“expensive, but worth it”
Review of The River Cafe

The River Cafe
Ranked #1,049 of 23,718 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Perfect ingredients expertly prepared and served with friendly efficiency; quality of food clearly top notch: complete absence of cheffy shenanigans is a blessed relief, allowing freshness and flavour to shine - generous portions too. Interesting wine list, exclusively Italian as far as I recall, with standard markup. Buzzy atmosphere but a bit hard to find when arriving on foot!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,236)

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I just turned up at the River Cafe on Sunday without a reservation. The restaurant was packed, and we were told that unless we had a reservation we would only be able to eat at the bar - about to leave the Manager appeared and immediately gave us a table if we could vacate within 2 hours which was fine.
We had a wonderful lunch, the food was very well presented, the menu being quite different,and the service was excellent all the way through, obviously it is rather pricey, but you certainly get what you pay for!!

1  Thank Linda H
Reviewed April 4, 2013

After living in London for 2 years, my foodie husband and I finally decided to treat ourselves to River Cafe after hearing such rave reviews (and reading the Vogue piece) about this famous restaurant. I'd say it was one of our most disappointing dining experiences to date! The service was not that of an expensive restaurant. We had to routinely look around for our waiter to get attention, and it seemed like it was his first night on the job. When we asked questions about the wine menu, he said "well I suppose I could get the sommelier". He never asked me if I would like a drink, and when we ordered dessert, no one asked us if we wanted tea or coffee. The food itself was hit or mess: the wine risotto was wonderful, but the mains were a big disappointment. My husband's turbot had so many bones in it he couldn't even eat it, and it came with two bizarre vegetable sides that didn't make any sense. The bread was stale, and the olive oil bitter. Given the bill was nearly 100GBP per person, this rates as our most disappointing dining experience in London to date. Spend your money elsewhere.

3  Thank goa20
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Great food, well served in an amazing room...what more could you ask for for the celebratory business lunch or the family dinner. Always good

Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

This restaraunt is amazing great location and very romantic. The best waitress ever Rebecca Dean she made our visit so memorable. An asset to this venue.
Will return no hesitation.