“Not nice experience”

Somewhere over Knowhere
Ranked #9,683 of 28,484 Restaurants in London
Reviewed August 29, 2015

I went there one week ago with my boyfriend. We had two cappuccino, salmon with scrambled eggs and scrambled eggs with hash browns. My cappuccino had a hair inside, I understand is an eventuality who might happen. I went back to the bar to ask for a new cappuccino and the guy at the bar didn't even apologise and just answered rudely saying they will make a new one. Breakfast was one of the worst we ever had. The eggs were dry and overcooked and the sausage was so hot that it obviously came out of the microwave, and the salmon was cooked with the eggs, I don't know if this is meant to be genuine but I never seen salmon cooked with scrambled eggs anywhere in London for breakfast. Also the music was too loud.

1  Thank jennixe2014
Write a reviewReviews (17)

Reviewed August 23, 2015 via mobile

Food was great, staff were very friendly. Cool place to hang out - will definitely be returning. Try the mushrooms on toast!

Reviewed August 20, 2015

I work in Kentish Town and have been looking for somewhere to go for a good coffee and just generally a good catch up place and this is my new favourite! Super cool vibe and chilled atmosphere - I often see people just sitting there alone with their papers/laptops and it's defo the type of place you'd feel very comfortable to do so. My boyfriend and I shared their special which was red pepper humous and smashed avocado on sour dough bread for £5 - big portion and very yummy. I will definitely be going back!

Reviewed July 30, 2015 via mobile

Popped in whilst waiting for a train and ordered the cod with puy lentils pepper and Chorizo. It arrived promptly as requested (important as I didn't want to miss my train). The fish was fresh and cooked perfectly and the peppers and lentils also cooked just so! The portion was perfect for a quick evening meal and I left feeling fulfilled and at one with the world. The staff where also kind enough to charge my phone. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend. Possibly worth moving to North London for.

Date of visit: July 2015
2  Thank Flamegrilledhorse
Reviewed July 16, 2015

I don't usually review places I like in London. The reason is simple: I'm a selfish person and I like to get a table whenever I want it. But this is an exception and again, the reason is simple, I like it so much, I want it to remain open.

Now, I can't really testify to all the delicious dishes on their menu, in fact, I can only really tell you about four things: their sausage rolls, a soup of the day, their fruit'n'veg juices and their coffee. Actually, I think the coffee may come from Bean About Town, which as far as I'm concerned, is some of the best darn coffee in London, but I guess technically it's not really 'their' coffee. However, the sausage rolls, soups and juices definitely ARE their creations and they are beyond sublime…

If you're like me and cannot resist a good sausage roll, then you'll probably have tried some of the Ginger Pig sausage rolls. And if you've eaten a Ginger Pig sausage roll, it's going to be extremely hard for any other sausage roll to impress you. I can honestly say that the Somewhere over Knowhere rolls are some of the finest I have ever tasted. I don't know what the secret ingredient is, but whatever it is, you want to be careful that you don't become addicted.

The soup I tried was out of this world. It was a cold winter's afternoon and I needed warming up. The soup of the day was Carrot & Rosemary and sounded really good to me (I'm forever trying to get in my 5-a-Day so admittedly anything with veg tends to sound good to me), but let's face it, soup is soup, and soup not made at home is not usually even worth mentioning. But THIS soup was incredible! If you're a fan of the clean, simple food at St John's Bread and Wine, then you would have appreciated the pure flavours of this Carrot & Rosemary soup. Each flavour balanced the other out, never overpowering, but both strong in their own right. The soup was thick, almost creamy and the carrot gave it texture. With wine people talk about mouth-feel, but you understand the meaning when you eat a soup with texture. It was also served with a massive hunk of freshly baked sour-dough bread which was soft and cloud-like with a firm crust. Perfect for soaking, spooning and wiping the bowl with. I was with a work colleague who was attempting to discuss something with me, but I had to stop them whilst I ate, because I honestly didn't want to be concentrating on anything except those incredible flavours.

As for their juices, they have a few set juices which, once tried, are never forgotten. I think the person who devised them must be some sort of mixologist, because each juice has a distinct signature. It's not just carrot, apple and orange - though, if that's what you want, they'll make it for you - no, the green juice with spinach, apple and lemon is entirely refreshing on a summer's day and has a very definite zing to it. One of my other favourite's is a juice with what I think is carrot, beetroot, apple, celery and ginger. Sounds like a mess, but it tastes like Petrichor (the earthy smell after it's rained on dry soil) - I know, I know… but trust me on this, it's wonderful.

I've not had an opportunity to have dinner there yet, but the dinner menus (they regularly tweet them out) look extremely tempting. If you like your food to be simple, but full of flavour, you'll appreciate Somewhere over Knowhere. The owner is also the chef and both he and his wife opened it up a couple of years ago. The prices are good value for money (though the coffee could be In larger cups), the service is friendly and you don't ever feel like you're being chased out - they have free wi-fi and I've spent more than one full day there, never once feeling like I was over-staying my welcome. There's a downstairs bar in the evenings, called Knowhere Special, that does very good cocktails, but they're a tad on the expensive side and you have to book because it's small and popular. For me though, all the magic happens in the kitchen. If you're local to Kentish Town and haven't tried it yet, or if you're just visiting or simply looking for a good 'date-night' spot, give them a try. Careful though, it could very easily become a regular thing…

Date of visit: March 2015