“OLD ENGLISH SPLENDOUR”

Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Trafalgar Square / Embankment
Description: Simpson's-In-The-Strand is currently closed for refurbishment, and will reopen in July 2017.
Lincoln
“OLD ENGLISH SPLENDOUR”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Food was great , service was very attentive , portions very large , I had the steak and kidney pudding which was great. Be aware service charge is 12.5%. Jacket and tie nolonger required

Visited March 2013

• Korean first
Houston, Texas
“Don't go with Kids”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We decided to go out with a couple from Houston visiting London at the same time.A friend recommended that this was a Kids friendly place.
IT WAS NOT!
Although a very nice restaurant with Piano ,Classy with nice bar,What brings the bad review is the service.The waitress not friendly,showed no interest in our group of 9 with 5 young kids,and did not mentioned anything bout house specials that we realized everyone else was eating after our mediocre Beef Wellington was consumed.Very expensive.I am starting to believe that any restaurants in London that have the service fe included have very poor service.Anyways the kids had pasta that the waiter huffed and puffed to be convinced to make,adults had beef Wellington One bottle of average wine = 250 Pounds.Get the picture?

Visited March 2013
1 Thank IoaMS
London, United Kingdom
“Poor and overpriced Sunday lunch”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I took a close friend of mine to Simpsons for the traditional Sunday lunch as it was his birthday. We had Roast beef and torkshire pudding and washed it down with the obligatory bottle of Claret.

The food was no better than a Sunday roast I could have done myself, but that I can forgive. The real disappointment for me was the way we were treated by the staff. Bearing in mind that both of us were wearing lounge suits and ties we were still treated as if we were tourists. There was no sense of grandeur and the waiting staff had a poor grasp of English and few "airs and graces". For me the coup de grace of rudeness was when we came to paying the bill. I paid in cash and placed the requisite amount of notes next to the bill and waited for the lady waiter to return. As she went to pick up the notes she inadvertently left one £20 note on the table. She then proceeded to count it in front of us (bad form) and when she discovered the money was short, she gave us a filthy look and asked what we were playing at ! I simply stared at her and slowly pointed to the £20 note that was still sitting on the table. All she did was say "Oh" and picked it up and walked away.

Subsequently i wrote a letter to the management and got my obligatory service charge refunded, but I'm afraid the damage was done. It was great once, but the days of Empire are long gone and the days of cheap labour and lack of attention to detail are here in force.

• Visited April 2012
5 Thank John S
Tokyo, Japan
“The reason I chose this restaurant.”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Because of Spenser, a hero of Robert B. Parker's novels.
He went there in the story titled The Judas Goat in 1978.
I had fixed two course for lunch, smooth duck liver pate with chutney for starters. Main dish was Roast rib of Scottish beef with roast potatoes, Savoy cabbage, Yorkshire pudding & horseradish.
The gravy source wis refined seasoning.
If you run out, they pour more it on the way.
The cooking of Savoy cabbage was perfect.
I ate so delicious Savoy cabbage for the first time.
At the restaurant of a wonderful atmosphere, I remembered Spenser.

• Visited April 2012
Warwickshire
“Excellent- a must go!”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We went here for lunch for my sisters birthday and the whole experience was amazing. We began with drinks in the bar which was very cosy and relaxed. We were then showed to the dinning room which was beautiful, felt like stepping back in time!

The food was excellent, I had the baby roast chicken which was beautiful and my sister had the roast beef- melts in the mouth! The tracle sponge is also highly recommended.

Beautiful place, excellent service!

• Visited March 2013