“Over priced, poor quality food - not worth a visit!”
Review of Neal's Yard Salad Bar - CLOSED

Neal's Yard Salad Bar
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Visited this cafe for lunch and was stunned by the price of their Tuna Salad. £10 for cheap tinned tuna, an egg and lettuce leaves to make the plate look full. Definitely more of a tourist trap than a pleasant eatery.

I've tried other restaurants in neal's yard and they have been very good value for money. This is most definitely the first and last time I will visit this Salad bar! Awful!!

1  Thank Ric83_28

Reviewed August 12, 2012

This is a lovely location on a summer's day. I just had a relaxing back rub at the "Walk in Back Rub" place next door. I've had take away's here some years ago and remember enjoying the veggy pasta. I came by the day before and took away a delicious portuguese tart and a coke in the old fashion bottle. I was encouraged to sit down and be served, but I said i was just looking at the deli and might take something away. He turned and quickly lost interest. I don't think take away is encouraged.
Today I thought I would treat my self to a nice fresh juice and lunch. I ask to sit at a table that just came available. The young man was very nice and professional. He explained he just needed to clean it. I sat and asked if they had fresh juice. He said yes, but being his first day he was still learning about the menu. He said they had apple and listed others etc, I decided on apple,carrot with ginger. He went off and I continued to look at the menu. Another young man came to the table with a nice welcoming smile and asked if I would like a drink. I said thank you, but I already ordered. Then a much older man came to me and asked for my drink order and reminded it was a CASH only cafe. I said that is fine, but I did order a juice a few minutes ago.
NO NO,he was pleased to correct me. He said he is not a waiter. He don't have this waiter pad to write it down. SEE, as he pointed at his pad. You give the order to ME. His manner was UNPLEASANT. So I curtly said I ordered a juice and explained the type. He said have you decided what to eat, no no your not ready are you. I said, I think I do know what I want, I would like the pasta with,( before I finished he said) ,here ,these are the pastas. No I said I would like the vegetable pasta like they serve to go . Oh yes, that is this one. I looked and said, WOW, that is 17.50, I said that is 12.50 more then take away. He said thats because of the tax man, the lease etc etc. I thought ok, I don't mind, you must charge more if one is sitting at their tables being served. But surely it must come with a salad or something ,I only wanted to ask. He wouldn't let me get my question in before saying IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD IT, get a take away there inside and sit over there, pointing at a circular barrel bench to eat it, at the top of his voice. I felt insulted, I had to defend myself and say but I can afford it. OH SO YOUR A RICH MAN, good for you! what is the problem then, with his face all screwed up. I asked to have another waiter at this point as the lovely calm I had from my back massage was disappearing. He said NO NO, were not serving you, you must have a unhappy life. I said PLEASE,just go away, just go away and get me the manager. He proudly told me I AM THE MANAGER, so you leave NOW. I said, ok, do you own this place? NO. OK, I would like to contact the owner. He went off, came back with the a card. May i have your name please I asked him, he push his face into mine and said YES, it is HALEO, or something like that. I'm not sure, even though he spelt it twice very loudly to me with his face even more twisted then earlier while rocking his head back and forth as he pronounced each letter. H A L E O. I got a pen out of my bag , but i was shaking with anger and felt completely humiliated in front of the other dinners and could not write it down. He went off to clear a table next to me, the couple not surprisingly said no to dessert or coffee. At that point most waiters would ask if you enjoyed your meal, but he said , AWW, BUT YOU HAD A GOOD TIME???
as if to say,have you enjoyed my show? you see, I am the boss!

3  Thank strodew
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Neal's yard itself is a lovely location and the setting is beautiful, so we had high hopes of the restaurant for lunch. But I wish I'd read these reviews first - we didnt have a good experience at all. I was appalled to get a small cup of hot water with a tea bag on the side for £3.00. When I asked for some more hot water, I was told it wasnt policy to offer refills but I could have some cold tap water. ??! The tuna salad was cheap tinned tuna, iceberg lettuce and a sliced tomato. The staff kept clearing plates and glasses away as each person finished, and at one point were hovering over me waiting for me to finish eating! It was quite funny in a surreal sort of way.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

We went to Neal's Yard to see the beautiful square and decided to stop for some food. The restaurant lay-out is quite scattered as they have tables in various spaces over the square. the service is not the best, slow slightly disorganised seeming only to have stared in the restaurant. We ordered pizza for £7 each. The pizza was delicious and there were plenty of toppings on the pizza. more than enough to fill the stomach.

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I love Neal's Yard, it's an iconic part of Covent Gardens. So visiting all the way from Australia, I thought I would take a trip back there. This was the first time I have ordered at the salad bar, and it will certainly be my last. I ordered the vegetarian spinach and ricotta pie, with a side salad. Well the pie seemed like it was a tesco pie and the salad was about the quality a three year old would produce. I hate writing bad reviews, but today cost me £14, and it wasn't worth a cent. Don't bother with this place they were kind to busy to provide good service and the food was less than average.

1  Thank DRSeymour