“Fantastic Japanese but you pay for it”
Review of Tsunami

Tsunami
Ranked #2,328 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Clapham / Battersea
Transit: The closest tube is Clapham North and the closest British rail station is Clapham High Street which is directly opposite our restaurant.
Description: Established in 2001, Tsunami is still a big wave washing through Clapham. Following a full refurbishment in April 2015 this flagship restaurant has brought its whole look up-to-date rivalling the best in Central London. With stunning wooden screens surrounding luxurious leather seating, it certainly sets the scene for an exquisite meal or delicious cocktail. With a late license, this is certainly the place to go!
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Best Japanese food I have had in London.

The salt & chilli pepper squid and tempura vegies were excellent.

The pork belly was outstanding.

The chocolate fondant was an excellent way to finish.

Service was great, though a little too attentive.

Drinks and in particular wine was quite expensive.

The cost makes it more appropriate for special occasions.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Good points - nice welcome and service good , food is very expensive - we tried some expensive options and were frankly dissapointed , the Black Cod was good but not THAT good and the 1 fillet of a rather small Bass however well cooked did not justify the mark- up on price.The chilli/ salt squid was a stand out dish as were the mixed pickles , we were dissapointed with the mixed fish tempura , batter was not as light or crispy as we expected , dipping sauce tasteless and the squid overlooked and tasteless.

I had a beer and my wife had a cocktail - she asked for a 'long' cocktail which majored in ICE - the free water was good

The bad things - its dark in there ! , they dimmed the already low lights at 7.45 perhaps obscuring our view of the very small expensive portions served up, also the low ceiling gives terrible acoustics and when the restaurant gets full as it did for us the sound is horrendous , worse is the way the tables are stacked SO close together , I am not interested in hearing the intimate details of people's life's but when they are literally 'in your face' its hard not to, the space between tables allows a very skinny person access , so if you are overweight and need to squeeze in , then I guess tables will need moving

We were looking forward to the meal but left totally underwhelmed and wandering why its rated so highly .

1  Thank sweenoid
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The service and overall ambiance of the place is great. Although a little crowded if full I think it adds to the experience - you can still hear one another and if it's awkward easy to fill the silence! ha!
I always get edamame, the flamboy scallops(MUST HAVE), an assortment of sushi and the black cod to share! We always pick a sushi dish each and 1 x cod between 3-4 of us and share to keep the price down. Plus the black cod is pretty rich. This always leaves us satisfied but not overfull. The cocktails are amazing especially the strawberry and vanilla one mmmmm could drink like water. Be seated by 7pm for 20% of the total food bill - If it is a Thurs-Sat this means you normally have to eat by 8.30, I think from memory but I've never been hurried along too much. It's also 241 cocktails till 8pm. I cannot fault this place - GO YOU WON'T REGRET IT!

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I absolutely love tsunami - been going there for 5 years and every single meal I've had there has been outstanding. The black cod is worth the trip alone, and my mother declared the snow crab dim sum to be the best thing she's ever eaten.

They are a true credit to Clapham.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Was here on a dinner with a good friend of mine. I'm quite picky when it comes to Japanese food since my visit to Japan and this restaurant has really high standards IMHO.

We were well greeted and showed to our table. The service level was very high and the food felt really genuine. We had the Spicy Edamame, Luxury Sashimi Collection, Grilled Scallops, Tsunami Mixed Tempura, Beef Tataki and the chocolate filled spring rolls. And I have to say that not one single dish was even close to disappoint me.