“Not a good experience!”

Ranked #217 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Belgravia
Description: One of London’s most acclaimed restaurants, Marcus combines two Michelin-starred cooking with a relaxed, contemporary space. With Marcus Wareing at the helm, working closely with head chef Mark Froydenlund, modern British food using the highest quality produce is executed to exacting standards, to evoke and create lasting memories. Dining options include À La Carte, Taste and Lunch menus, a spectacular Chef’s Table for up to 10 guests – the best food theatre in London – and The Salon, an elegant private dining room, flooded with natural light, for groups of up to 16.
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I'm not at all surprised by the negative reviews that I have just read regarding recent visits to this restaurant. We visited with our 2 children for lunch. I made the restaurant aware on booking that our children would be attending also and was told this was fine. I also noted on reviews that it stated 'Children welcome - at any time'. I do not think this is the case. The staff were generally unwelcoming, and for some reason made me feel uncomfortable. One waiter that attended us was very pleasant and friendly but unfortunately I did not note his name. Between starter and main course I was politely asked to "take a walk" with our son as he was making noise! Neither of our children were making any noise at the time but I hastily exited that restaurant. I did consider leaving at this stage (and wish I had) but after some time returned to the table where my husband and daughter was waiting. We finished our meal and left - with a sour taste in our mouths!! The staff did apologise to my husband on leaving but it makes little difference. I'm sure they will not care too much but we certainly would never return!
This is the third Michelin-star restaurant in London that we have visited. Food average, worst experience.

1  Thank ail36
There are newer reviews for Marcus

Reviewed May 1, 2013

An outstanding experience, 4 girlies booked the chef's table for lunch to celebrate our friends 40th, excellent service and outstanding food. Alison that took our bookings and kept in contact all the way through and then sent me an email the day after to make sure we had a great time and sending us a signed copy of our 8 course menu and wines, i've never experienced that level of service when booking a table. Leon our waiter for the day was again faultless, attended to our every need with a smile.
Marcus was in the kitchen this day and allowed us to see the master at work, fantastic sight. Our food was 8 courses of total beauty and loveliness and the 4 hours experience one that we won't forget in a hurry.
would highly recommend the chefs table at marcus Wareing you will NOT be disappointed.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

For me, a recent near-perfect feed from Helen Darroze proved a very tough act to follow for Marcus Wareing.

Had the 6-course "taste" tasting menu. The best-end of lamb / belly with bitter nettles was truly world class, and a genuinely new experience - could not be improved. Yes, this is what we like!!! The rest was merely well-executed but a bit uninspired - not quite good enough at this level. Case in point - crab version of coronation chicken. One dimension to this dish only - a zing from the sultanas. Apart from that you might as well just get crab meat from the supermarket and put it on a plate,

Particularly ordinary and disappointing desserts. An apology of a pomegranate palete-cleanser (please don't list it as a course if that's all it is!) followed by what was basically a slice of lemon cheesecake with a few bits of dry meringue knocking around. We also tried the chocolate dessert which I'm afraid to say didn't even produce a flicker on the croydonspider chocolate scale.

Nice wine pairings and excellent service.

Shame as the lamb dish was a flash of sheer brilliance and clearly didn't happen by accident. Just wish the other 5 dishes had impressed as much.

We're not allowed half-ratings, so in fairness to the restaurant I should say that whilst I rate it 3.5/5 my partner was more impressed and rates it 4.5.

1  Thank croydonspider
Reviewed April 25, 2013

This was a special occasion celebrating 2 birthdays and started off well. The starters were excellent. However the mains were a huge disappointment. One was so over salted I had to send it back. The sauce of another was horrible and had covered everything. The best i can say about the desertsis that they were average. This was not what I expect from a restaurant of this standing! Marcus Waring was present, but quite obviously too busy meeting everyone who had requested an audience,rather than ensuring the quality and service extended to all guests. It was often difficult to attract the attention of the serving staff. I regret going and paying the extortionate bill. No one was concerned that we had not enjoyed the evening.

Reviewed April 24, 2013

A good, if old-fashioned, michelin starred restaurant. The reception in The Berkeley was surprisingly poor - no welcome, no signage and we had to hunt for someone to ask our way. The restaurant itself provided flawless and friendly service. The environment was lovely, although a large cheese board in the centre of the dining room was a massive faux pas. The food is, as you would expect, very good, but a little unadventurous. Overall, a thoroughly enjoyable lunch.