“Their sushi is amazing”
Review of Umu

Umu
Reserve with OpenTable
Umu is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,685 of 23,718 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Reviewed July 13, 2012

I don't know how many people can judge the food at UMU as good. Everyone I brought here that tried their sushi felt in love with it. I agree, the restaurant is expensive, but it is always full and there is a reason.

Quality is at its top: the ingredients are top quality and the way they prepare it is simply amazing.

Every time I got to London, I try to stop by this restaurant.

2  Thank Andrigo82

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Kaiseki is great and we went for the tasting menu and were not disappointed. The cuisine was masterful.

I knew that Umu was going to be an extravagant treat and I really don't mind spending the money when I have a truly great all round experience.

The food saved what was potentially a bad review. The service was appalling. The attention to detail and the slap dash style of service was not expected from a restaurant of this quality.

The sake sommelier seemed to have little clue what we wanted and she was completely impossible to understand. As the night went on it seemed the staff lost interest in us.

Would go back but probably on a Saturday night when they are really busy so the service possibly improves

Reviewed May 28, 2012

excellent service, nice atmosphere and great food.

of course it's not 100% Japanese style but just has a touch of "fusion". but I haven't found the same range of Japanese food in other top rated London Japanese restaurants and with the same quality. The real Wagyu beef (expensive but a "must try" at least once), the yuzu sauce (my favourite). the salad with lobster is what I think a "modern" dish, but still delicious.
I've been here several times and hopefully I'll come back soon

1  Thank utente2
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Interesting menu. Great staff. Knowledgeable waiters. And sushi to die for. All in all well worth the visit.

2  Thank Alis13
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Compared to other Japanese restaurants we've eaten in (Zuma, Roka, Nobu etc), Umu was disappointing. Tables for 2 are far too small and too close together, leaving you feeling cramped and uncomfortable. Kept getting blasts of cold air from front door and restaurant was too dark so could barely read the menu. Menu was a little limited but the overall quality of the food was good (although the wagyu beef wasn't as good as we've had elsewhere). Service was ok, but found it a little difficult to understand the waiter's english. For a meal that cost £309 for 2 we didn't feel it was worth it.

1  Thank Anne_elizabeth41