“I know it's old fashioned but I like it.”
Review of Wiltons

Wiltons
Ranked #63 of 23,993 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: St. James's
Description: Wiltons, established in 1742, has consistently enjoyed a reputation as the epitome of fine British dining in London. George William Wilton provided the finest oysters to the traders of London"s Haymarket. Today Wiltons continues that tradition and continues to serve the finest oysters, seafood and game. Wiltons combines a modern philosophy on service with all that is traditionally British to create the perfect dining experience. If you are making a reservation for groups of 6 or more, please contact Wiltons directly. Should you have any special requests i.e birthday cakes or champagne, please advise Wiltons immediately upon making your reservation. We politely ask that gentlemen wear long sleeved shirts and long trousers, no sportswear or open toed sandals.
Reviewed May 10, 2014

For me it is the best place to have lunch in London on your own. I sit at the oyster bar at the front of the restaurant under the eye of the sorely missed 'Pat ', who probably would not like some of the small changes that have been made to ' his ' bar. The oysters, now out of season, are the best and biggest in London, and properly the most expensive. The service is a bit OTT but it is ' Old Fashioned Elegance' in the 21st century.Each of the fish dishes are superb, the game is the served perfectly and the Stilton is served as it should be. Yes it's expensive but to me it is the best English Restaurant in town.

2  Thank Russ P
Alison M, Guest Relations Manager at Wiltons, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear Russ P

Dining alone at the bar is far from a lonely experience at Wiltons. We like to think that Pat would have approved of the recent changes we have made in the Oyster Bar area. One thing is for sure, he would have enjoyed the improved lighting which allows our guests to read their papers with greater ease!

Thank you for your review. We look forward to seeing you back at the bar soon.

Reviewed May 9, 2014

Went as a group of 4 for dinner on a Friday - friendly welcome, nice space with tables not crushed together, good menu choice (asparagus in season, good Beef Wellington wheeled up), lots of well chosen and prepared fish dishes, nice cheeseboard. The wine list is extensive/expensive, but there are some good options on there around the £35-£40 mark. Service from the maitre'd and sommerlier and waiters was attentive and friendly, without any of the all-too-frequent visits by the "Is everything all right?" monitors seen in many other restaurants I'd been too. All 4 of us enjoyed it, had no issues at all, would thoroughly recommend for a good, relaxing meal. We liked too that it was just off Piccadilly in Jermyn Street, so relaxed walk to/from on without the west end hordes.

Alison M, Guest Relations Manager at Wiltons, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Dear jeremymangu,
Thank you for your kind words and we are pleased that you and your guests had such an enjoyable Friday evening at Wiltons. We strive to make all of our guests’ dining experience as fulfilling as possible and it is lovely to hear your feedback.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

This was indeed very very special. We had gull eggs which we were so beautifully boiled we had to have more than one. My dressed crab starter looked like a work of art, almost too beautiful to eat! The foie gras looked beautiful and I was told the oysters were amazing too. The Chablis wine was perfect and my Dover sole main was gorgeous! There was an issue with the beef (verdict was it was too tough?) and they swapped it for a fish dish.. The caramel pudding was divine. This was so beautiful I will remember the evening and the wonderful company we were in for a long time to come!

Dear Maryoola,
It is a pleasure for us to hear that you had such a memorable occasion at Wiltons.
Please visit us again soon and extend the happy memories!

Reviewed May 3, 2014

Cannot fault this place. After over 250 years and so much competition it is still a popular place for discerning diners. The oysters are the BEST we have ever had. And I have travelled to many continents. The service is friendly and helpful without being excruciatingly intrusive. The ambiance was warm and elegant. It definitely was the highlight of our London trip in the culinary sense.

2  Thank PhoebeNJ

Dear PheobeNix,
Thank you for your lovely review. We are very proud of the fact that we remain current in this very competitive restaurant market in London.
We are delighted that you enjoyed dining with us and hope you will again on your next London trip.

Reviewed May 2, 2014

I went to Wiltons on a weekday with a party of six for a special birthday celebration, and I look forward to going back just with my husband for a more romantic experience. The place certainly lends itself to intimacy, thanks to its layout - tables often placed in alcoves, elegant glass partitions - and its traditional furniture, wood panelling, soft lighting, sounds muffled by the plush carpet. It may feel “male” and business-like at lunch-time, as some reviewers said, but at dinner the feeling is very different. The restaurant merely exudes refinement and elegance - tradition carried through to the twenty-first century with panache. I didn’t have the impression that it was too pretentious either. I was actually surprised to see certain diners arriving in jeans, since tradition already imposes jackets there.
The air-conditioning was strong enough (to the verge of excessive) to keep away the smallest hint of suffocation and physical stuffiness.

The staff took good care of us, from front of house to the waiters and maître d’, who themselves represented well the old-established restaurant: good manners, attention to detail and to customers’ needs, pleasant but not patronising smiles (which I always notice); in a nutshell, comfortable and refined old-style service. Very much appreciated. Some members of staff were foreign, yes, but all of them had a polished attitude. And need I remind reviewers that Italian, French and now some Polish staff are some of the best in the business?

As for the food, the menu is online, so diners should be aware of prices and not just complain about them in their subsequent reviews. This is not, and is not supposed to be, a cheap place. However, while some dishes seemed to have too high a price tag, others did look quite fair, so one could manage a comparatively reasonable bill by making the right choices. Every single dish that was served at our table was delicious, and portions were more than adequate; in fact, apart from one exception, they did not leave us any space for dessert. This is because we had forgotten the little extras added in-between courses, as often happens at high-end restaurants. One more reason why I’d like to return!
I particularly appreciated the lobster bisque, delicious without being too diluted or too salty. The foie gras marinated in Port, presented with apple sauce, sultanas and a Riesling jelly, was another very pleasant surprise, a perfect marriage of textures and tastes. The oysters and the dressed crab also received praises. We saw the carving trolley pass and were tempted, but eventually we decided to have fish as our mains. Lobster, goujons and Dover sole seemed to be satisfactory. My lemon sole was the thickest one I’d ever seen, and my request to leave out the capers was met without any problem. The side dishes were also more than generous in size, especially the potato gratin.
Some specially made chocolates arrived as a birthday treat, and one of us also had the chocolate fondant, which was very well presented, while the rest of us ate it with our eyes.
The house Champagne was surprisingly good and the Sancerre… well, that doesn’t need any comment.

We left more than satisfied and will be very happy to visit this restaurant again. Well done! Highly recommended.

1  Thank crispypina

Dear crispypina,

Thank you for your thorough review which we enjoyed reading. It is extremely satisfying when guests notice the details that we focus on to create a magical dining experience.

We look forward to your romantic visit with your husband.