“Great for a short break”

The National Dining Rooms
Reserve a Table
Bookatable
Ranked #13,491 of 28,485 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trafalgar Square / Embankment
Description: The National Dining Rooms offer stunning views over Trafalgar Square; the perfect place for an indulgent, unhurried lunch away from the crowds below. Our chefs use regional produce that represent the best of Britain’s independent, agricultural traders. Open daily (and until late on Fridays) for both formal lunches and casual snacks. Our cosy cafe area holds host to our famous National Afternoon Teas: a lavish spread of sandwiches, scones and cake, fine loose leaf teas and champagne. Surrounded world famous artworks, The National Dining Room is the ideal environment to enjoy a culinary masterpiece while discussing the galleries contents below.
Reviewed July 29, 2019

Stopped for a cup of tea and cake just the lunch rush. The staff were so warm and friendly and made me feel welcomed although I was not dining. The waiter suggested the venetian rose black tea and the lemon meringue tart. I went for the gooey chocolate cake instead - bad mistake as it wasn’t gooey and was rather claggy. The tea was amazing though.

Big shout out to Luna who was the host in front. She stepped in to clear and take orders when there was a rush. So lovely!

Overall, a very pleasant place to take a break in between looking at the the treasures in the Gallery.

Date of visit: July 2019
1  Thank x571
Write a reviewReviews (495)

Reviewed July 20, 2019

We went there because we happened to be in the area and it was convenient. It was not terrible. But not amazing either. Wine was ok.

Reviewed July 1, 2019

The menu was fairly limited and very heavy on salads. I don’t enjoy salad, so when I ordered from the set menu I asked if they could replace the salad with broccoli to accompany the chicken Kiev that I wanted to order. It wasn’t a problem at all, so I was presented with an excellent meal which I really enjoyed. The staff look after you very well and give a good service. There was a good wine list to choose from as well although on this occasion just stuck to still water.
I would think twice before returning as the menu was a bit too limited for my liking. But if you enjoy salads, well............

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed June 29, 2019

It started well, although after the smiling lady left us at our table, we discovered it to be quite wobbly. We were talking about the Sorolla exhibition, and didn’t notice until 45 minutes had passed that our starters had not yet arrived. I at least had something to occupy me, as I’d ordered a Fino. I‘ll never know whether it was a genuine mistake or a waiter’s joke, but instead of a bone-dry silvery drink, I was presented with the exact opposite - a dark brown liquid (port?) that smelled, and tasted like molasses. It was so nice that I drank it down without complaint. The food was good enough, especially the hake, and the Santiago cake, and the waiter was apologetic about the delay - he didn’t charge for the two side dishes which very nearly failed to accompany our main course. Overall, because we weren’t pushed for time, it was a pleasant lunch, but rather bizarre.

Reviewed June 27, 2019

Dropped in for a coffee after visiting the excellent Sorolla exhibition. Shown to a very wobbly table from which we had to move to avoid getting coffee in our laps. Had run out of croissants by 11.45 and coffee was lukewarm at best as was the 'hot' milk we had asked for. Milk replaced but not the coffee until we insisted. Belatedly offered another pastry on the house by which time we were keen to leave. Avoid.