“Great place for a special occasion”
Review of Whits - CLOSED

Whits
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Description: Whits is a mainstay of the Kensington dining scene, attracting locals with its relaxed ambience and imaginative array of modern European classics. The pleasant restaurant interior, with its bright skylight and elegant ironwork, adds to the welcoming vibe, while dishes use ingredients often obtained directly from France to enhance the regularly changing menu.
greenville, sc
“Great place for a special occasion”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

This is a wonderful little restaurant with creative, beautifully presented and great food. The service is also excellent. It is an intimate experience.

Greenville, South Carolina
“Wonderful, exceptional experience”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

This is a wonderful, intimate restaurant with friendly service. Everything was wonderful, from the warm greeting through to the soufflé. Our meals were exceptional and we will definitely return next time we are in London. This is a great spot for special ocassions. We were pleasantly surprised with how reasonable this restaurant is given the high quality of the food served. HIghly recommend.

“A real gem!”
Reviewed March 31, 2014

This restaurant is a real gem! Wonderful food, friendly service and a lovely atmosphere. I visited here for the first time on Friday evening with a small group of friends; we had a really relaxing evening and were all very impressed by this place. The fixed menu was excellent value for money and we all commented that not having music playing meant that we could hold a conversation with ease. My friends and I all plan to return in the near future and I can see this becoming a regular haunt.

London, United Kingdom
“Great - homely and a little quirky”
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I visited Whits for dinner on a Friday evening. It's quite small and a bit like dining with friends. The food is FANTASTIC (make sure to leave space for pudding) and the prices are very reasonable.

My wife has a wheat allergy and it was catered for very well (quite often I tell restaurants in advance only to be looked at blankly when I arrive).

A couple of things went wrong (they excluded croutons from my wife's soup - to cater for her wheat allergy - only for the chef to decide to add a big ravioli! We pointed it out and it got sorted immediately) In the end everything was dealt with very well by the staff.

We will go back on a regular basis.

Visited February 2014
EvaSteve, Owner at Whits, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for your lovely compliments! We're so sorry for the obvious slip-up with the Ravioli! We are actually quite proud that we can normally cater for guests avoiding wheat and gluten as we don't use either in any of our sauces so we can offer a good menu selection-even the soufflés don't contain any flour so it was very frustrating to let you down on your very first course. We're hoping you will indeed become regular guests and promise to be more vigilant! all best Eva and Steve
“One of the best .....”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

My husband discovered Whit's when he was searching the internet for somewhere special for our 44th wedding anniversary dinner. This fabulous little restaurant is only a short walk from High Street Kensington tube. Tucked part way down Abingdon Road it is easy to locate and as we entered the owner warmly greeted us by name and announced we were bang on time!

This restaurant has a nice buzz and homely ambience, attentive staff, an excellent wine list and a varied choice of great dishes on the menu.

My husband ordered a bottle of Borolo - an Italian wine- and following a quick taste we both agreed it was excellent choice.

After much deliberation I settled for the Lobster Ravioli and the Venison with winter vegetables, my husband opted for the Salmon with ginger and wasabi to start followed by Cod with a Mussel sauce. The portions on all dishes were surprisingly generous ... the Lobster and bisque sauce were simply divine and the combination of flavours in the sauce accompanying the venison and in the red cabbage were just so right and worked well with the whole dish. Needless to say my husband confirmed that his selections were simply delish also!

Truly satisfied with starters and mains we were left to chat and 'recover' before being asked if we wanted desert. We both opted for the Banana Soufflé and we were so glad we did .. the soufflé was accompanied by a banana sauce which the waitress kindly poured in for us ... words cannot express the explosion of taste from this desert and I would only add that "it was just to die for"!!!

We concluded the evening with one of the best balanced Irish Coffee we've had in a very long time, so all credit to Eva - the co-owner - who made these for us.

Suffice to say it appears nothing is too much trouble for the owners of this restaurant and this is clear from the fantastic fare on offer with carefully chosen ingredients, efficient staff and overall relaxed atmosphere. There is no doubting we will return to Whits .. probably during the summer months.

This is, in my opinion, an establishment which gives its customers a warm welcome and offers great value for money. I would strongly recommend that you to give it a try as you will not be disappointed.