“Disappointing food and service”
Review of Spread Eagle - CLOSED

Spread Eagle
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Greenwich
Transit: Tube: Greenwich DLR: Cutty Sark
Description: With origins as a tavern and coaching inn from the early 1600s, The Spread Eagle had, by Victorian times, also gained a reputation as an excellent restaurant. Today it is still a landmark; setting the standard for fine food in Greenwich. This is West End dining away from the stress of the city.As you enter The Spread Eagle you are immediately enveloped by the classic surroundings. The walls are mounted with exquisite artwork featuring a range of distinguished artists and illustrators from the 17th century who were inspired by Greenwich.
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing food and service”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I hate to leave a bad review but we had so many issues with this restaurant i feel i have to. I bought a Living Social voucher, granted, so i know we're not priority but none the less we were still customers!

Had massive issues trying to book in, our reservation for Wednesday got cancelled meaning I could no longer take my partner as he had booked the night off for the occasion. This was the start of things to come. Although they were apologetic on the phone and helped to re-arrange on a weekend, we had paid extra for the evening meal and this wasn't worthwhile as 2 courses on a sat is only £13.

The building is lovely, beautiful interior. The meal itself was ok but they were very heavy on selling extras e.g. wine to bulk up the bill. The starter of crayfish salad and prawns was great, but my main Sea Breem was not cooked so i had to send it back halfway through. So my friend ate hers alone, then I ate mine. Not great. As an apology for the raw fish and cancellation, the waiter offered free dessert but at the end tried to charge us and retracted the offer! All in all a bit of a mess.

• Visited September 2013

yorkshire
“Enjoyable experience.”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

My wife and I dined here on a Social-Living voucher deal. We had 2 courses plus a glass of Champagne.
We had the choice of six starters and six mains. We chose the Salad(my wife) and Scallops(me).
Both starters were delicious. We then had the main course. My wife chose Trout, and I chose the Lamb, again the food was excellent. My wife's trout came with Mash and Veg as one item, so no sides were required. My Lamb came without a side, so I ordered Mash at £3 extra.
We were given tap water and Bread and Butter on the table, and we weren't hassled to buy wine.
Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our meal at The Spread Eagle. There was a 12.5% discretionary charge, but this was only £6 so it was acceptable.
I would DEFINITELY recommend the Spread Eagle, not only for the food, but also the wonderful paintings and other artwork around the walls.
It's just 3 minutes from the Cutty Sark Station on the DLR service.
I only rated the atmosphere as Average simply because there were only a couple of other people in the restaurant with us. If the place had been a bit more busier then the atmosphere would have been better.

• Visited August 2013
“A pleasant experience”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We visited with friends on a Thursday evening and had a starter and main course each. The menu choice was limited but all the dishes we ordered were of a high standard and the portion sizes were fine. The food could have been hotter, as could the plates.
Service was polite and friendly although the male waiter could have been a bit more attentive and proactive.
Prices seemed high at around 30GBP per person for 2 courses including a12.5% service charge and 4 glasses of house wine.
Although there were only a few other diners, the restaurant had a comfortable, cosy feel to it. Decor is interesting with a huge array of pictures throughout.

• Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Interesting building and food.”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is an Interesting old building near the entrance to Greenwich Park, with attractive dining rooms on two floors, the walls decorated with a mix of pictures and old signs with some excellent modern originals (including a John Bratby). We went for lunch, which was a fairly limited menu, but with some interesting dishes (for example lamb with endives and creme fraiche), nicely cooked and well presented. Staff were very personable and friendly, showing us around, and we were able to meet the chef. They say they do special interest evenings such as wine and food pairing and quizzes from time to time, and we intend to return.

• Visited March 2013
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Wonderful decor”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Four of us went to the Spread Eagle on a Friday without reservations and were accommodated successfully. The ambiance is quite "clubby" and the walls covered with maritime paintings. Surprisingly there were only a few tables taken but the food and service were very good. Portions are sensibly sized and there is a "prix fixe" menu which is good value for money. We were almost put off by the lack of customers when we looked in but were glad we stepped in. A useful choice instead of all the chains in Greenwich.

• Visited May 2013