd recommend this restaurant to anyone.