“A Fabulous Tasting Menu Dinner in Pleasant Circumstances”
Review of The Ledbury

The Ledbury
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ledbury is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 25,464 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Notting Hill
Reviewed April 26, 2017

I had not been back to the Ledbury for several years. Not easy to get a reservation there, but I got lucky when I tried for a table for two on a Sunday evening when I was just passing through London. Took an old friend from Oxford (definitely a haute cuisine foodie). We ordered the tasting menu (obligatory at Sunday dinner, I believe) with matching wines, and we utterly enjoyed each of the eight courses spread out over three hours. They were as follows. (1) Chantilly of Oyster, Tartare of Sea Bream and Frozen English Wasabi, with a 2015 Grüner Veltliner, Gőttweiger Berg. Stift Gőttweig, Kremstal, Austria; (2) White Beetroot Baked in Clay, Caviar Salt and Smoke Eel, with a 2015 Assyrtiko, Estate Argyros, Santorini, Greece; (3) Warm Pheasant Egg Celeriac, Arbois, Dried Ham and Truffle, with a 2010 Savagnin, L’Hopital, Domaine Buronfosse, France; (4) Steamed Asparagus, Blood Orange, Shellfish Cream and Sea Vegetables, with a 2012 GVB, Vergelegen, Stellenbosch, South Africa; (5) Pork Temple, Hispi Cabbage, Juniper and Crackling, with a 2014 Pinot Voir, Elio Ottin, Aosta, Italy; (6) Belted Galloway Beef, Hen of the Woods, Jersey Royals and Pickled Wild Hops, with a 2012 Keermont Estate, Stellenbosch, South Africa; (7) Gariguette Strawberries, Rosé Jelly and Clotted Cream (no wine match for this course); (8) Chocolate: Dark Chocolate Chantilly and Mint, with a 2006 Rivesaltes Ambré, Domaine Des Chênes, Roussillon, France. Three utterly delicious amuse gueules were added along the way. Every dish was a masterpiece, though we especially enjoyed the first, third, and sixth courses. The tasting menu costs £145 per person, or £255 with matching wines. The total came to £539, inclusive of tax and service (and an after dinner drink for each of us). Absolutely worth every penny. We felt very well fed, but by no means overstuffed. The wine portions were generous enough to enjoy with each small course, but not so large as to leave us blurry. We approved the use of Greek and South African wines, all three of which were excellent (and no doubt helped keep cost within reason). We have special commendation for the wait staff and sommelier—young, very professional, very efficient, and not nearly as stuffy as most upper end restaurants tend to be. The head chef, Brett Graham, is Australian, which perhaps helps account for the very professional but cheerful atmosphere. I don’t think I have ever before eaten anything exactly like any of the eight courses: the level of inventiveness is amazing.
The Ledbury is about as good as top-end restaurants get. It is quite different from Heston Blumenthal’s The Fat Duck, but I would put them both in an out-of-this-world class. I have fond memories of great meals at La Tante Claire and various incarnations of Chez Nico in the eighties and nineties in the heydays of Pierre Koffmann and Nico Ladenis. They were great chefs, but more essentially traditional in their culinary conceptions. For anyone seriously attentive to taste combinations and wine matches, The Ledbury is a fabulous experience.

1  Thank JervDelTally
Write a ReviewReviews (2,756)

Reviewed April 24, 2017 via mobile

I had been looking forward to this meal for more than a month. I was lucky enough to grab a table and enjoy Brett's wonderful tasting menu. One of my highlights was the lamb which was flawless.

1  Thank worldfoodie64
Reviewed April 24, 2017

From the moment you walk in, it was very welcoming (and I walked in with flip-flops as I had just done my pedicure but didn't dry out in time) and with smiles. The place appears to be smart and comfortable at the same time and is not pretentious. They take care into lot's of little details to make you feel comfortable, whilst giving you top service and one of the best meals I've ever had.

I especially like the fact that at the end of the meal, you can decide to take away from the composer made from the food rubbish they create. It was such a lovely touch.

This place deserves all the credit they get.

Reviewed April 24, 2017

I tried out 8 course meal with wines. Food was perfect, wines were nice as well. Some stuff members were really nice, some seemed to be little bit arrogant. We were late for an hour and still it was ok for them. Pretty far from very city centre..

Reviewed April 23, 2017

We love to go to new Michelin-starred restaurants around the world. We've been to a few other 2-stars (Hand & Flowers, Fera), and this one absolutely fits the bill. Clearly Hand & Flowers is a bit different as a super-gastropub. But the Ledbury and Fera are both exceptional restaurants.

Fera takes the cake on service and space. But the Ledbury wins on the food. Also, I honestly don't think that the Ledbury TRIES to win at service/space insofar as they want it to be a relaxed, unpretentious atmosphere. They very much succeed in this, and I really do appreciate it. I hate feeling like a slave to the 'atmosphere' or how you 'should' act in a 2-Michelin-star restaurant. It can be nice sometimes (trying to impress, etc.), but not when I just want to relax and eat great food. So, when I say that Fera takes the cake on service and the space, it is almost by default if you get what I'm saying.

As usual, we both had the tasting menu, but as I was driving home, I only had a glass of wine. Until recently, I didn't realise that I absolutely love scallops...I think that between Arzak and the Ledbury, they forced me to love them. They were cooked to absolute perfection. Overall, I thought the menu was very well done (very good melds of taste, texture, color), and it was very 'normal'. I say this in contrast to a place like Arzak, where the modus operandi is more experimental and molecular. The Ledbury was just really good, well done food.

Along the lines of the relaxed atmosphere: They say there is no dress code, and it's true. Don't worry about it. Just wear what you would usually wear! I wore dress jeans, a white shirt, and a Paul Smith jacket. My wife wore a dress. We fit right in. There is some on the street parking nearby, so depending upon when you come, that might work. Otherwise, if you take the tube, the nearest stop is a little bit of a walk away. This was overall a fantastic experience, and I hope to go back!