“Terrible service”

Ranked #379 of 23,580 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: Mildreds, established in 1988, serves internationally inspired vegetarian food, all of which is made daily on the premises. Catering for vegetarians, yet popular with omnivores, Mildreds offers friendly informal service in a lively atmosphere coupled with excellent value for money. We use organic ingredients where possible and endeavor to source small businesses for our supplies. Our beautiful wood paneled dining room is available for party bookings Monday to Saturday, with a maximum capacity for 14 people.We do not take bookings in the restaurant but you may enjoy a drink or cocktail at the bar whilst waiting for your table. If you want to avoid waiting please come after 9.30.
Reviewed March 16, 2011

The service was so bad that the food would have to be amazing for me to consider going back. The waitress was downright rude, stroppy and sulky, and acted as if she was doing us a favour. The waiter was unfriendly and bad tempered. I could hardly believe how poor the service was. I had been really looking forward to going to Mildred's but the staff were so rude and unfriendly that we didn't linger and I was glad to leave. Why were they so rude? Why do people go back when staff are so surly and unfriendly, I can't understand it. Overall was very disappointed. Food was ok, nothing special, but with service like that I wouldn't want to go back.

3  Thank 1bluebell

Reviewed February 21, 2011

My sister and I visited Mildreds on Friday 18th Feb whilst on a short visit to London. We are both vegetarian and really appreciate a restaurant that caters solely for vegetarians/vegans. The food was excellent - wholesome and healthy, and tasty too! The service was absolutely fine - a smile from the barman when we entered, courteous service at our table and a friendly bye when we left.
At the time we left (about 7pm) it was already quite busy and people were starting to queue for a table. Its obviously very popular and with good reason.

Reviewed February 19, 2011

Not quite sure why Mildred's is so highly rated - is it a vegetarian plot? I had mushroom pie, chips and mushy peas, which was pretty tasty, but my partner had a fried risotto concoction which was rather like something you might make with leftovers and tasted bland and claggy.

Noisy cafe surroundings with orange plastic seating and formica tables. No reduction for lunch (most main dishes £9.50 each) and 12.5% service charge added.

I can think of several London restaurants with better food, value and ambience, despite much lower Trip Advisor ratings.

Reviewed February 2, 2011

I am not a vegetarian, but I love eating vegetarian food, and will often choose the vegetarian option at regular restaurants. So on our latest trip to London, we wanted to go somewhere special to eat and had checked Tripadvisor to find the vegetarian restaurants with the best review. When we arrived at Mildred's on a Friday night, it was packed with people waiting, and we were told it would be about an hour's wait. So we decide to walk around to another vegetarian restaurant not far away (Tibits). We were so disappointed with what we saw, when we got there. It is not really a proper table service restaurant, but rather a serve-yourself, fancy salad and hot veges bar, but a lot of the food looked pretty ordinary. It's fine for lunch but certainly not for a nice night out. So we decided we would go back to Mildred's and wait it out , and we were so glad we did. The crowd had thinned out and there was only one other group waiting before us and we got a table within about 15 minutes. The choices were great and the decisions of what to have were hard! Everything my husband and I ate was unusual, tasty and delicious. My artichoke starter was superb, and i couldn't stop myself raving about the linguine ("this is soooo good!) the whole time i was eating it. Be careful if ordering the cornbread though. It has chilli in it and has quite a spicy bite to it, which I had not expected, since it was not included in the description.
We shared the coconut, banana and tofu tart for desert. Note to chef: my personal preference was to have a lot more coconut in it, to take the edge off too much tofu flavour; after all the tofu is in the mix to give the texture, rather than an actual flavour. Nevertheless, it was still very nice. My husband really enjoyed the organic red wine.
The best part of visiting this restaurant was that the prices were very reasonable, because you are not paying for expensive meat content.
We can't wait to go back.

1  Thank numberwoman
Reviewed January 22, 2011

On Thursday I took a colleague for lunch at Mildreds on Lexington Street. Mildreds is a vegetarian restaurant in the heart of Soho that has been running for years.

I've always liked Mildreds. I'm not a vegetarian but it has the most exciting vegetarian menu around. Plus it caters for people who are gluten and diary intolerant which is just brilliant. My parents are both coeliacs so I know how hard it is to find menus that work.

We hadn't booked a table, in fact I'm not sure you can book a table, so strolled in at just before 1pm. It's always busy and packed to the rafters. It's a quirky place. I guess you'd call it shabby chic. Luckily there were a few tables spare so we went through to the back dining room.

There are a few high tables and stools at the front of the restaurant but really all the action takes place towards the back.

As well as the substantial menu there is a specials board which changes daily. The menu is solid and strong with lots of great dishes that sound amazing. To whet your appetite, here are some of the highlights:

Tomato, aubergine, chickpea and green olive tagine served with flaked almond cous cous, flat bread and harissa.

Sundried tomato and buffalo mozzarella risotto cake served with wilted spinach, green beans and grape mustard cream sauce.

Linguini with courgette and pistachio pesto, served with cherry tomatoes and rocket.

Borlotti bean and sunblushed tomato sausages served with pumpkin and sweet potato mash, broccoli and apple cider jus.

Mixed mushroom, porcini and ale pie served with fries and mushy peas.

As you can see, inventive and delicious even for a meat eater!

There is a special burger of the day. On Thursday is was courgette and sweet red pepper. We ordered two burgers with cheese and sweet potato fries and settled in.

The food arrived in good time and looked amazing. Two delicious burgers that looked as good as they tasted. Rich and meaty (even though they were meat free) they oozed taste and texture. The cheese complimented the burger well. The bread was perhaps a little lacking. The sweet potato fries OK.

Two burgers and two soft drinks came to £34 including service.

Service can be a little hit and miss. It's good but the staff can be down right rude at times. Attitude rules supreme. However if you can get past this then it's worth a visit.

www.mildreds.co.uk

For more reviews check out --

2  Thank Eatreview_Blog