“The proper Japanese Food”
Review of Tsunami

Tsunami
Ranked #2,667 of 23,234 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Clapham / Battersea
Transit: The closest tube is Clapham North and the closest British rail station is Clapham High Street which is directly opposite our restaurant.
Description: Established in 2001, Tsunami is still a big wave washing through Clapham. Following a full refurbishment in April 2015 this flagship restaurant has brought its whole look up-to-date rivalling the best in Central London. With stunning wooden screens surrounding luxurious leather seating, it certainly sets the scene for an exquisite meal or delicious cocktail. With a late license, this is certainly the place to go!
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Tsunami Clapham is a place that you can't miss. The sushi and sashimi are amazing.If you don't know what to order, you can request a good selection with your waiter,I can beat you won't be disappointed. Please check out their promotions, as when I went there, they had offered 20% discount on food only, when you order by 7pm. We went there and we left satisfied with the quantity of food.The price is a bit average, but its worth to go.

There are newer reviews for Tsunami

Reviewed January 28, 2014

This place beats the one in Charlotte Street both in terms of food and service.

Ordered a variety of starters and sushi and all was delicious. Was a bit let down by the scallop starter which was on fire (didn't taste special in any way). Also, everyone in our party left slightly hungry... to be satisfied be prepared to spend at least £50pp on food.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Went out with three friends to celebrate a birthday the other weekend and felt compelled to write a review.

Firstly we arrived for our 9:30 reservation 15 minutes early and starving, but were not seated until 9:40pm. The restaurant was packed (it was a Saturday night) but the noise was ridiculous, making conversation at normal volumes impossible. We started off with (an admittedly excellent) cocktail whilst we waited for our table - I would definitely recommend the passion fruit and chilli mojito.

We ordered some edamame, chicken gyoza and snow crab siu mai for starters, as well as the grilled scallop. The gyoza and edamame were ok but the siu mai and the grilled scallop were spectacular. The grilled scallop in particular deserves special praise for its combination of great flavour and real dinner theatre (order it and you'll know what I mean!).

The sushi however was slightly disappointing - Tsunami's signature sushi, the Volano Roll, looked impressive but totally failed to deliver. It is essentially a pyramid of california roll drowned (and I do mean drowned) in mayonnaise. The regular nigiri and maki were ok - better than the plastic packed rubbish that passes for sushi in the likes of Itsu and Yo Sushi, but nowhere near as good as the sushi at Asakusa in NW1 or Atari-Ya in W1.

I also felt it was pretty expensive - our bill came to over £50 a head including drinks (a reasonably priced Riesling and two small bottles of sparkling saki) but skipping any dessert option and we were sated but definitely not full from the meal.

Ultimately I would say that is is worth going to for a cocktail and to experience the snow crab siu mai and the grilled scallop (which is a must), but if you are serious about sushi and you want to have a proper meal then I would recommend Asakusa or Atari-Ya. They may not be flashy but they are a heck of a lot cheaper and do better sushi to boot.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

This was really nommy, I enjoyed it immensely. We tried there award winning volcano which was tongue popping good.

Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

I love Tsunami, I have eaten here many times. The food is always great especially the black cod and any of the sushi! It's very reasonably priced for the quality. I have eaten at Nobu, Roku and other expensive Japanese restaurants in London and I really think Tsunami's food is on par, if not better but around half the price. Cocktails are also good!