“Generous servings of very good food, matched by excellent hosting”
Review of Whits - CLOSED

Whits
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Description: Whits is a mainstay of the Kensington dining scene, attracting locals with its relaxed ambience and imaginative array of modern European classics. The pleasant restaurant interior, with its bright skylight and elegant ironwork, adds to the welcoming vibe, while dishes use ingredients often obtained directly from France to enhance the regularly changing menu.
Bedford UK
“Generous servings of very good food, matched by excellent hosting”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I booked this restaurant because of it's proximity to the hotel where my visiting friend was staying. Despite this, she and her travelling companion still got lost! So with a 45 minute wait on my own, I was immediately put at ease by the gracious Eva and her two staff. I kept myself busy with some lovely bread and the lobster ravioli, accompanied by a glass of the blanc blanc. Ok the ravioli was a tad on the cold side but delicious all the same. Just as I finished my appetiser my friends turned up. We ordered a bottle of blanc blanc, a bargain at less than £20 and the duck, rib eye and fillet. The fillet was one of the more memorable and generous I have eaten in London and the accompanying white asparagus was a nice change from the green. The duck was gobbled up in no time as apparently it was delicious, however the rib eye was a tad more rare than the medium that was requested. For dessert one of us went for a very generous creme brule, whilst two of us shared the apple pie and ice cream, yum. When the bill came all three of us were very pleasantly surprised, it topped off a top dining experience. Want to impress visiting friends in a very swish neighbourhood but not pay the usual London prices?, then don't hesitate booking your table here.

• Visited June 2013

Bristol
“Anniversary Dinner”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I booked a meal here on the strength of the trip advisor reviews and I wasn't disappointed. My boyfriend and I made the trip over from Clapham Junction for our anniversary. We ate quite early (7pm) because we were off on holiday the next day very early. The restaurant was quiet, with only 2 other tables occupied when we arrived, but as it's a small place, you didn't feel lost in a sea of empty tables.

We were greeted warmly and given an anniversary welcome drink (complimentary). It was great, as I'd written that it was our anniversay on the online booking and they had actually read it! The menu isn't overwhelming long but all the choices looked tempting. My boyfriend had the set menu (3 courses for £25), which was a salmon tart, followed by a pork belly disk and a chocolate truffle cake for dessert. I tried all of his dishes and they were gorgeous; all perfect! I had the smoked eel to start, which was lovely. Followed by the duck. The duck was nicely cooked but I found that the breast was a little overwhelmed by the cumin jus. The confit leg, however, held up a bit better against the strong flavour. By that time I was too full for dessert but i did "help" with the chocolate cake!

We didn't have any wine as we had the early start the next day, but the wine list looked good with wines by the glass as well as reasonably priced bottles.

Overall, the service was brilliant, the food delicious and the price reasonable for a smart dinner. I would certainly make the effort to come here again!

• Visited May 2013
“Nice food, relaxed informal atmosphere”
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We ate here as a last minute booking. The food was good, it was all tasty and well presented with some excellent individual elements. Portions are quite sizeable, so check before ordering anything extra, you may not need any sides! The restaurant was quite quiet when we dined but we were seated next to other occupied tables, which I felt were a little too close for comfort. I would have preferred a little bit more space. The service was OK, and the place is clearly popular with the locals. I'm sure I would pop in again if I was passing.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank LveTravel
london
“A little disappointed”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I visited based on the rave reviews and high ranking on Tripadvisor. The restaurant was packed to capacity when I arrived, the welcome was friendly and I was seated quickly.

I started with the Lobster Ravioli. The flavours were fine, however, the pasta was rather thick and stodgy, as was the lobster sauce which engulfed the whole plate. I'd say it was warm rather than hot.

For the main course i had venison. Again, it tasted good and was well cooked, the side dishes (chestnut puree, red cabbage, celeriac) were cooked well... but again, the whole plate was engulfed by a thick sauce, red wine this time... within minutes, the whole plate was a dark red mush.

Ended with a Rhubarb plate.. sorbet, tart, souffle, little bottle of cordial... none of them had much of a rhubarb flavour. The table next to me agreed that the souffle on it's own would have been enough.

So overall, Whits was ok, but based on my experience, I'm not sure it's worthy of it's high ranking.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank calzLondon
Umeå, Västerbottens Län, Sweden
“Amazed”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Usually I don't write reviews like these but I suddenly felt the need to... Why? I just visited Whits with my wife for a special occasion. I've read good things beforehand and every expectation was exceeded.

I wouldn't call I service, it sounds to much of a job, they made it feel so natural and welcoming. The food was top of the line (really) and the prices okey. A nice chateauneuf-du-pape for £32 is a bargain.

The least I an do after this experience sis to write my first review.

• Visited May 2013