“Great - homely and a little quirky”
Review of Whits - CLOSED

Whits
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Description: Whits is a mainstay of the Kensington dining scene, attracting locals with its relaxed ambience and imaginative array of modern European classics. The pleasant restaurant interior, with its bright skylight and elegant ironwork, adds to the welcoming vibe, while dishes use ingredients often obtained directly from France to enhance the regularly changing menu.
London, United Kingdom
“Great - homely and a little quirky”
Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I visited Whits for dinner on a Friday evening. It's quite small and a bit like dining with friends. The food is FANTASTIC (make sure to leave space for pudding) and the prices are very reasonable.

My wife has a wheat allergy and it was catered for very well (quite often I tell restaurants in advance only to be looked at blankly when I arrive).

A couple of things went wrong (they excluded croutons from my wife's soup - to cater for her wheat allergy - only for the chef to decide to add a big ravioli! We pointed it out and it got sorted immediately) In the end everything was dealt with very well by the staff.

We will go back on a regular basis.

Visited February 2014
EvaSteve, Owner at Whits, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you for your lovely compliments! We're so sorry for the obvious slip-up with the Ravioli! We are actually quite proud that we can normally cater for guests avoiding wheat and gluten as we don't use either in any of our sauces so we can offer a good menu selection-even the soufflés don't contain any flour so it was very frustrating to let you down on your very first course. We're hoping you will indeed become regular guests and promise to be more vigilant! all best Eva and Steve

“One of the best .....”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

My husband discovered Whit's when he was searching the internet for somewhere special for our 44th wedding anniversary dinner. This fabulous little restaurant is only a short walk from High Street Kensington tube. Tucked part way down Abingdon Road it is easy to locate and as we entered the owner warmly greeted us by name and announced we were bang on time!

This restaurant has a nice buzz and homely ambience, attentive staff, an excellent wine list and a varied choice of great dishes on the menu.

My husband ordered a bottle of Borolo - an Italian wine- and following a quick taste we both agreed it was excellent choice.

After much deliberation I settled for the Lobster Ravioli and the Venison with winter vegetables, my husband opted for the Salmon with ginger and wasabi to start followed by Cod with a Mussel sauce. The portions on all dishes were surprisingly generous ... the Lobster and bisque sauce were simply divine and the combination of flavours in the sauce accompanying the venison and in the red cabbage were just so right and worked well with the whole dish. Needless to say my husband confirmed that his selections were simply delish also!

Truly satisfied with starters and mains we were left to chat and 'recover' before being asked if we wanted desert. We both opted for the Banana Soufflé and we were so glad we did .. the soufflé was accompanied by a banana sauce which the waitress kindly poured in for us ... words cannot express the explosion of taste from this desert and I would only add that "it was just to die for"!!!

We concluded the evening with one of the best balanced Irish Coffee we've had in a very long time, so all credit to Eva - the co-owner - who made these for us.

Suffice to say it appears nothing is too much trouble for the owners of this restaurant and this is clear from the fantastic fare on offer with carefully chosen ingredients, efficient staff and overall relaxed atmosphere. There is no doubting we will return to Whits .. probably during the summer months.

This is, in my opinion, an establishment which gives its customers a warm welcome and offers great value for money. I would strongly recommend that you to give it a try as you will not be disappointed.

“Seriously delicious!”
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

I was so lucky to get Whits recommend at my hotel. Oh my, that was fantastic food. The lobster ravioli is just fabulous and they offer some nice wine by the glass (was on my own).
The main course I tried was very well prepared too (venisson) with a bit less of a "wow" effect.
I ended up on a high with a clever banana dessert combination.
I will certainly come back here, hopefully this time with friends & family.
Excellent service all evening. This is a slow food restaurant, so be prepared to enjoy a glass of wine while the kitchen is doing magic.

Visited March 2014
West Yorkshire
“Our first visit, but certainly not our last”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

We dined at this excellent establishment last Saturday and we were left truly satisfied.

We were only staying for one night in Kensington so I did my homework to find somewhere good to eat....and, even though I say this myself, I found a little gem.

The service from start to finish was excellent, the flavour combinations and tastiness of all our courses were immense. We love our fine food and Whits certainly came up trumps.

I loved my courses: Starter - Herring, Mains - Venison and AppleTart with Calvados Sorbet (a genius combo) but, If I could have rewound, I would have noshed my wife’s food too because her courses: Starter -Burrata with Heirloom Tomatoes, Basil Pesto and Tomato Water,Mains - Wild Mushroom, Champagne and Smoked Goats Cheese Risotto were soooooo lovely. I am a sucker for a Risotto and Whits version certainly hit the spot.

All washed down with one of the best Chardonnays we have ever tasted...along with two G & Ts, two Muscats, and to finish, a Remy for me and a Calvados for wifey.

One thing which was nice was the lack of airs and graces which we feared we might encounter when dining in Kensington. Eva, the hostess with the mostess, and our waiter and waitress made us feel so welcome and, with this in mind, we are adopting Whits as our favourite London restaurant and will endeavour to dine here on our trips to the smoke.

And, ask me if Whits offers value for money.....go on, ask.....ok, you asked and the answer is a big fat YES!!!

If you are visiting London then you MUST jump on the tube and visit Whits.

Thank you to all at Whits for making our night so special.

From,

Two 'it's grim ooop North' West Yorkshire-ites

1 Thank Andyjl1964
“Go!”
Reviewed March 16, 2014

I booked earlier in the day and was amazed to get a table for that (Friday) evening.

We arrived 10-15 minutes late due to traffic and received a warm welcome.

The food was amongst the best i have ever tasted.

Despite only drinking water/skipping the starters and desserts, we were thanked for visiting.

We will be back soon.