“Superb spot but Uba Expensive”
Review of Wiltons

Wiltons
Ranked #67 of 23,381 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: St. James's
Description: Wiltons, established in 1742, has consistently enjoyed a reputation as the epitome of fine British dining in London. George William Wilton provided the finest oysters to the traders of London"s Haymarket. Today Wiltons continues that tradition and continues to serve the finest oysters, seafood and game. Wiltons combines a modern philosophy on service with all that is traditionally British to create the perfect dining experience. If you are making a reservation for groups of 6 or more, please contact Wiltons directly. Should you have any special requests i.e birthday cakes or champagne, please advise Wiltons immediately upon making your reservation. We politely ask that gentlemen wear long sleeved shirts and long trousers, no sportswear or open toed sandals.
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Another trip to Wiltons; the food is sensational. The fresh crab is a sure winner; oysters are divine and The Dover Sole is a dream The staff are wonderul; a warm welcome is always assured and Wiltons depicts the full atmosphere of a quintessential English Restaurant.
Guaranteed enjoyment but expect a big bill.
If you fancy a coffee and a cigar and brandy afterwards; pop next door to Scotts and sit outside and watch the world go by in Jermyn Street

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I am an irregular visitor to Wiltons, perhaps twice a year, but I have never found the food, wine and service anything less than outstanding. I am not a famous politician, nor a sufficiently regular visitor to receive recognition or special treatment, just a random customer who enjoys good food. I therefore find some of the comments on here trite and bizarre.

OK, it's not at the bargain bucket end of the market, but given the quality, location and style only a fool would expect it to be. My lobster cocktail was fresh, plentiful and truly delicious and my main course of skate wing was cooked to perfection (and at £24, just £4 more expensive than I pay in Rochester). And the cheeses are perfectly served, who could resist the delights of a ripe Stilton brought to table on a trolley and served by a scoop, rather than a blocks of refrigerated bricks straight from the fridge, which is how even some top restaurants now serve their cheeses.

Wiltons might not be everyone's cup of tea. The formal service, dress code and lack of faux mateyness must be anathema to the Surf and Turf brigade whose views seems to dominate this site, constantly looking back to the good old days of Steak Diane and Black Forest Gateau at the local Berni Inn . Long may it remain so.

3  Thank ak23566
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We go to Wilton's each time we are in London and it never disappoints. The food and wine are always outstanding and the service is impeccable. Case in point : I had already made theater reservations, and in London this usually means a 7:30 pm curtain. The earliest reservation at Wilton's shown on Open Table was 6:00 pm, but I thought I remenbered that they actually openened at 5:30. Sure enought, through Wilton's website I was able to get a 5:30 pm reservation, which is still pushing it to make the theater in time. So we arrived about 15 minutes early and they could not have been more accomodating. We were seated and offered wine, although we couldn't otder food since the menus fro the evening had not yet been printed! When they arrived (promptly at 5:30) we found out that our favorite Dover Sole (which Wilton's prepares 4 different ways) is generally not available in the 5:30 - 6:30 pre-theater period. However, they made an exception for us and we again dined like royalty in this beautiful, club-like atmosphere with impeccable service. Without feeling hurried, we comfortably made it to the theater after a dining experience which we will long remember.

1  Thank ggharmon
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The best thing about Wilton's is Michael who, I think, is its Maitre D'. He is polite but you cannot help feeling he is taking the Mickey out of the extraordinarily rich clientele he is serving. "Good morning, my Lord" you can hear him call, as the British aristocracy wander in from Jermyn Street. To be fair, the food is good but not that good that Wilton's can charge what it does. Fairly poor grouse - £35! It's a joke. The Number 1 oysters are marvelous but at £4 each? Another joke. Wilton's is living off its reputation as one of the best fish restaurants in London. Granted the fish is great but you really have to be a millionaire to eat there. I am not, and won't be coming back -unless, of course, someone else is paying. The wine list is equally crazily expensive. Nothing worth drinking under £75.

2  Thank Feff35
Alison M, Manager at Wiltons, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear Feff35

Thank you for your feedback after your lunch at Wiltons.

We always source our produce from suppliers who only use the very best produce from sustainable sources, and while this increases the cost and therefore the selling price of menu items we try as much as possible to keep our prices in line or below comparable restaurants in the local area.

We will continue to offer our £48 Menu at lunch which is great value as it includes 3 courses and 2 glasses of wine.

Once again thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to Wiltons in the near future.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Very good fish, many types, many preparations. The service was impeccable, the fish was fresh and well prepared. I recommend for a special occasion!