“Far better elsewhere”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Clapham / Battersea
Transit: The closest tube is Clapham North and the closest British rail station is Clapham High Street which is directly opposite our restaurant.
Description: Established in 2001, Tsunami is still a big wave washing through Clapham. Following a full refurbishment in April 2015 this flagship restaurant has brought its whole look up-to-date rivalling the best in Central London. With stunning wooden screens surrounding luxurious leather seating, it certainly sets the scene for an exquisite meal or delicious cocktail. With a late license, this is certainly the place to go!
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Hi went recently for my girlfriends birthday. Restaurant ambience is decent and nice decor a little on the quiet side. The menu is plentiful and does have many options. Starters ok the tofu slightly tasteless and some of the portions very small considering the price. Sashimi was v good quality, however the maki's were not so great considering the price and in all honesty should have been far better quality. The volcano roll was however very good. I do feel there is a lack of consistency across the board will their dishes. At Rokka/Crazy/Bear/Nobu and even less pretentious Ataryia there is greater consistency in quality. Not a bad place but needs a little work to reach the heights it aspires to.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Tsunami does not serve the normal Japanese food, some of the Sushi and Tempuras are good. To me since I have been in Japan the food is more like a fusion kind of Japanese food. The service is good and so it's the ambience. Would not become a regular for me but once in a while would be Ok

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Best Japanese food I have had in London.

The salt & chilli pepper squid and tempura vegies were excellent.

The pork belly was outstanding.

The chocolate fondant was an excellent way to finish.

Service was great, though a little too attentive.

Drinks and in particular wine was quite expensive.

The cost makes it more appropriate for special occasions.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Good points - nice welcome and service good , food is very expensive - we tried some expensive options and were frankly dissapointed , the Black Cod was good but not THAT good and the 1 fillet of a rather small Bass however well cooked did not justify the mark- up on price.The chilli/ salt squid was a stand out dish as were the mixed pickles , we were dissapointed with the mixed fish tempura , batter was not as light or crispy as we expected , dipping sauce tasteless and the squid overlooked and tasteless.

I had a beer and my wife had a cocktail - she asked for a 'long' cocktail which majored in ICE - the free water was good

The bad things - its dark in there ! , they dimmed the already low lights at 7.45 perhaps obscuring our view of the very small expensive portions served up, also the low ceiling gives terrible acoustics and when the restaurant gets full as it did for us the sound is horrendous , worse is the way the tables are stacked SO close together , I am not interested in hearing the intimate details of people's life's but when they are literally 'in your face' its hard not to, the space between tables allows a very skinny person access , so if you are overweight and need to squeeze in , then I guess tables will need moving

We were looking forward to the meal but left totally underwhelmed and wandering why its rated so highly .

1  Thank sweenoid
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The service and overall ambiance of the place is great. Although a little crowded if full I think it adds to the experience - you can still hear one another and if it's awkward easy to fill the silence! ha!
I always get edamame, the flamboy scallops(MUST HAVE), an assortment of sushi and the black cod to share! We always pick a sushi dish each and 1 x cod between 3-4 of us and share to keep the price down. Plus the black cod is pretty rich. This always leaves us satisfied but not overfull. The cocktails are amazing especially the strawberry and vanilla one mmmmm could drink like water. Be seated by 7pm for 20% of the total food bill - If it is a Thurs-Sat this means you normally have to eat by 8.30, I think from memory but I've never been hurried along too much. It's also 241 cocktails till 8pm. I cannot fault this place - GO YOU WON'T REGRET IT!