“Good food in a lively restaurant”
Review of Moro Restaurant

Moro Restaurant
Ranked #877 of 23,381 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European
Neighborhood: Clerkenwell
Description: It might be one of the hippest venues in one of the hippest parts of the capital but this Clerkenwell restaurant still manages to be relaxed and more concerned with good food than being trendy. The restaurant’s décor with its polished wooden floors, long zinc bar and open view to the kitchen and its charcoal grill and wood-burning oven is functional but welcoming. The Moorish cuisine complete with subtle European influence is every bit as striking as it was when the restaurant opened its doors nearly ten years ago. Tapas served all day at the bar. Reservations taken by phone and directly from our website.PLEASE NOTE - Moro restaurant is now open seven days a week. Please refer to our website for correct opening hours
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I booked the table using the on-line facility. That was really straightforward. I received a call during the day to confirm that the table was still needed which i like as it confirms they have the booking.
Arrived at the restaurant at 7pm and shown directly to our table. The restaurant was proably 1/3 full at this time (Thursday night).
We ordered our aperitif at the same time as our meal and was a bit disappointed that whilst this was bought first, the starter was served before we had finished. No real issue, but it would have been nice if the starter had been held back.
I had "poached egg in yoghurt" to start - unusual but delish!! Served with fried sage leaves at pine nuts.
Helen had cuttlefish which she said was very like squid but very tasty.

I has the lamb as a main, served with black beans in anchovy sauce. The lamb was amazing and whilst the beans were good i didn't really get the anchovy taste. My desert was a yoghurt cake with pistachio and pomegranate. It isn't really a cake at all - more like a plate of yogurt with a cake mixed in sprinked with nuts etc. That description doesn't do it justice because it was a great desert. I had it with the recommended fino and i would tell everyone to have the same. It really compliments the dessert.
Service was great - attentive but not in yur face and food was brought promptly. Service of 12.5% is included
We left at 9 and by then the restaurant was virtually full. Its got a great informal atmosphere. Tables are quite close and normally that bothers me but it didnt here. I think that was becasue the vibe is so good.
A summary would be "Good food - great night". Its definitey worth a visit and there are a couple of good pubs nearby too!!

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I was very excited when invited to this restaurant as my host raves about it. In short, I was deeply disappointed. My starter was described as a delicious game stew. Being Irish I know what a stew should look and taste like and this was far from a stew. It was served in a terracotta tapas dish and was filled with an overcooked, dry, variety of game. No liquid, no veg, nothing but dry shredded meat. I hid my disappointment and looked forward to my wood oven roast pork with roasted beetroot. What arrived after a considerable wait was two slices of tough pork, with tiny pieces of just about roasted beetroot and some limp rocket salad. The crackling was excellent but I didn't order it for the crackling. Massive disappointment. Another guest had chosen the same and we decided to order some chips between us - this took 20 minutes, arrived in a bowl with no serving fork or spoon and what we got were about half a dozen chips and the rest were "bits". Service was inattentive. Restaurant was boiling hot (this is November we're talking about). Lighting was very bright where we were sitting. I was bashed on the shoulder three times by waitresses serving other tables. All in all, it was cramped, hot, poor service and very disappointing food. I would not return to this restaurant and would not recommend it either.

1  Thank Lush28
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Much the same as before tried some different dishes, from a menu with not a huge choice- service patchy at busy times, and its lively bordering on being too noisy. Perhaps its my age. Had deep fried anchovies, for starter- and a fantastic lamb for main plus a bottle of tempranillo and loved it all. Good vegetables with the lamb, great smoky flavour- but I will go again, but when its not so busy.....

Reviewed November 14, 2012

We showed up here without a reservation at 8pm on a Friday and were shocked to be shown to a table right by the window.

The restaurant is very pretty - open concept, high ceilings, long bar - very nice.

We ordered a bottle of wine and some mains - no starters - and were surprised to see the food in front of us in about 8 minutes - too fast by all accounts. We ordered the bream, mussel and scallop tagine and two orders of the grilled sea bass with gem lettuce and roasted squash. The Tagine was delicious - the meal of the night. The sea bass was very good, but the most memorable thing on the plate was the gem lettuce, which tastes as though it was steamed in coconut milk - it was wonderful!

For dessert we shared the cheese plate (which we gather was not appreciated by our server (and we had three or four over the course of the night) as it was placed in front of us with a snarky comment - we clearly did not order enough - oh well). We washed it down with some port and sparkling wine.

You can get similar food, with better service and prices in town, but this place is very nice and the food is presented very well.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Had a fabulous dinner here. Great Moroccan-Spanish flavors and great lively atmosphere. Good value for money compared to the quality of food.