“It looks good, but doesn't deliver”
Review of Spread Eagle - CLOSED

Spread Eagle
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Greenwich
Transit: Tube: Greenwich DLR: Cutty Sark
Description: With origins as a tavern and coaching inn from the early 1600s, The Spread Eagle had, by Victorian times, also gained a reputation as an excellent restaurant. Today it is still a landmark; setting the standard for fine food in Greenwich. This is West End dining away from the stress of the city.As you enter The Spread Eagle you are immediately enveloped by the classic surroundings. The walls are mounted with exquisite artwork featuring a range of distinguished artists and illustrators from the 17th century who were inspired by Greenwich.
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The Spread Eagle is a fairly famous restaurant that's had many a chef, waiter and customer pass through it's doors. It was good.....once. Not any more. I went in a small group and there were some good touches eg the starters but the main courses were mixed. The staff absent and forgetful when they did arrive and ignored the feedback given to them during and after the meal.

Second rate yet they pretend to be something special.

2  Thank RussellSpink

Reviewed January 2, 2013

Booked a table for NYE dinner, it was fix price menu and boy, it was fantastic. My scallops were perfectly cooked, bit brown on one side but not overcooked and still soft inside. The beef wellington perfectly sized and well cooked. Service very friendly and the food delivered promptly, if not too quick. We also received a £10 voucher for our next visit. Will be back.

1  Thank Gosia C
Reviewed December 31, 2012

My family and I broke with tradition this year and had our Christmas Day lunch here. We were welcomed by the front of house staff and offered a drink on arrival in the cosy bar area.

We were all impressed by our starters. Our main courses were good but the wait between courses was excessive, even allowing for a busy service. We had to ask several times for water and waited almost 30 mins for our desserts. They were excellent when they arrived. Coffee was expresso (no choice).

The price for lunch was £65 which we thought very reasonable for Christmas Day and overall we thoroughly enjoyed it. Minor improvements to the service (and better cooked roast potatoes) would have improved our experience.

1  Thank CBr123
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We went here to celebrate my birthday on December 23rd and came away disappointed. The decor is really lovely and sets you in the mood for a good evening and the waiters, albeit 2 of them, were very attentive, but we felt that as it was after the Christmas rush and the Sunday before Christmas they had Skeleton staff on duty and prehaps not even the correct chef. We were only offered the Fixe Prix menu - no Al la Carte available - which was very limited and not very inspiring. We had to wait almost an hour between our starter and main course which is unacceptable considering there were only another two tables and that what we had ordered wasn't really difficult to cook i.e mixed fried fish, Chicken in breadcrumbs, chips and green beans ! The presentation was unispring and the chips - all six of them - were tasteless and undercooked. I also noticed that the table opposite us had a side dish delivered after they had finished eating !! I wouldn't mind, but it wasn't even busy !! They also included a service charge on the bill which was a bit cheeky espcially after the long wait.
I believe this Restaurant has potential and it was such a shame seeing as it was a birthday Celebration, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt,being the time of year, although that isn't really an excuse and shouldn't be the case as everyone should receive the same service and quality of food whatever the time of year. If they can't offer the goods then prehaps they should consider closing as they're not doing themselves any favours by staying open. It's not the first time this has happened to us by having a birthday so close to Christmas. I will try it again though and hopefully we will have a better experience ..

1  Thank NR1London
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Loved the place, the food, the wine and especially the fact that someone invited me as it is quite pricey. The level of cuisine in London has really come on over the years and these people have learned top evolve with the times which is no surprise as historically speaking this was the oldest French restaurant in the UK dating back to the middle ages. The wine list is very good. The starters were well presented and of a high quality as were the main courses and the desserts. This is the best place I have eaten in in Greenwich and I have been to a few. Enjoy.

1  Thank Indiewheel