“Sad and uninspiring”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Moro Restaurant

Moro Restaurant
Ranked #690 of 22,376 Restaurants in London
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Clerkenwell
Description: It might be one of the hippest venues in one of the hippest parts of the capital but this Clerkenwell restaurant still manages to be relaxed and more concerned with good food than being trendy. The restaurant’s décor with its polished wooden floors, long zinc bar and open view to the kitchen and its charcoal grill and wood-burning oven is functional but welcoming. The Moorish cuisine complete with subtle European influence is every bit as striking as it was when the restaurant opened its doors nearly ten years ago. Tapas served all day at the bar. Reservations taken by phone and directly from our website.PLEASE NOTE - Moro restaurant is now open seven days a week. Please refer to our website for correct opening hours
London, United Kingdom
“Sad and uninspiring”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Sadly unconvinced by all the hype. Service was well below parr, slow service, our waiter forgot our drinks 4 times, we had to get up from the table twice to ask for our drinks again. The menu was uninspired and under seasoned. There are far better restaurants in London we were very disappointed after reading all the reviews and after recommendations from colleagues who work in hospitality. Sadly 6 people disappointed and £50 per person not worth the money. Extremely disappointing

3 Thank Gingersnap68

• Polish first
Paris
“Long awaited, bit of an anticlimax”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

Living in Paris, I enviously observe what seems like a much more vibrant international food scene on the other side of the Channel. Moro sounded like just my thing - adventurous cooking from the Near East to Spain, the kind of thing you can't find here. So, why a disappointment? The wine list was fine. The snacks, fine. The actual menu, though, sounded more interesting than it tasted. Lots of ingredients that intrigued but didn't really gel on the plate, or not alwasy. In fact, the plainest dishes tended to be the best. Very pleasant, but hyped (Public Enemy, as usual, had it right on that score).
As for Trip Advisor, why do judgements go straight from average (3•) to very good (4•)? Moro is good. I think you need 6 circles.

• Visited April 2012
Edinburgh
“Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Just had the most delicious meal in this restaurant earlier this evening. Words fail to describe the quality and attention to detail. One small problem over a waiter with too much attitude was dealt with in such a professional and customer friendly way we can't thank the manager enough, she is a credit to this organisation and this makes me want to come back. The staff were attentive, knowledgable and friendly. If you come to London and fail to come here then you will loose out on a great experience.

Tokyo, Japan
“Sheep herd, birds flock, people just follow”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

I eat at many restaurants globally and I know my taste of food is high and trying something different is best.

This place though is just where people follow each other etc ..... Why??

I have never heard of a restaurant having a 2 hour time limit. If a restaurant needs that it's either milking its customers / treating them like dirt or not pricing itself correctly. Though if it has all these good reviews then it seems there are a lot of people whom are happy to take their 'earnings/salary/expenses' and be told how long they have to eat ..... To me that does not make sense ..... You spend money to eat and enjoy and that you cannot do when you have a time limit.

As for the restaurant I went as my wife was keen to try the food whilst we were visiting London and from which she had the cooking book "Moro" as a gift. The restaurant size is bigger than we were expecting and the food rather unadventurous ....perhaps it's adventurous if you are a 'Londoner' having not experienced much else in the world?

Food was fine, though nothing special, and of the whole evening there really was nothing to recommend.

My bill for 3 people was GBP 400 and from a 7pm booking we remained being the last customers ..... Though we were not reminded of the time limit after ordering the second bottle of wine. At the outset we were reminded of the 2 hour time limit at least 5 or 6 times. If I had none I would never have gone.

If you are someone that has not eaten this food before and is happy to spend whatever money you do at this restaurant then go ahead and 'follow the crowd'. London has many other exceptionally good restaurants to visit other than this

Disappointing

And the book went into the bin .....

Shepperton, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent flavours, a real treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012

I visited Moro on a saturday lunchtime with three companions. We guessed we were in for a treat when the substantial 'artisan' bread arrived and we tasted a very good red wine from Valencia that had the right blend of guts and finesse for this sort of lunch. I had an artichoke, minced lamb and goat curd starter that was delicious. The others saved space for dessert. We all had different main courses featuring lamb, chicken sea bream or sea trout - each with highly appropriate accompanying vegetables, herbs and spices. All exceptional. My companions then had ice creams flavoured with raisins or rose water, again nothing but praise. We finished with good coffee, strong but not bitter. Service was friendly and informative.