“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #11,670 of 23,707 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trafalgar Square / Embankment
Description: The National Dining Rooms offer stunning views over Trafalgar Square; the perfect place for an indulgent, unhurried lunch away from the crowds below. Our chefs use regional produce that represent the best of Britain’s independent, agricultural traders. Open daily (and until late on Fridays) for both formal lunches and casual snacks. Our cosy cafe area holds host to our famous National Afternoon Teas: a lavish spread of sandwiches, scones and cake, fine loose leaf teas and champagne. Surrounded world famous artworks, The National Dining Room is the ideal environment to enjoy a culinary masterpiece while discussing the galleries contents below.
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Trying to book a restaurant for lunch a few days before Christmas was difficult, so I was relieved to reserve a table here for a couple of friends. I was a bit apprehensive as to why this restaurant was not fully booked like all the others. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. Food was innovative and presented beautifully. Portion sizes are on the small side but that makes a change. Wine list was most suitable with something for every one. Staff were excellent. Lunch with two bottles of wine between three of us and service was £50 each. Most enjoyable and I would recommend this restaurant for either business or a casual meal

NDR5252, Manager at The National Dining Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear Ian B,

Many thanks for writing your review on Tripadvisor, this really means a lot to us as a team as we put all our passion and hard work into this restaurant.

Happy 2013 to you and we hope to see you soon again.

Warmest regards,

Alain Luxembourg

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We were a bit sceptical on arrival to see what looked like a self service cafeteria but settled into what looks like a railway station but actually is comfortable and airy.
A Scallop and pear starter will be copied when I get home and the smoked trout was also good. Traditional roast beef was excellent , everything was perfectly cooked, great curly kale cabbage, yorkshires were good, two would be better, crispy roast potatoes and perfect carrots. Washed down with a bottle of Moulin a Vent at a reasonable price.
Great, and they have an incredible collection of paintings in the ante-rooms.

1  Thank royvocking
Rob S, Manager at The National Dining Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback and we are glad to note that you had a great experience with us.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

We often arrive in London early in the morning from an overnight flight and find ourselves downtown midmorning, sightseeing to stay awake. This place is less fancy than it sounds and offers a great opportunity for a strong coffee and a snack or early lunch. It is also nice in that it provides a peaceful contrast to the chaos just outside the doors in Trafalgar Square.

1  Thank Seadog14926

Reviewed November 3, 2012

So, I took one of Britain's premier marketers out for lunch on Thursday to thank her for a favour - great venue, convenient location. Looking good. BUT...sat down at 1pm. Table next door had been waiting for their dessert for over an hour. We waited for an hour to be served at all and were not! We had ordered fish and one of the daily specials - 10 mins prep max. No apologies, a glass of wine and a slice of bread at 2pm. Oh, and all the shopping I had just bought from the National Gallery shop for Christmas downstairs, some £50 was also stolen within that hour. DO NOT eat here. We are both in marketing and we know what is good and what is not - this was not. Manager delightful but no follow through at all and other staff could not have cared less, blaming the kitchen for incompetence - how professional is that?

2  Thank TheMaxFactor

Thank you for sending in your feedback and I can certainly remember your visit as I was on duty on the day. I hope that you would accept my apologies for what was a poor display on our part and a mere lapse in service that you would not find re-occurring.

Coupled with the bag that you had missing, I did ensure that you received your money for the lost bag.

Once again, please accept our sincere apologies and thank you once again for writing your review.

Best wishes,

Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Had a lunch with my friend other day. Atmosphere was very nice, very friendly and helpful people and good British food. Didn't had to wait long for food and we were not interrupted a lot as we wanted to had a girly chat :) definitely will come back !!!

2  Thank Acidute