“Poor service and expensive”

The National Dining Rooms
Ranked #11,825 of 22,376 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Trafalgar Square / Embankment
Description: The National Dining Rooms offer stunning views over Trafalgar Square; the perfect place for an indulgent, unhurried lunch away from the crowds below. Our chefs use regional produce that represent the best of Britain’s independent, agricultural traders. Open daily (and until late on Fridays) for both formal lunches and casual snacks. Our cosy cafe area holds host to our famous National Afternoon Teas: a lavish spread of sandwiches, scones and cake, fine loose leaf teas and champagne. Surrounded world famous artworks, The National Dining Room is the ideal environment to enjoy a culinary masterpiece while discussing the galleries contents below.
Godalming, United Kingdom
“Poor service and expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I booked ahead for Saturday lunch and requested a window seat. So pleased to be given a lovely seat overlooking Trafalgar Square. Our waitress was charming and the menu enticing. The meal started well, good service and beautifully presented dishes.

However then service then dropped off, waited and waited to be offer desserts or coffee. Coffee undrinkable, no sugar or milk offered, further requests. A shame £75 for lunch for two with one glass of wine each is steep so service should be slick - it was far from.

1 Thank Sreep100
Rob S, General Manager at The National Dining Rooms, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you so much for your response and letting us know about your recent experience.

I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion but can assure you that this was a lapse in service that you will find non-occurring.

I have passed on your comments to the team.

Many Thanks,

• Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
“Not worth the value, ho-hum service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

I went with my family of four and we were looking forward to having delicious food in a restaurant that was highly rated in TimeOut London. It seems the price is the only part of the review that matched it's four stars. The service was inattentive. Over the two hour lunch we saw three separate families come in - sit down at the table next to us and after a few minutes; got up and left. All three of the National Gallery's restaurants are in the same place - you just get seated in different areas. We were expecting a lot since the food at the British Museum's restaurant was very delicious! If you really have to eat - go elsewhere!

1 Thank MissCLam
Rob S, General Manager at The National Dining Rooms, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
thank you for your feedback and I am sorry to note that your experience was not up to our standards.

Please note that I have passed your feedback to the team and I can assure you that this was a mere lapse in service that you will find non occurring.

I would however like to offer you and a guest a complimentary visit to restore your faith in us. If you would be so kind to accept, please contact me directly and will be happy to arrange this for you at rob.dossantos@peytonandbyrne.co.uk

once again thank you for your review.

Regards,
London, United Kingdom
“Okay but could be vastly improved”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I had afternoon tea here with some visitors and did not complain but as stated by other guests I felt that the sandwiches on the top tear of the cream tea were extremely mean. I'm from Devon and butter should be served with the scone. More cream and a firmer set jam wouldn't go amiss. I think the scone was slightly over done (dark brown) and lacked a lightness of touch (I've had much better scones - I've had better ones at Tesco!). The open rye bread sandwiches were literally the size of my small finger. Not even a mouthful. There were 6 of us so we spent over £130 (3x champagne, 3x full afternoon tea) + additional tip (US - standard). Service was friendly and cheerful. The water issue seems to have been dealt with their was water on the table and topped up once during the tea. My guests enjoyed the experience but I don't think this was the best representation of an afternoon tea and I was disappointed. The Sandwiches were cut so you could get 9 portions out of two slices of bread. That's fine if you want dainty but then you should top them up. I wouldn't bring other overseas guests here. I love the National so was disappointed.

1 Thank DrB1974
thank you for your review and assisting us with your experience.

We are in the process of making this much improved and would therefore invite you and a guest to return to experience this.

Please let me know if you would be so kind to accept and I will be happy to arrange this for you.

rob.dossantos@peytonandbyrne.co.uk
London
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

Had lunch here on Saturday before theatre matinee with 4 friends. Three course set menu great value and every course absolutely delicious. Great service, prompt without feeling rushed, lovely staff and the view across to Trafalgar Square unbeatable . We are often in town and will definitely come here again and will have no hesitation in recommending it to all our friends. Great find!

• Visited August 2013
thank you for your review and I am pleased to note that you had a great experience.

I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Sunny Breakfast Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

A big thank you to the wonderful restaurant manager and catering staff at The National Dining Rooms. We booked a Sunday breakfast with a good friend who was visiting London before traveling home.

The restaurant was airy, clean, had secret views onto Trafalgar Square and a delicious smell from the bakery. We had some confusion as the menu online was no longer available but found through excellent customer service our expectations were exceeded.

We would have moved on, but the wonderful restaurant manager spoke to the chef and whisked us up a choice of items, fresh coffee and vey refreshing orange juice. We will definitely be back and had a wonderful time.

• Visited August 2013
Rob S, General Manager at The National Dining Rooms, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful review and really please to hear that it all went splendidly for you on Sunday.

I have also passed your comments to the 'Wonderful' manager and staff on board.