“Good pre-theatre menu but no follow through of marketing” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Veeraswamy

Veeraswamy
Reserve with OpenTable
Veeraswamy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #459 of 22,202 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Grill, Healthy, Indian, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Veeraswamy, UK's oldest Indian restaurant in Piccadilly, has been the rendezvous of the famous and fashionable as well as lots of ordinary lovers of Indian food since its inception in 1926. The luxurious, chic, and exotic décor evokes Maharaja's palaces of the 1920s. A menu of classical dishes from throughout India is combined with more contemporary creations. National Geographic, the highly respected travel magazine, has ranked it as one of the 10 Best Destination Restaurants in the World. No other UK restaurant is in this top 10 list.
Ottawa, ON
“Good pre-theatre menu but no follow through of marketing”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

I dined here with my sister in Jan and we had a very good meal here.

I was in London again in March and was meeting a friend from university I had not seen for a while for dinner. I was hoping to go to the theatre after and she would prefer Indian so I suggested we do dinner at Veeraswamy.

I did the pre-theatre dinner I saw before and my friend preferred to order a la carte. The food was good as it was the previous time. I had mango lassi, chicken tikka starter and the fish for main plus mango sorbert for dessert.

Only issue or something that the restaurant did not follow through on was a promotional offer. I had received some offers for free champagne for feedback on dining experience on their website as well as offers of discount at some of the other restaurants. I supplied the review a few days before the planned dinner and never received anything on the champagne offer. When I called and asked before the dinner, I was told it might take a while to get the coupons but as far as I know, nothing was sent to me. If they don't bother to follow through, why did they bother to offer the promotion in the first place? I really did not need to waste my time.

• Visited March 2013

• Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
Switzerland
“High-class Indian food, pricey but worth it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I ate here on a weekday evening. The uniformed Indian doorman and the lift to the first floor reminded me of the restaurant as it was in the 60's and 70's, but the decor has been considerably updated over the years. We had a table overlooking Swallow Street - O.K, but the ones overlooking Regent Street are preferable. My business associate and I both had the Tasting Menu, consisting of a delightful lentil starter with tamarind, then a prawn dish, and then a miniature thali selection with lamb, chicken and pineapple curries plus rice and naan. The dessert was 'ordinary' ice-cream (not kulfi). All very well-cooked and prepared, very varied and made from the best ingredients, though not a giveaway at £45 per head. Attentive, cheerful and knowledgeable service from start to finish. Highly recommended.

• Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Always good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Have been coming to this restaurant since I was a child (back in the day when they had a stuffed tiger in a glass case), the food is always very good indeed. The service is good but can feel hurried if you have an earlier booking. It's not cheap but it is a good "occasion" place. Nicer to sit at the front of the restaurant if possible.

• Visited March 2013
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Stylish with a price tag to match”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

A very fancy restaurant, attentative service, great cocktails and well prepared food. I'm a big fan of art Deco and indian food so this should have been the ideal place for me but unfortunately it was not. I can understand that people rave about the place - what they do, they do very well indeed, I had primarily gone to experience the food and there I was not won over.

I really enjoyed the cocktails and there was an unique selection of starter that I found most appetising. The main courses however were different interpretation of dishes I had had elsewhere, possibly in "anglacised" versions and while they might have been highly authentic, they did not meet my taste.

All was immacuately presented and while the waiting staff were attentive, their main purpose seemed to sell as much (expensive) water as possible.

I subsequently visited Masalla Zone who are linked to Veeraswamy and had a main dish prepared i a similar (but less elabourate) manner.

If you are looking for atmosphere and style the Veersaswamy is up there with the best. It is always difficult to judge which is the best food - that is very much a matter of personal taste. While I could recognise that Versaswamy served food of the highest quality it simply wasn't to my taste.

I might consider going again as this is a good restaurant but want to try the competition in that price range.

• Visited January 2013
London
“We won't go again!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

My friend Tony and I met up about once a month for lunch and a chat. We've known each other since the early 70's. We usually eat at a Cote restaurant in London (generally good value) but this time, Tony suggested a visit to Veeraswamy's, which he remembered from the 60's. It's an attractive place, on the first floor of a grand building on Regent Street. The greeting and service are both very professional, but the food was rather dull (Biriani for me and Chicken Tikka for Tony - plus Sag, Naan etc). The prices were pretty steep too - about £22 each for the food. A medium sized glass of Indian beer was £5.50 (plus service) - close to Paris prices! (There is also a small note at the foot of the menu saying that the minimum charge per person is £25.) There were very few other diners - three other parties, from memory. We were rather underwhelmed, and sadly, won't be going back.

• Visited April 2013