“Best quality/price for a quiet diner” 4 of 5 bubbles

Tokyo Diner
Ranked #757 of 22,204 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Soho
“Best quality/price for a quiet diner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

It's not the best and fabulous Japanese food you can eat or find in many of the other Japanese restaurant, but it's decent, cozy with friendly service. There's some queues but no body is hurrying anybody. To us it's just important after a whole day walking and someplace to sit down and relax.
You get served immediately with a cup of aromatic Japanese tea. The menu is compact, no fancies but down to the ground daily japanese Bento's and noodles. The portion are big enough but in case of super hunger you could easily upgrade to large without any extra cost. More importantly there is no service charges. In this season you'd be considering that as a choice for restaurant when you see the next door one is asking for 30%. We enjoyed our food, it was the first time my husband had a bento, even though he had a bit difficulties between warm and cold food. But the taste is really ok, for that price! Certainly worth coming back when we got a chance and worthy recommending to backpackers.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dilbert2012

Worthing, West Sussex, England
“Not that good!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

Just been here and I was not impressed at all with the food.. Service was okay, not the best. The waiters were more indulged in talking among themselves than noticing their customers' needs. The chicken teriyaki I had was really salty and as I had a bento meal, it came with other sorts of side dish which I could not understand the taste. I am used to eating at Japanese resto a lot and this was really disappointing for me as it had a good review on tripadvisor. The soba noodle soup was lacking flavour and was just plain salty. The menu was so limited as well. They did not even serve tempura which is quite common among Japanese resto. Overall, would not come back nor recommend. I had tasted Japanese food better somewhere else around the leicester square area.

London, United Kingdom
“Relaxed, quiet, and friendly. Must visit.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

The best thing about Tokyo Diner is not being rushed. They aren't pushing you out the door for the next customer, and they aren't stealing the plate from under your nose. The selection is not huge, but the portions are generous.

My first visit here I was very drunk, my housemate and I late at night kept asking at the doorway could they serve us a large, cheap dish. That's exactly what they did, with lots of rice and what I remember to be a great taste. Of course, the next morning I was a little embarrassed for us.

Months later now and I finally swallow my pride, hoping they've forgotten my face. With a lady friend who avoids most meat dishes there were still a few options on the menu, which made life very easy. Upon entering we are seated by a friendly face, and brought two cups of tea and some nibbles without the need to ask.

The food is timely and tasty, there is a notice on the table that you may ask for a larger portion of rice, but please do not waste it. Similarly there are notices that specifically ask you not to tip. The bill is placed down with the food, but they leave it to you to go to the counter to pay in your own time.

If you tip, the money will go to charity.

We could took our time, received more tea and some table water on demand. After paying we sat a while longer and chatted. The atmosphere was calm and the staff friendly and pleasant. Excellent value and worth visiting more than once.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Ash_NPS160
“Great food in Chinatown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

I have been to many places in Chinatown, but this rates as one of the best. The food is extremely tasty. Big portions and no fuss. The sushi is pretty good quality for the price and the noodles are good. I especially like the fried tofu steak. Its definietely better than the generic grease-mongers on Gerrard st.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Eagle020
Belfast
“Consistently excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

So delicious we keep coming back. Fresh, traditional Japanese food from an extensive menu. It does not pretend to be Michelin star presented food, but the flavour is exceptional and the prices remain reasonable. The chicken Kara agé is incredibly tasty.
The restaurant is really close to Leicester square tube station.