“Good food, very expensive, rude staff!”
Review of Matsuri - CLOSED

Matsuri
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: St. James's
Description: Matsuri St James's is based in the heart of Mayfair, offering a wide variety of Japanese food from authentic to innovative. Using top quality ingredients we create a beautiful harmony including teppanyaki - a cooking style in which a chef cooks in front of you. The Sushi bar is very popular among Japanese expatriates as they recognise the same quality as they eat in Japan.
Reviewed May 20, 2014

The restaurant looks good and the food is fresh.
However the quality of the food (simple and small portions) does not justify the very high pricing.
Our experience turned bad when we picked a bottle of red wine (Bordeaux Grave 2004 for £45) The waitress presents us with the same wine but 2011. We agreed to keep that bottle but to check the price as the vintage is 7 years younger and expected.
The supervisor came to our table and we felt he was being rude but he still accepted to check for a new price. He came back with a new price of £75!!! £30 more?
We obviously pointed out it should be slightly cheaper to which he said: are you here to bargain prices or choose a bottle of wine? I think that sentence alone tells you what to expect here.
We requested to speak to the manager, to which he he refused. At this point he realised that we weren't going to take his rude attitude and gave us the up bottle for free.
I'd rather pay for my wine and get treated properly.
I will never go back.

2  Thank Michael J

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Good Service, kind and attentive personnel. The sommelier is a wonderful young lady with an extensive knowledge for Sake! The ambiance was nice. The food was delicious and the sake list was very interesting. The Teppanyaki dinner was one of our best ever experienced. The lobster and the wagyu beef were both cooked in a perfect manner. In total, a very good dinner, but a little bit overpriced!

5  Thank Pauline M
Reviewed May 17, 2014 via mobile

One of my favourite restaurants in London. Great atmosphere, service and very tasty food, although it is pricey.

Not much choice for vegetarians, unfortunately (the only veggie dish that can be cooked in front of you is grilled vegetables).

Definitely get Fireball ice cream for desert, not only is it delicious, but also fun to watch being prepared!

Best to visit with partner/friend or two since you would be seated around a tepanyaki table (not practical for large groups).

Reviewed May 14, 2014

Perfect sushi, recommended by a local. Staff was a bit cold despite our being the only customers at the time but the great sushi made up for it.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

I went here with my partner and his family as a treat whilst we were in London. I had never been to a restaurant where they cook the food in front of you and it was amazing to experience this. We chose a set menu and I am not usually one to try many different foods but I am glad I did. The staff were friendly and attentive, answering any questions we had about the food etc. However, I think the price was too high and will probably not go back for this reason.

3  Thank LilaDawson