“Could not have been better”
Review of Marcus

Marcus
Ranked #222 of 23,391 Restaurants in London
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Belgravia
Description: One of London’s most acclaimed restaurants, Marcus combines two Michelin-starred cooking with a relaxed, contemporary space. With Marcus Wareing at the helm, working closely with head chef Mark Froydenlund, modern British food using the highest quality produce is executed to exacting standards, to evoke and create lasting memories. Dining options include À La Carte, Taste and Lunch menus, a spectacular Chef’s Table for up to 10 guests – the best food theatre in London – and The Salon, an elegant private dining room, flooded with natural light, for groups of up to 16.
Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband organised a retirement celebration dinner at the Berkeley last night. The food was excellent as was the service. Our lovely young waiter was patient and attentive. The food was delicious. I am a vegetarian and a number of the guests had kosher food. Everyone was accomodated. There are magicians in the kitchen.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Great service - I informed the restaurant in advance I had an intolerance to gluten and they took care of it. Not only that, they provided me with the best gluten-free bread rolls I have ever tasted (baked fresh). My husband thought the rolls were even better than the "normal" bread. They even had a different gluten free bread to go with my foie gras. The gluten-free dessert was great too (essentially a "normal" dessert with the gluten bits stripped-off). One of the best desserts I have come across and a nice variation of the classic sticky-date pudding. I read some bad reviews on the sommelier but we had no issues - we were recommended a nice Italian red (priced very reasonably and less than we would usually spend for wine at a restaurant of this calibre). So why am I not giving the restaurant an overall "excellent" rating (and I feel very bad about this as service was top notch) - on the main course - I just was not as blown away as I have been at some other restaurants (just being very honest). It could have been due to my stuffed nose but I'll most certainly be back again. The reservations team (I dealt with Roman Nogiec) deserves a special mention for superb service (we were also given a tour of the kitchen). My husband said he would have given an overall "excellent" rating.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Went to Cheff Marcus recently for lunch very nice setting with great staff.
We had the tasting menu accompanied by wines selected by the Somellie.
Great experience!!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

The greeting we received was very friendly when we were escorted into the restaurant. The setting was superb and we were seated in a very nice corner table. The food was fantastic and the staff provided great service. The staff made us feel very relaxed and had a few laughs with us.

To top off what was a perfect evening, we were invited into the kitchen and had a chat with a few of the kitchen staff including the Sous Chef.

Just one final comment, the staff at the Berkeley Hotel was very helpful. When we arrived and asked where the restaurant was, the gentlemen took us over and made sure someone was there to look after us as we were the first guests of the evening.

We will be booking another meal at this restaurant without any hesitation.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

My partner took me here for my birthday surprise; he knew I’ve wanted to go there for years and I thought it was so sweet of him to book this place. We had a lovely secluded table in the corner. I didn’t really feel like having a drink so we declined any champagne, wine etc. But I was intrigued by the wine list; it’s more like a wine bible with such a great selection. However, very expensive too (unless to have the cash to splash!) The dining room itself is lovely, nice and intimate. We were given the menu, there was a choice of a la carte, tasting menu and the chefs menu. My partner insisted we go for the ‘chef’s menu’. There were eight courses on the menu, but I’m greedy so I was ready for the challenge. We had the scallops with the white asparagus to start with. This was an absolute delight. It soon became apparent that the menu was written in an understated way, and we were going to be ‘wowed’ by what we actually would receive. This is why I am not going to spoil the dishes and explain what they looked like because I reckon it will ruin the ‘surprise’. All I will say that each dish was divine, very well thought out, a great fusion of flavours and tantalises your taste buds. We were absolutely taken aback when one of the waiters asked if we would like a tour of the kitchen, I wanted to jump up and down on my seat and clap screaming ‘yes’, but I looked around and thought this is not the place for those kinds of shenanigans! We were shown around the kitchen and let’s just say it was a memorable experience. It’s so nice to see what goes on behind the scenes. We spoke to the head chef who was friendly and charming. We then were taken back to our table, and then served the pre-dessert and dessert. When the dessert came out, the waiters presented me with an extra dessert with a candle. I was taken aback. I thought it was a lovely touch. I spoke to my fiancé and he said he had informed them when he made the booking about it being my birthday. He then told me that the reservation staff were lovely and friendly they couldn’t do enough for you. On the whole, I had a lovely evening, but to be honest that was more to do with the lovely surprise that my partner organised and time we had during our meal it was truly magical (ok you can bring out the sick bucket!). The food was lovely, but didn’t blow me away. I suppose my expectations were pretty high, considering all that I had heard and the fact this place had two Michelin stars! The staff were efficient, some waiters were more relaxed and made conversation which was nice, some were just doing the job with efficiency. But I found the latter a bit robotic. To summarise I had an amazing evening and felt special. I enjoyed the food, was it wasn’t the best I’ve had. One thing that I absolutely hated was…cold bread! I think the bread could have been better. I’m not sure if I would go here again, but then again there are so many Michelin starred restaurants in London that I want to try.

Been to Marcus? Share your experiences!