“Excellent Sunday lunch at a top class restaurant”
Review of The Ledbury

The Ledbury
Reserve with OpenTable
The Ledbury is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 22,674 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European, French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Notting Hill
London
“Excellent Sunday lunch at a top class restaurant”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Went with my wife, sister and good friend along for a lovely Sunday lunch. We all decided to have the 3 course £50 option including 2 bottles of wine. From the start our entrance the amouse bouche's for each of us were really amazing, very fresh, smooth and full of flavour. 2 of us had the "Risotto" of Celeriac with Smoked Eel and Parsley, 1 had the Ceviche of Hand Dived Scallops with Kohlrabi, Seaweed Oil and Frozen English Wasabi and the last Steamed White Asparagus with Duck Ham and Morels Cooked in Earl Grey Tea. The risotto wasn't a real one but was a clever substitute of potato bits croquant (slightly raw) to give it a crunchy bite. The smoked eel was subtle and not overpowering. On the whole very good but not quite amazing. The scallops were unbelievable, you could smell the sea, taste the waves and it drew you straight into the dish which was full of fresh flavour. The steamed white asparagus was perfectly cooked but slightly under-seasoned but nothing you can throw out the door.

For our mains we had Cornish Turbot with Peas, Asparagus and Morels. Roast Breast and Confit Leg of Pigeon with Red Vegetables and Leaves, Foie Gras and Cherry Blossom and Short Rib of Ruby Red Beef with Celeriac Baked in Juniper and Cepes. I must say the Turbot and Pigeon are the best 2 dishes for fish and pigeon I have ever tasted and were really amazing. Personally the beef dish was amazing but not the best ever tasted by my friend, but hey I am being highly critical here between best ever tasted and not so it was still excellent.

For dessert we chose the Pavé of Chocolate with Milk Pureé and Lovage Ice Cream, Mille Feuille of Mango with Vanilla and Kaffir Lime Ice Cream and Passion Fruit Soufflé with Sauternes Ice Cream. Now I must say I thought I had tasted the best ever souffle at the Ritz but my wife assures me this was better and even a bite to savour was enough to agree. The Mille Feuille in my view was sublime, subtle, not sweet, perfect. As an extra we got the Pavé of Chocolate with Milk Pureé and Lovage Ice Cream given to us which was a lovely compliment and in a way was really lovely but was between us our least favourite dish so what we had chosen was perfect for the occasion.

Decor is very light, a little bland but still done in good taste, seating is limited and not too close together to generate a good atmosphere but not be too noisy. Everyone was friendly and greeted us as we came into the restaurant. All our waiters were really good and well versed in the food presented. Now my friend and sister are both choosy on their wines so I knew the sommelier was going to have a hard time getting us the choice we all agreed on but after a good discussion between us all we decided to get the 2010 Lirac Blanc, Cuvée de la Reine des Bois, Domaine de la Mordorée which was a lovely compliment to the meal since we were eating a mixture of all kinds of meat. Followed closely by the Assyrtiko Gaia 2012 from Santorini which is a lovely mineral wine.

So in conclusion we all found the eating experience to be amazing (as expected) and even though it hasn't got a 3* Michelin it just needs a tiny jump to perfection and probably a little extra creativeness. My wife and I have visited 2 3* Michelin restaurants and can say that a small step is required to get there but it's often bigger than you expect.

2 Thank popLondon

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Linz, Austria
“Amazing Value for Money.”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We went there for sunday lunch - it was perfect. The food was outstanding and the service perfect. Two well deserved Michelin stars. I'll be back!

1 Thank Kaigru
Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
“Faultless throughout”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Third time here for us but first for dinner and it just keeps getting better. The Ledbury has to be the best 2 star restaurant in England by a country mile. Why no third star?? Maybe it's better like that though because the Tuesday we ate it appeared to be full of couples and families enjoying themselves as opposed to foodies and bloggers.

Brisbane, Australia
“Michelin Star excellence”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

On holidays in London, we wanted to try a Michelin star restaurant and we were not disappointed. From the beginning to end the experience was superb. The food is sophisticated and well thought out, there is genius in the kitchen and the sommelier and wait staff completed the picture.
The set menu offered plenty of variety and the little touches of an amuse bouche and canapes just highten the experience. Would thoroughly recommend this restaurant.

Durham, UK
“Absolutely Outstanding”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

After dining in some other high end establishments, I was looking forward to The Ledbury and it did not disappoint. The tasting menu was superb, the food exquisite, and the service exemplary.

I was particularly pleased that there was some very reasonably priced wines in the £30-40 price range - something which other high-end restaurants would be well suited to take note of.

The Ledbury offers good value for money for a restaurant in its class. When we arrived the waiter asked if it was a special occasion. My wife explained it was her birthday and at the end of the meal she was presented with a chocolate desert for her birthday - a very nice touch and well received.

Also one of the dishes on the tasting menu was not suitable for her, and the Chef replaced it with a different dish with no problems - things like this really make a good meal great.

Thanks for a lovely meal.

1 Thank Sidious-Durham