“Time to eat” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Union Tavern

Union Tavern
Ranked #106 of 22,204 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Dining on a budget, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Clerkenwell
Description: The Union Tavern is a classic pub in a Victorian style where the emphasis not on food but great food, great drinks and good times. The menu has a number of elements with a big focus on steaks, pub classics as well as A'la carte dining. Look out for the great value set menus where 2 courses at lunch time are only £8.90 And the early dinner set menu is only £11.90. We offer friendly and efficient service in a warm atmosphere with great food, real ales and an extensive wine list families are welcome.
Northampton
“Time to eat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

Nice and handy just next door to the travelodge, and and really good menu, atmosphere, and the price was good.

Visited March 2014

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Very obliging”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

It was almost 9pm on Sunday evening when we called in here hoping to get a meal. We'd tried a Wetherspoons just up the road to be told they close at 8pm on Sundays'. How ridiculous!! The staff on entering were very helpful and attentive. Although we fancied a roast unfortunately they had run out. Next choice was beefburger. Again, all gone. So my friend had fish and chips and I chose the sirloin. Neither of us were disappointed. Both lovely meals and would eat there again. Will recommend.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent function room and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2014

My football team has held our end-of-season dinner at the function here a few times now, and the pub has been superb on every occasion. The food is very good, the service is excellent and the function room is the perfect space for our event. We are always well looked-after and the pricing is reasonable as well.

Visited May 2014
Elyria, Ohio
“Must Have Been A Off Night”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

We were staying across the street at the Holiday Inn Kings Cross and thought we'd give it a go one night for a change of pace. It was not a great decision. They were busy and the manager seemed a bit hassled seating people and moving things along.
When you enter, the dining area is on your left and the bar, with some tables is on your right. Rather than wait another 20-30 minutes for a table in the dining area we accepted a table in the bar...big mistake. We were promptly forgotten by everyone in the place. I actually went to the barman twice to get our orders going...and maybe get some drinks for the table. The barman himself was very pleasant, but waiting tables wasn't his thing...but then it wasn't anyone's thing it seemed. We waited overlong to get drinks...more time before having to ask someone to come and take our order...more time still before getting our meals, which for some reason came out piecemeal...the fish and chips orders came first and then the other orders came second...and my order of steak came last. The folks with the fish and chips were almost done with their food before mine showed up and it was a disappointment. The sign in the dining room (I had to get up and go read it as it wasn't printed on the regular menu, nor put up in the bar area) said it was to be a 16 oz aged steak, but I'd be surprised if it was even 12 oz and I'm not so sure how aged it was, though it had more marbling than I would have liked.
The cider was good as was the fish and chips but the rest of the meal was substandard and the service was pretty much non-existant.
This rated overall as one of the worse meals we endured during our visit to London. If you happen to go here yourself (I can't see doing it myself ever again), don't make our mistake of sitting in the bar. Insist on seating in the dining room. The night we were there, we were told they were out of hamburger meat...early on a Friday evening! Is that possible?
I wish we had found the friendly service others had reported, it's what we expected. What we got was non-existant service and second rate food. Very disappointed indeed.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
“Consistently Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I often eat here when staying at the Holiday Inn across the road. Good atmosphere. Nice looking pub. Decent menu - reasonably priced. Have had several meals here although I think I have only had the steak (boring I know!). Latest visit - steak was nicely cooked and very tasty. Good Chips. Garnishes a bit boring (maybe a bit of salad on the side would be helpful). Decent service - not overly friendly but that's ok. No complaints but maybe could do the small stuff a bit better. The added service charge is a bit annoying - it's a pub not waitress service - would always tip anyway but this should be customers choice.

• Visited April 2014