“fancy Restaurant but it is worthwhile”
Review of The River Cafe

The River Cafe
Ranked #1,049 of 23,381 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I made a booking before I visited there, but I was a little bit busy(15 mins).
However staff was so kind & friendly and we got good seats.

It was the best Italian dishes that I have had!
Service was good , and dessert was also unforgettable.

Reservation should be done before you visit ,and it is possible via web site.
super easy!
A day before the day , you will get the confirm call
so please fill out the right phone number which you answer.
international call is also ok.!

Reviewed September 10, 2011

The atmosphere and service and quality of the food were all excellent but the only downside is the price at approx £ 100 per head inc 2 bottles of their cheapest wine . Definitely worth a visit just be ready for the bill .

1  Thank ianEngland
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We'd been hearing for years that it was a great resturant and it completley lived up to its hype. A friendly welcome, candid comments about the food ( we were warned off the Grouse since none of us were familiar with it) and everything was pitch perfect. Expensive to be sure but at least it was worth it. Too often dining in London is expensive and NOT worth it.

Reviewed September 5, 2011

FOOD POISONING: Suffered after diner at the river café last week. Not able to work for 1 week. Must have been either mozarella starter or fish main course. VERY DISAPPOINTING reaction of the manager since he did not seem to believe our feedback, needed a few days to "think about it and discuss" (in the end offered the bottle of wine of that diner). Service was good.

5  Thank silvan h
Reviewed September 3, 2011

I ate at River Cafe a good few years ago and remember a simple, but utterly delicious experience. Knowing that restaurants can fade quite dramatically once the accolades start rolling in, there was always the risk that standards had fallen.

Arriving at our outside table on a glorious sunny, warm day, the tone was already set for a fabulous long, lazy lunch. If you are looking for fancy new techniques, ingredients, and fusion combinations, this is not the place for you. If you want excellent ingredients done well, then indulge yourself at the River Cafe. Undeniably the prices are high, but the antipasti are definitely good for 2-3 people sharing. The serving sizes are not stingy. And how many restaurants do you know in London that serve top quality filtered still or sparkling filtered water at £1.50 per pitcher with unlimited refills? And the olive oil for bread dipping was indescribably good. I am no olive oil fan, but this stuff was peppery and full bodied without being cloying and over-powering. But now onto the food…

We started with the Scottish langoustines split and wood-roasted with garlic and parsley. Fresh, juicy and tasty. I found myself sucking every last remnants from it. Then followed with the linguine with Devon crab, fennel herb, lemon and dried chilli. Again, seafood this fresh, does not need much done to it. There was plenty of crab – white and brown – to give it a satisfying kick.

My main was the chargrilled marinated leg of lamb with salsa verde and verdura mita of aubergines, zucchini and peppers. The lamb was tender with distinctive taste of the grill. When meat arrives more cooked than I usually like, it is usually a bad sign. Not here. I could cut through it like a piece of fine fillet.

Our table indulged in share desserts of chocolate nemesis, which a flourless chocolate cake that the Italians do so well, and almond tart with victoria plums. The latter was particularly good. Parts was soft with ripe and oozy plums, parts extra crispy that complemented the creme fraiche beautifully.

Fearing we had not quite hit the peaks, we ordered piece of gorgonzola and was not let down. Strong and creamy, it proved that sometimes one is quite enough if it is good enough.

With regards the service, it was that curious mixture of professional and attentive, yet decidedly informal. The staff had a happy shift feel about it. How many restaurants in this price category do you know would have their staff lunch within view of their customers, and yet pull it off without it seeming weird?

I grant that the two times I have been, I have been blessed with great weather and ate outside in their great outdoor area. This does make it easier for the restaurant to please the customer.

One telling sign…we asked the staff if we could see the dinner menu (we had lunch) and – pointing at the nearby head chef nearby who was writing furiously – she said no because it had not yet been finalised and they had not been briefed. This means that the menu is changeable and reflective with what is in season. This probably does mean that sometimes not everything works out 100%, but I would take the risk.

Would I go again, absolutely yes!