“Excellent lunch in the West End”
Review of Quo Vadis

Quo Vadis
Reserve with OpenTable
Quo Vadis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,424 of 22,808 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: Quo Vadis is one of London’s most iconic restaurants, with its instantly recognisable facade and fascinating heritage. The “Grande Dame of Dean Street” has been around since 1926 and continues to be a Soho institution, beloved by local residents, foodies, regulars and tourists alike. Restaurateur and food connoisseur brothers Sam & Eddie Hart took on the restaurant in 2008, and in 2012 the inimitable Jeremy Lee came on board as Chef Patron. Jeremy along with General Manager Andy Smyth, runs the building with charisma and charm. The menu at Quo Vadis changes change daily according to the produce offered to Jeremy by his enviable list of suppliers, many of whom Jeremy has built up very close relationships with over the years. Seasonality and sourcing is of paramount importance to Jeremy and his kitchen. Diners come to Quo Vadis to enjoy an eclectic array of dishes from the a la carte menu, which also features a popular Theatre Set menu that is available all day. The succinct and reasonably priced wine list has been put together by Sam Hart and wonderfully compliments all aspects of the menu. Sam does not rely on names or reputations but chooses wines on whether he thinks the customers will enjoy drinking them. He likes to blind taste and tries to select wines that have a real sense of terroir and place and from those, where possible, he picks organic and biodynamic wines.
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent lunch in the West End”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have now had several lunches here and have had consistently interesting and delicious choices. I have never been disappointed in the final result, all at an exceptionally reasonable price for the lunch menu. The room is light and spacious, you can hear your companions talk and I cannot recommend it more highly for a pleasant welcome and service. The new chef is a star.

• Visited January 2013

hertfordshire
“Rediscover Quo Vadis - new chef- great menu”
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

This was a spontaneous dinner stop and a great find. The menu has been revamped French/English fusion, a good selection from salmon in pea and anchovy sauce to beetroot salad with warm goats cheese. We had 3 courses and the bill was under a £100.

1 Thank Guideposts
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Quo Vadis - Where are you going?? Back out the door!!”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I recently attempted to visit this restauarant during a short break to London with my family, I thought it would be a nice treat for them, as they are a young couple with children and don't get out much to nice restaurants. Obviously there are many fine restaurants in the area, but my husband and I liked the look of the place from the exterior and thought how warm and inviting the place looked..........which just goes to show how wrong appearances can be.

True, we had been out all day and perhaps were not groomed to our usual standard, slightly wind-swept, but always interesting and yes we had bags including a Primark bag (horror of all horrors!) - but does this mean we are any less entitled to try their wares or sit at their table - apparently so!

As we entered, an extremely snobbish customer who was waiting to be seated looked at us as though we were dog excrement and made her opinion known in no uncertain terms to the Maitre d' who rather flustered informed me that she would check if there was a table available - two minutes earlier, however it had been no problem at all.........surprise surprise all of a sudden - there were no tables and in a pathetic, patronising tone, the Maitre d' said "Maybe another day....." Incidentally - there were plenty of empty tables, they simply chose to bow down to this rude and horrible woman, who did not know us at all.

Do they seriously think we would ever spend our money at this establishment or grace them with our presence ever again?? We went slightly fruther on and found an excellent restaurant with a far more impressive menu The Dean Street Townhouse for which I will leave an excellent review as they deserve.

It certainly was a Pretty Woman moment and even though we have eaten in far more exclusive restaurants than this, it really was an eye opener and if you are a good person - run a mile from this place and pop down the road to The Townhouse.

4 Thank Barbers26
London, United Kingdom
“Atmosphere let's them get away with poor food.”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

It was bad. I mean really not good at all. Service was pleasant and everything was perfunctory without fault but the food was dismal. I had oysters to start which were OK. My husband had the crab salad which was fine but it was our mains that failed to live up to the price, atmosphere and service. I had the duck which was completely overcooked and my husband had the sirloin which was really tough. It was just a poor piece of beef and that was obvious.

Not only that but they gave us corked wine and I have Ceoliac Disease and became so sick afterward. I'm wondering if the beetroot salad wasn't marinated in a soy sauce. The chips were no better than bar chips and overall, I couldn't wait to get out of there it was such a disappointment.

I also had the privilege of sitting next to another couple who seemed to be having a very similar disappointing experience.

I can only imagine this is local favorite because of the atmosphere it creates form the second you walk up to the door. Sophisticated, coddled, arty and in-the know but if being truthful, the food is completely & utterly uninspired. You can get much better in London for the money and atmosphere.

Very forgettable and not recommended.

1 Thank LAZ1609
London
“Would definitely go back...”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We went on a busy evening just before Christmas with another couple we'd not seen for a while. We booked this restaurant as it didn't seem too noisy, and although it was completely full, and we were delighted that we could hear what our friends were saying! The decor is a little unusual with beautiful stained glass windows, so you don't need to worry about people staring in! The wine menu is excellent and the food menu which is written very artistically on a card is not huge, so everything is very fresh. One of our friends is a full vegetarian and they were happy to adapt one of the dishes on offer to her needs. I chose a clear fish soup to start with which was excellent and main course of brill surrounded by what looked like mushy peas, but tasted very much more sophisticated... I was delighted with my choice, but had I been a hungry man I may have needed a side order of some chips... these are not included. I was however pleased that I hadn't had the imaginary chips myself, as the puddings turned out to be amazing and well worth trying! The service is very good and friendly, and I felt we'd had excellent value.

1 Thank Cleovix