“Fantastic”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Description: Whits is a mainstay of the Kensington dining scene, attracting locals with its relaxed ambience and imaginative array of modern European classics. The pleasant restaurant interior, with its bright skylight and elegant ironwork, adds to the welcoming vibe, while dishes use ingredients often obtained directly from France to enhance the regularly changing menu.
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

I ate at Whits for the first time last night with a couple of friends for my birthday. It was outstanding. Lobster ravioli, then shoulder of lamb, finished off with a supremely indulgent chocolate presented five ways. The food was so delicious I had to tell myself forcibly not to lick the plate. The service was very good: friendly, attentive, and unpretentious. I will certainly go back, and recommend it highly. A memorable evening!

• Visited January 2014
EvaSteve, Owner at Whits, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review and we're delighted that you enjoyed your birthday with us!

singapore
“Great service and food”
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

This review is long overdue but I'd still like to give my two cents worth.

I was visiting UK as a tourist and my boyfriend working there brought me to Whits for dinner as a surprise.

Service was great. Every waiter and waitress had a smile on. They were friendly and clear in their explanations and recommendations.

First, I wanna commend on the bread and butter which was served before our meal. The butter has got to be the best I've ever eaten in a restaurant!

I had the Lobster Ravioli with Spinach and Lobster Sauce for starters, and the King and Queen Scallop Risotto with Seared King Scallop. The seafood for both was fresh and both dishes were absolutely delectable!

I can't remember what I had for desserts, but it could be off the menu. It was a tad too sweet for me, but it's just personal cuz I don't have a sweet tooth.

The restaurant also has very good ambience which made the dining experience better.

If I have the privilege of visiting London again, I'll dine at Whits again.

EvaSteve, Owner at Whits, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thank you very much for your belated review-it was kind of you to remember us! We hope to welcome you back when you next visit London, all best Eva and Steve
London UK
“A quick boredom threshold - the mark of a really great chef”
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Why is Whits unashamedly my favourite restaurant in London - if not the world ? It is because the style and atmosphere is laid back, unpretentious , attentive , charming ( thank you for the thoughtful glass of champagne on m birthday visit ) , but more importantly, it is because Steve the chef is all those things and amazingly and perpetually inventive . You never know from one week to another what new, delicious creation he will have produced from seasonal produce or a new way of presenting some classic dish which you thought could not be bettered. 'He gets bored doing the same thing ' says Eva his partner, who runs the restaurant . And we all get the advantage of a chef's ennuie. At our last visit, he produced a luscious, viscous French onion soup - with a cheese souffle on top and a tender , succulent cock au vin with beautifully al dente little vegetables, in a light, fresh jus- none of the heavy thick stuff masquerading as 'country style ' for Steve . And such good value -the last thing one considers here.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank ScotsRaven
EvaSteve, Owner at Whits, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thank you for yet another lovely review! It's been our pleasure to have served you these last ten years and we hope for many more! All best Eva and Steve
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
“Good and friendly”
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

Interesting place off the usual restaurant map. Would never have gone there but daughter lives close,

What a great place. - food good, wine good, service good. But not only this - the owners of 10 years were in the restaurant speaking to the punters !

Very good !

EvaSteve, Owner at Whits, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Thank you for your kind review-and to your daughter for finding us! It was lovely chatting to you and we hope to welcome you back soon when you next visit London. All the best Eva and Steve
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Everything we thought it would be and more...”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

We ate twice in Whits during a three day trip to London in November 2013. The service and attention to detail was excellent and the presentation and quality of the food was outstanding. Won't be looking for anywhere else to eat next time we are in Kensington!

• Visited November 2013