“We weren't blown away”

Tamarind
Ranked #334 of 22,557 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Cross street: Curzon Street
Transit: Green Park
Description: Michelin-starred Tamarind presents an elegant take on Indian cuisine from its gilded dining room in chic Mayfair. The inventive menu is rooted in traditional Moghul cooking, with fish, meat and game dishes brought forth from the Tandoor oven in an authentic north-west Indian fashion. Muted tones and attentive service make the restaurant a smart yet convivial destination.
London, United Kingdom
“We weren't blown away”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We went to Tamarind for a birthday lunch. Its basement accommodation might seem discreet in the evening, but the absence of natural light wasn't what was wanted on a sunny spring afternoon.
Two of us had the tasting menu, which was good, but not spectacular. The third member of our party had to avoid dairy products and, whilst the kitchen was obliging and produced a dairy-free chicken curry, its taste didn't warrant the £19.95 charged for it.
The staff were pleasant and attentive, but there was only one other party dining, so they weren't stretched. There was an error on the bill and getting it corrected was more of a palaver than it should have been in a "posh" Mayfair restaurant.

• Visited March 2014

• Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Normally one, if not the best, Indian restaurant in London”
Reviewed March 9, 2014

So this is a subsequent review to one of my favourite Indian restaurants in London. This and Amaya probably have the crown, although for standard dishes coupled with consistent excellence, I cannot fault Gaylord’s.

Normally the food is out of this world at Tamarind. However, at this business meeting for two, some of the food was, as usual, of its faultless excellent standard, but quite a few of the dishes disappointed and were not as good as I had previously experienced.

Service was exemplary. The bill was slightly more than I had anticipated over £400 for 2 with one bottle of wine.

• Visited January 2014
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Spectacular”
Reviewed March 8, 2014

We had a wonderful meal here in February. There were 4 of us in the party and we all enjoyed our meals. The staff were very helpful and looked after us all very well. The choice on the menu is impressive - definitely something for everyone, no matter how fussy! Will definitely come back and would recommend it to anyone.

Visited February 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Very good posh Indian Nosh!”
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

I dined with 6 friends for my husbands birthday on a Friday night. The staff were very pleasant and attentive. 5 of us opted for the taster menu as we couldn't decide what to have. The starter was excellent - the main good - the dessert not great. In comparison to other Michelin starred restaurants Tamarind is average - the food was very good but it didn't amaze me, which is what I expected. The atmosphere was also very subdued for a Friday night. Whilst I really enjoyed myself I don't have the burning desire to return soon but I would go back!

Hoddesdon, United Kingdom
“Posh venue, but standard Indian food”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

The venue and service is to a very high standard and was certainly impressive.

All the courses were tasty and wonderfully presented, but the flavour was similar to my local Indian restaurant. The price of the food is not really justified and it feels like you are paying for the venue and the service. Either that, or my local Indian restaurant is bloody good!

As I wasn't paying, I had a fantastic time, if I WAS paying, i'd have left a little disappointed.

• Visited December 2013