“Fantastic wine list, good food but lacking in atmosphere”
Review of Ransome's Dock - CLOSED

Ransome's Dock
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Clapham / Battersea
Transit: Tube: Sloane Square, South Kensington Bus: Battersea Bridge Train: Clapham Junction
“Fantastic wine list, good food but lacking in atmosphere”
Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

We had a pleasant dinner here on a Friday night.
The food was very good. We shared a gnocchi dish for entree which was presented beautifully & tasted good. I had the turragon chicken with potatoe croquettes for my main dish & my partner had the lamb with new potatoes, both dishes were good & left us full. We didn't need desert.
The wine list is fantastic & very reasonably priced with a great range of international wines, particularly good Australian wines.
Unfortunately the restaurant was fairly quiet so therefore was lacking in atmosphere.
The service was great, the waiters were not overly attentive and left us to enjoy ourselves which usually doesn't happen when restaurants are quiet.
I enjoyed the location on the dock, although the decor in the restaurant could do with a bit of a revamp.

United Kingdom
“Great food and value wear your sunglasses though”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

This place has an excellent chef and the lunchtime menu delivers good quality and interest.
Only trouble is: as Boulus said, it does need a facelift, the decor is just wrong. Simply put on your rose coloured shades(80s style will go well with the rest of the decor) and enjoy the food and all will be well.

• Visited July 2012
London
“Lost its charm”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Read previous reviews and sadly have to disagree. This was a really nice busy restaurant 4 years ago..
Returned after a few years of not visiting. Interior in need of facelift, no atmosphere at all and although it was very quite the evening our party of four dined, there was no effort to create any atmosphere. The nice exterior that looks out on to the dock was not even prepared for a pre meal drink and we were asked if we would like to sit outside at a choice of a messy uncleared table or unprepared tables with no chairs. Locals were using the bar as their home lounging around and and not really an inviting aperitif friendly area. The food was flavoured well, but we were served the smallest pieces of fish I could imagine. Although service was very good and all staff very nice, this was far from the Ransome's Dock of past!
OK for a lunch outdoors or group meal, but I would not recommend a romantic dining experiance.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank Paul C
Florence, Italy
“Best meal in London so far”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I've been to the Ransome's Dock last week and I had the best meal of my ten day vacation.
The fish I ordered was fresh and well cooked. The wine list was quite good and the service attentive. The bread looked (and tasted) homemade. The atmosphere was pleasant and the price we payed was reasonable. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank arianna g
“Great Experience”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Food, drink & service were outstanding . Concluded our visit to London @ Ransome's and it will prove to be a lasting one. It was a cold evening but the warmth and ambiance of the restaurant along the Thames overcame our chill. The menu was unique and the food was prepared perfectly and was delicious. The waiter was extremely helpful in explaining the menu and making recommendations. A bit out of the way but well worth it.

Visited April 2012