“Nearly perfect”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fitzrovia
Description: Located in Fitzrovia, the heart of the West End, Pied a Terre is one of the capital's most established fine dining, Michelin-starred restaurants. Although established in 1991, it has been under the guidance of David Moore since 1998 and has gone on to gain some of the highest gastronomic awards and accolades possible. Beautifully appointed and radiating modest quality, the restaurant is charmingly intimate. As you expect, the service is professional yet discreet in order to maintain a relaxed atmosphere. For larger parties, the second floor private dining room seats up to 13 guests and comes with butler style service at no extra cost. Diners can also enjoy the exclusive bar on the first floor for drinks and canapes or exclusive wine tasting events. The cuisine is both simple and inventive, with care and attention to detail as the focus. Combine this dining experience with the outstanding selection of wines, and you have a match made in heaven.
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My wife and I visited last night (Monday) for my 29th birthday. Being a Monday we weren't expecting it to be bustling and indeed when we arrived at about 7.30 we were just the 2nd couple there. It filled out a bit more later but it always felt private and not like we were in other people's pockets (we went recently to somewhere were the two tables of two were so close it was uncomfortable with the pair next to us as we could hear every word of their conversation!).

The service was exemplary and the staff soon identified that we were not as stuffy as some Michelin dinners can be and had a nice line in banter with us over the evening which was playful and welcoming but never crossed the line into annoying - everything was very professional.

The one area I'd recommend is maybe a touch more pro-activity in terms of wine recommendations. I know this is tricky to gauge as some people like to think they're experts (and some people genuinely are) whereas some (like us) are happy to say what we like and have a suggestion of something we might like. Indeed, when we asked for a dessert wine recommendation to go with our dishes the choices were fantastic. For the main list though it just needed a quick check to see if we wanted to get some advice when the menu was delivered. When desserts come round more of a rapport has developed so asking for recommendations at that point seems more natural compared to much earlier in the meal when people who perhaps don't dine in Michelin restaurants that often are not sure of the etiquette!

The food itself was very good, if not quite spectacular. I had rabbit to start which was lovely but perhaps not as flavoursome as it could have been. My wife had quail which she loved.

The mains were venison for me and pork for my wife. Again, I think she got the good end of the deal as she loved hers (apart from an odd browny paste which was hidden under a leaf which we could not identify and she was not a fan of). My venison was exquisite but I don't quite think the accompanying elements lived up to the meat they were served with - it didn't quite hang together as a dish. The gnochhi was the least tasty thing I had all night, it should perhaps have been more in the vein of the croquette amuse bouche we had which was gorgeous, what's more, had I liked the gnochhi I would have wanted 3 as 1 was definitely on the stingy side!

Having said that, I cleared the plate, so this is really splitting hairs - it was still an excellent main course.

Cheese was lovely - steer clear of the epoisses (I think) unless you like the taste of alcohol soaked cheesy feet - it really is very strong but was fun to try.

The desserts, however, were out of this world. I had the chocolate tart with pistachio ice cream and it was heavenly - especially with the portugese dessert wine. My wife had something involving salted caramel and peanuts (I forget exactly!) but she said it was gorgeous and set off perfectly by the recommended madeira.

Then, just when you thought you were done there's post dessert nibbles and more petit four things - I ran out of names for them although I'm sure in french there's a description!

Overall, it was a lovely evening and I'd thoroughly recommend giving them a try. I can't say a michelin restaurant will ever represent good value for money but the experience is unique and one that everyone should do now and again.

Pied R, Owner at Pied a Terre, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Hi Alex, firstly happy birthday. Thanks for your considered feedback, I appreciate your comments and sorry you felt some of the dishes weren’t to your taste. Our dishes are creatively put together and we aim to push the boundaries with certain flavours and textures but as I say these combinations aren’t always to everyone’s taste. However, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the meal overall. In relation to the value for money, we do offer a 2 course lunch menu with a very reasonable price of £27.50 and do release special offers now and again so there is no reason why guests can’t enjoy a Michelin dining experience without reasonable prices. Thanks again for your comments, David Moore.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

First, you must go here if in London. Second, you must try the tasting menu. When the first dish came out, we assumed we were leaving hungry as the portion was so small. Four hours later, we were stuffed and our taste buds were shouting with joy. The amount of flavours we encountered was amazing, the service was over the top, and the amount of dishes served was above expectations. This was one of my top restaurant experiences ever.

Pied R, Owner at Pied a Terre, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Hi DGSSpeedyCreek, thank you for your comments. I’m pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the tasting menu and hope you’ll be back for more! Thanks, David Moore.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Myself and my girlfriend visited Pied à Terre recently for lunch. We are not from London and when ever we go we like to find a nice place to eat and I must say now, this is a fantastic place to eat!
Firstly we felt so welcomed when we arrived. Staff were warm and friendly, highly professional and all exceptionally good at all aspects of service. We have visited similar establishments in London and service at Pied à Terre was better than the rest for sure. The dining room is well presented & comfortable, along with excellent management of the dining area, created a calm and pleasant atmosphere.
We both ordered the set lunch menu which we thought was excellent value. Our starter of Tarragon risotto with lamb sweetbreads was delightful, elegantly presented and full of flavour - highly recommended. I had the Poussin and my girlfriend had the cod. Presentation was again excellent and highly inviting. The meat was cooked excellently - moist chicken with a lovely crispy skin sat on a fluffy and light onion pastry with a soft as silk pea puree. I could have eaten it all day.
On to dessert. We both had coffee with petit fours which i'd recommend if you can't fit in a full dessert. The cinnamon donuts were fantastic.

Pied R, Owner at Pied a Terre, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Hi lukepricey, thank you for your feedback. I love the fact you could’ve eaten your main course all day – that made me chuckle! We hope to see you again when you’re next visiting London. Regards, David Moore.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

One of the best restaurants I've eaten in. The taster menu was unbelievable, the waiters were very knowledgeable and the atmosphere is calm, comfortable and not pretentious. We visited when they still had 2 stars, so I'm not sure if it's still as good but I would certainly recommend anyone looking for fine dining and amazing food to visit Pied à Terre.

Highly recommended!

Pied R, Owner at Pied a Terre, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Hi Hannah, thanks for taking the time to review us, especially as it’s been nearly a year since you last visited! We’d love to welcome you back to judge for yourself if we’re still as good as you remember – we have a fantastic offer this month, the 7 course tasting menu is only £55 and it’s available for lunch and dinner Mon-Fri. Thanks again for your comments, David Moore.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We visited for a birthday lunch and had the set lunch menu. The food was superb! The starter of broad bean risotto with sweetbreads was one of the tastiest starters I've ever had on a set lunch menu and the cod main course was fantastic. The service was very friendly and the atmosphere relaxed. A great experience all round.

Pied R, Owner at Pied a Terre, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Hi UkTraveller1001, thank you for your review and please come back for another lunch when it’s not your birthday. We hope to see you again soon, David Moore.