“Hype lost - aiming at passing trade”
Review of Momo

Momo
Ranked #680 of 23,707 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Moroccan
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Kick back, relax and capture the mood of the moment. We are a cafe and a restaurant, a la Marrakesh-souk-meets-Parisian-troquet style! Savour our traditional Moroccan mint tea whilst sharing our authentic mezze either on our terrace or inside our Mo Cafe... Our lovely terrace is available for bookings in the daytime for lunch or brunch, and is available on a walk-in basis in the evenings.
Reviewed February 15, 2013

The loud ambiance is getting to touristy levels now. It is moving in the direction of losing the very core ingredients that made it the great place that it first was known as.

Please note that my comments are based on years of enjoyable patronage; however the service and thus charm of the place are in fear of being lost. It is also worth noting that I have been all over Morocco, and so have experienced various dishes in many differing parts of the country and will maintain that the food at Momo is still tiptop and true.

So, it is in short a victim of its own success. So many people - often tourists - come here you have a now passing trade feeling about the service and the way you feel as a customer. They no longer make that extra effort to deliver. The moment this attitude filters through to the kitchen it will be no better than a decorated Nandos.

Too many Groups seem to now go there to have the Birthday experience. Which is loud and disturbing once, but to have to go through that on every visit negates this restaurant as a place for a beautiful meal and conversation in peace. & The unfortunate thing is, it now seems the louder and more demanding you are the more attention you get from the staff.

This was the first restaurant in this corner, it changed the area and the others followed suit. In fact the other probably only made custom in the beginning from the over flow from Momo.

A sad fall from grace and what a height! They really do need to address the issues and find their philosophy again.

The atmosphere is still the same and still wonderful to see and be in. There is a warmth here and a positive character. However, on my last visit I must admit to feeling a little as though the staff had better things to do than staff. - For the first time I will think twice before venturing back again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,331)

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Outstanding as the worst meal I have had to pay for ever. As a table of nine we had to have the set menu for £45 which was fine. We had the meanest shared starter to begin the meal. I had the vegetable tagine to follow which was a tomato, the end of a courgette, a piece of fennel and a piece of carrot in a tomato broth. That's it. Apparently the seafood tagine was tasty but again it was the meanest portion ever. For pudding there was a measly selection of tiny sweets. I asked the waiter what one of the sweets were and he told me there was no translation from french. It was a square of jam. With one glass of wine each and a third of glass of water I was mugged for £67. I had to buy a sandwich from the station on the way home. Ten years ago this was a brilliant night out but it's now resting on historical glory. The food is bland, the staff rushed off their feet and the music so loud I had to shout to hear the person next to me. I didn't want to complain in case they offered me a free meal and I would have to go back. Rubbish.

1  Thank Sooze58
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We were told we had to order more food or leave because 2 people were sharing a main course and another one ordered just a starter. It was 9:30 and the restaurant was not even full.

This is the first time it ever happened to me!
It is rude and probably illegal also.

London is full of great restaurants, I recommend you avoid this one.

2  Thank Luis S
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I could barely hear myself think the music was so loud, sat at long tables with no privacy. Rude and arrogant staff who took 15mins to seat us even though we had a reservation.
The food was good but for the price, not worth it.

Reviewed February 6, 2013

We popped in after our Icebar session and were very surprised great bar felt like we were in morocco it's self!
Drinks and waiters where very good and would recommend it.