“Private Dining”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
London, UK
“Private Dining”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

River Cafe has always been one of my favourite restaurants in London. I did the private dining for my 35th birthday for 18 people. The food and service were outstanding. I'm always slightly worried in large groups that the food won't be as good (or as hot), because of the logistics of such a large group. I shouldn't have worried, everything was perfect.

• Arabic first
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Expensive but food is superb”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Not easy to reach, and smaller than you think, but worth the trip and the food quality is superb. Risotto starter was sublime, each of the 3 courses was beautifully cooked and presented. it is a bit packed in and it does get very busy, but given the menu and the food I would certainly have it on your restaurants to visit list.

• Visited March 2012
London, United Kingdom
“good food, expensive, poor front of house service”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Front of house was dreadful really unfriendly, not acceptable given the expense. The food was good but doubt we would ever bother going back for that price one would expect a higher standard of front of house service.

1 Thank jackie p
West London
“Disappointing”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Turned up at valet parking and attended by a friendly and cheerful attendant. Once inside the atmosphere was buzzing. The tables are worryingly close together. At 7pm this was not an issue but by 8.30 we were knocking elbows with our neighbours. Service was attentive but a little amateurish. I declined the offer of a top up to my wine glass only to have £5 pounds of wine sloshed over my hand and paper tablecloth. Our party of three all ordered antipasti primi and secundi courses. Our first plate of calamari was huge but well cooked and flavoursome. Another in my party had crab which was also excellently cooked but worryingly large. Primi courses were the hits of the evening as my risotto was light,colourful and not too creamy. My partner's both had the seafood pasta and unlike other reviews they found the pasta to be well made and well cooked. On to the mains.. Unfortunately my attractive dish of monkfish was firm and juicy but devoid of flavour. My tranche of turbot was a beautiful piece of fish and well received. The wood pigeon was also flavoursome but all three dishes had unsuitable vegetables. These were spinach- which was fine -but the charred artichoke was bitter and braised onion was sloppy. All three dishes turned up luke warm arriving on tepid plates. To finish, a slice of lemon tart was a piece of lemon meringue pie was had lost its meringue. Espresso was good. Our valet parking chap whisked our car to the door promptly and fully deserved his tip at the end of a freezing night. Sadly, unlikely to visit again and would not recommend as too many other excellent restaurants in London.

1 Thank FabFourWestLondon
Dorset, United Kingdom
“Expensive but sylish”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This is a hard restaurant to find, in a decidedly non-stylish part of town surrounded by warehouses down on the river but once you're inside the glamour and style take you to a whole new world.
Food is exquisite but expensive - a special occasion dining experience! Lovely to go in the Summer when you can sit outside