“I shall return”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Whits - CLOSED

Whits
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Description: Whits is a mainstay of the Kensington dining scene, attracting locals with its relaxed ambience and imaginative array of modern European classics. The pleasant restaurant interior, with its bright skylight and elegant ironwork, adds to the welcoming vibe, while dishes use ingredients often obtained directly from France to enhance the regularly changing menu.
Aberdeen, Maryland
“I shall return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

I love Whits. I have had family there. I have taken friends there. I have gone there myself. Each time everyone was very happy with the three necessities of good dining, the food, the ambiance and the service. When I wanted a vegetarian meal, Eva was quite glad to accommodate my wishes. Of course the main courses were very good, but I cannot help myself. I must get back to the vegetables. I am not a vegetarian, but for me the real test of a restaurant is the vegetables because most restaurants do take the trouble to properly prepare the main course but slough off on the vegetables. For me this shows a lack of commitment to the preparation. This is not the case at Whits where they show attention to every detail of the meal. The title of this review is "I shall return" and so I shall in February.

• Visited February 2013

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic evening”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

We were in London to celebrate my wife 40th birthday and our 10th wedding anniversary.
I had checked a number of restaurants in the weeks leading up to our trip and wanted to experience fine dining close to where we were staying in Kensington.
Whits came up a number of times both on the Internet and during conversations with friends and acquaintances, so I booked through Bookatable, and I left a note advising our reasons for visiting London.
When we arrived we were greeted warmly, and were provided a complimentary glass of bubbles to mark our anniversary…a nice touch.
The food was outstanding! Lobster ravioli for me and pate for the lady….both excellent. I had the confit of duck for main (the cumin jus was awesome!) and the wife had the roast rack of lamb….again, both were gorgeous and proper main course size…none of this half a plate serving!
We had to try the puddings….i had the Chocolate (Caramel Fondant, Truffle, White Chocolate Ice Cream and Milkshake) and Lou had the Lemon (Hot Soufflé, Tart and Sicilian Sorbet)…..this time the plate came with a personal ‘Happy Birthday’ message on the plate with a little candle….no TGI’s style singing and table dancing….again, a nice simple personal touch…..again, the puds were stunning.
A couple of drinks and a fantastic bottle of Chablis and only a smidge over £100 for the two of us.
A great dining experience, and somewhere I would recommend to anyone.
Whits…thank you for a special evening!

• Visited November 2013
Northampton, United Kingdom
“Decent Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

We went to Whits after another booking had been cancelled and off the back of the reviews on trip advisor.

We were politely greeted and sat at our table. The restaurant was about half full.

We were given time to look at the menu, but took an age to ask if we wanted pre dinner drinks and was taken with our order. The service was all random as the wine we ordered came before the pre dinner drinks and then minutes later the starter arrived. Then about a few minutes later after our starters were completed our mains arrived. Then for dessert we waited an age to order and receive these.

Food wise my partners dishes were very good, she had tomato panacota with Parma ham, mushroom risotto and apple tart.

My food on the other hand was average. Starter was good, the chicken liver parfait and duck breast was good, although more toast would have been good. My duck main was nice, but very salty for my liking and dried my mouth out. Dessert was the best meal and can't go too wrong on chocolate.

Overall it was a pleasant meal, but felt the service was let down and a bit patronising in places. Also little things like not butter knife didn't help. Also no suggestions on wine, although what we chose was very nice

Netherlands
“Excellent French restaurant in Kensington”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2013

We had a late supper after having arrived in London.
We booked here because of its location and the positive reviews in Tripadvisor.We were not disappointed.
Reception was friendly and courtious as was the service during our dinner.
I had the lobster ravioli on a bed of spinach with lobster sauce, which was delicious.The crispy duck was equally good.
My wife had the smoked duck salade followed by seared scallops.Spot on.
The restaurant does a very good job.
Very recommendable

Visited December 2013
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Outstanding!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

We were searching for a nice restaurant for a party of nine, all with very different tastes. Whits menu appeared quite varied so after much deliberation we booked online via Trip Adviser for a Christmas outing with colleagues.

Eva looked after us from the moment we walked through the door, nothing was too much trouble for Eva or her team during the entire evening, even taking time out for polite conversation.

The timing of each course brought to the table was perfect. Despite the fact the restaurant became very busy, everyone in our party was served at the same time, no waiting around for any dishes or sides to arrive.

Service was excellent, wine was great and reasonably priced, food was quite simply outstanding. Have to agree with other reviews, the lobster ravioli was one of the most delicious dishes ever tasted.

Cost of our meal was £400 for 9 people which included a few bottles of wine too, great value all in all.

Will most definitely be revisiting Whits.

• Visited December 2013