“A Smooth Performance”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Marcus

Marcus
Ranked #191 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Belgravia
Description: One of London’s most acclaimed restaurants, Marcus combines two Michelin-starred cooking with a relaxed, contemporary space. With Marcus Wareing at the helm, working closely with head chef Mark Froydenlund, modern British food using the highest quality produce is executed to exacting standards, to evoke and create lasting memories. Dining options include À La Carte, Taste and Lunch menus, a spectacular Chef’s Table for up to 10 guests – the best food theatre in London – and The Salon, an elegant private dining room, flooded with natural light, for groups of up to 16.
Oslo, Norway
“A Smooth Performance”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

I popped in on spec at 2 pm. I had no idea if there would be a table (for one) and if so, whether the kitchen would be in danger of closing. I need not have worried. In fact, the staff here are experts in dispelling all worries. I immediately felt I was in expert hands and was led to my table.

I went for the lunch tasting menu - no problem starting at 2 o'clock! Rather than taking the accompanying wines, I just took a few by the glass. This was all sorted out with minimum fuss but with helpful pleasantness by the sommelier. All staff knew what they were doing and there were enough of them to do their jobs very well. (This in contrast to The Square when I had lunch there in the summer).

The food was very good; the lamb and beetroot was perhaps my favourite. The atmosphere was that perfect combination of relaxed, inclusive, and yet formal and elegant. The bill came in around 240 pounds for a smooth and accomplished performance lasting three hours: worth it I would say.

• Visited January 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Moscow, RU
“Huge disappointment”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We were looking forward to this special dinner for some weeks. While making reservation and reconfirmation I have mentioned that we will be celebrating 60th birthday of my husband. During the whole meal no sign of any greetings of our special occasion appeared(while some tables around us were treated with some cakes with candles and so on...
When ordering food I also mentioned that I am intolerant to the lentil and I would appreciate it if they could replace it with something to serve with the pigeon - main course. The amuse bouche was somehow tasteless and not inspiring.
My fois gras starter came raw completely with the consistence of jelly - I doubt if it was the right way of presentation of this starter .
My husband's ordered the halibut as the main course and received sea bream instead. Is it 2 stars restaurant?? I have dined at numerous starred restaurants and never expected such a bad dinner from 'one of the top London restaurants'.
The desserts were great as well as mushroom risotto.
Unfortunately I must say that the service was disorganised and we had loooong pauses between courses.
But both sommeliers were brilliant, it was a pleasure to discuss wine choice. They even suggested me an alternative wine which was not in the list and it was absolutely fabulous (I am a sommelier as well).They also offered me a small tasting of a very special Bourgogne Grand Cru when I mentioned that I have recently visited that winery.
You are given a small sweet present on your departure - a tiny plastic bag with honeycomb which is sugar+baking soda. Is it supposed to become a delicacy for foodies?
One of my best gastronomic experiences was a fabulous lunch within the same room - in 2007 when Petrus was still there.
What was wrong this time?? The chef wasn't in?.....

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank magvictoria
“It's all in the taste”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

A group outing, we had the set lunch menu with wines. There were 2 choices for each of the 3 courses with very simple descriptions of each dish. The table was almost empty when we sat down and so expectations were not high - however suddenly glasses & plates appeared, bread was brought then cleared as the starter arrived, along with the white wine. A small fingers width & length of mackerel, parsnip and partridge with some greenery carefully balanced in the centre of the bowl was greeted with an exchange of concerned glances. A small jug was produced per dish and a mushroom coloured liquid was added.The first taste was sublime! what huge intense flavours - the main course was once again modest in size but big on taste the 4 chips were perfectly cooked, the beef so tender it melted in the mouth and the sauce amazing. Standards were maintained with a delicious tart and dessert wine. A tour of the kitchen was a welcome bonus.We all agreed that this meal was on a par with La Gavroche - the depth and intensity of flavour possibly better!

• Visited December 2013
angela24c
“Fabulous, except....”
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We had the Tasting Menu and it was fabulous. Interesting combinations and flavorful dishes! We were given an extra "new" dish of grouse and it was divine - totally yummy! The service was spot-on and we even got to visit with the chef.

The only draw back to our dinner was when we were leaving. We had a late reservation on Friday night and did not finish dinner until after midnight. When we went to get a taxi we were told by the concierge - good luck. Apparently the underground had closed for the evening and taxis were in high demand. The concierge did not seem to have the power to call one for us so we waited over an hour for a taxi to pick us up. My suggestion would be to schedule a car service for any late evening dines.

• Visited October 2013
London, United Kingdom
“One of the best dining experience”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Must try ! It's was out of this world , we had the tasting Menu with wines the wines were as amassing and the dishes
Rx