“Fantastic atmosphere and great food”

Smiths of Smithfield
Ranked #2,688 of 24,268 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Cafe
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Clerkenwell
Description: Smiths of Smithfield is a behemoth of a venue with four floors of a converted warehouse providing four distinct offerings. The Ground Floor Cafe is an open plan industrial space famous for top London breakfasts and the classic SOS burger. The First Floor Cocktail Bar and offers bespoke SOS and classic cocktails along with simple sharing plates and our 2 Private Dining Rooms. The 2nd Floor Dining Room with a focus on beef and meat reflecting smithfields meat market - located opposite, with an emphasis on provenance of the dishes and British food at its best. The Top Floor Restaurant and Terrace offers Rare Breed Meat cooked to perfection with stunning views across the city.
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I was lucky enough to have dinner at the fine dining restaurant on the top floor of Smiths last night.
The views over the rooftops of Smithfield and the Shard are magnificent and they seem to have redone the interior of the top floor and it now feels more friendly and less formal.

The restaurant was absolutely full and buzzing, the service was friendly and efficient and the food was excellent - the squid I had for starter was perfectly cooked with a lovely tangy sauce. I followed it with a fillet of cod, also very tasty and perfectly cooked. I just wish the squid portion had been 20% bigger!

Smiths has definitely got it's energy back and this shows through very clearly in the quality of the food served and the service. We had a great evening!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,267)

Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Great location for a drink followed by interesting food and great staff on the third floor.
Try the lift it is lined with red padded walls.
Go for a warm evening and enjoy an aperatif of after dinner coffee on the terrace although there are heaters for cooler evenings.
Good variety on the menu and well presented food, yes well worth a visit and reasonable prices.

1  Thank ciaoLincoln
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I have been tweeting with @SOSrestaurant all Sunday morning. This is a good thing, as we are tweeting about the great meal I had there last night. I called one of their steaks “almost erotic,” which I supposed grabbed their attention.

I’ll leave that to your imagination.

The Top Floor at Smiths of Smithfields is a grown up restaurant featuring: 1) a killer view of the City, 2) a sharp, crisp dining room with a well-curated soundtrack and 3) posh loos that rival some of the best designer bogs in Moscow. (Restaurants in the Russian capital put enormous effort into loo design. Go figure.) Oh, and yes, then there is the food.

We’ll get there in a second. The night started slowly.

I have a friend who likes steak. He and I are slowly making the rounds of London’s steakhouses. We also like vodka gimlets, a simple cocktail of vodka, lime juice (typically Rose’s, but whatever) and a bit of sugar.

This steak-and-gimlet habit has taught my friend and me many things. Among them is this: no one in London has any idea what a vodka gimlet is.

“A what?” came the first response when I ordered my drink, still waiting for my friend to arrive at Smiths.

Another waiter came back. “A vodka and gin?”

And finally, a third waiter came to ask, just one more time: “A vodkaaaa…..?

Me: “Gimlet. Gim. Let. Gimmmlet.”

The linguistic exercise worked. A few moments later, a vodka gimlet, bang on the money, appeared at my table.

Clearly, the bartender has internet access.

The rest of the meal unfurled gracefully. Prior to going to Smiths – I had been there a few times, ages ago – I had quick look at tripadvisor and saw that Smiths had taken some hard knocks for its service. If that was true, corrective measures are everywhere. The service was personalised, attentive.

The meat at Smiths is among the best of the London steak scene. As the restaurant is across the street from Smithfield Market, London’s primary wholesale meat market, anything less would be unforgivable.

It’s easier to screw up the rest of the meal, a trap Smiths sidesteps. Smiths creamed spinach is lively and textured, not the usual wet-dishtowel slop. The sweet, acidic tomato-and-onion salad stood above the packing material most places put on a plate. A fried squid starter – a cliché waiting to happen – escaped from doom on a carpet of aromatic greens.

Two weak spots: 1) I have had better chocolate fondants from Tesco. 2) If you have waitresses (and waiters, as it happened) with lovely long hair, tell them to wear it pinned up. I have nothing against long hair – it makes me jealous. I do, however, have something against long hair near food. Enough said.

Smith’s Top Floor is expensive. But you can have a version of the experience elsewhere in the restaurant. Smith’s four floors create an entire ecosystem of food and drink. The ground floor is a pub, plain and simple. Walk up one floor, and you’re in a cocktail bar. (Maybe there they know what a gimlet is.) Walk up another floor, and you’re in a wide open, warm dining room with a resoundingly middle-class menu. One more floor and you’re at the top, where the air is just that much thinner.

Yes, there’s a lift.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

Fabulous for meat eaters, set next to Smithfield market. Top floor dining room is elegant with views over the Old Bailey and has an outside terrace. Good service and consistently good food.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Great food and environment. Food was all very tasty. Wines were disappointing though. The Australian Pinot Noir did not deserve to be on the menu, it was awful and expensive. However overalll a great venue and ambience.

1  Thank HKM1