“Really Disappointed”

Ranked #2,760 of 22,674 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: East End / East London
Description: Welcome to Rasa, an award-winning chain of restaurants bringing the taste of authentic, home-cooked southern Indian food to the UK The Name: Rasa is a Sanskrit word that has a wonderful wealth of meaning. It represents taste, flavour,affection, pleasure, delight, happiness, charm, sentiment, pathos, beauty and essence. At Rasa, you will find all this and more The Experience: At Rasa, our food is inspired by the authentic home cooking of beautiful, spice-rich Kerala, where all our chefs are trained. Food is our passion, prepared for you always with devotion, love, and the finest ingredients
cheshire
“Really Disappointed”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Was attracted by the excellent "Trip." reviews, the concept of a different Indian menu and the memory of a really great meal in the dim and distant past. The menu is different so the Rasa delivered in that respect but that was about it.
I didnt like the dips - the garlic one in particular was poor as it had that musty taste you only get from old garlic. The range of poppadom substitutes added nothing over the standard item.
My wife and I shared a starter which we both quite liked but was rather bland - nicely cooked and by far the best part of the meal.
Main course. She had the aubergene curry, I had the chilli pancake type affair, Neither of us could eat the curry although the coconut rice was fine. Mine was better but was really just flavoured mashed potato as a filling. It was accompanied by more flavoured mashed potato and a watery coconut chutney.
Both of us found the meal uninteresting and badly prepared. As a side issue, the dull lighting did not improve the ambiance, just made the place dark and everything on the plates look grey- maybe it was?
I'm aware I'm bucking the trend here so maybe I hit the Rasa on a bad day? Even so I wouldnt go back nor would I recommend

• Visited February 2013

Granollers, Spain
“Just as good as ever”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I remember when this restaurant opened and the owner was worried about making it a non-smoking zone. He wondered if it would put people off going there. We reassured him that there were lots of people who wanted to eat in a non-smoky place, never imagining that nowadays it would be impossible to smoke anywhere indoors in a public place in the UK!
The food was always great - it is totally vegetarian Indian food from Kerala. When I moved away one of the only things I missed was Masala Dosa from Rasa. Once I bought one and took it back to Cornwall on the night train!
On this visit I ordered the same dish as part of a takeaway. It was as fantastic as ever. This restaurant has never disappointed me. It is small, intimate, friendly and very reasonable.

London, United Kingdom
“reminds me of home”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

had a great time good food and great service & reasonable price we had a good time just like back home in Kerala :)

London, United Kingdom
“Try this place you will love it”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Lovely food , nice atmosphere , reasonably priced , clean . Staff are friendly and actually knowledgeable on all dishes thay serve ,.. I can't think of anything negative at all to say about this place , will be going back again and again

Surrey, England
“best Indian food I've had”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Loved the homemade chutneys with the poppadoms, the vegetarian part of the menu. All the dishes were enjoyed by my friend and I. Nice friendly service too. Will return!

• Visited December 2012