“Oh YES!”
Review of The Market Thai

The Market Thai
Reserve with OpenTable
The Market Thai is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4,841 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Notting Hill
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I wanted to have a decent pad-thai while in London, and I am glad I found this place!
Not only the place was absolutely gorgeous, but the food was deliocious! The service was also good and the staff was very friendly.
Don't stop at the appearance from downstairs, keep going, it will feel like stepping in into a different world...

Reviewed July 3, 2012

We have been eating at market Thai for years..the standard is good average of what you would expect of a local Thai cafe Resturant .....weeping tiger and mixed veg a d Thai chicken green curry we see always to order. At lunch they have great value one plate meals...enjoy

Reviewed June 2, 2012

The Market Thai in Portobello is one of my favourite local restaurants. The entrance seems very modest and I would have never walked in if it was not for finding reviews while looking for a nice venue.
The interior is very romantic and I love the fresh flowers in every table, candles and small touches. The windows are always open, it does not smell of food and the atmosphere is fresh and light.
The solid wooden tables and carved arches make it unique giving character to the restaurant. It is a good idea to book as sometimes I was not given a table as it was too busy.
The food is very good quality. It is by far the best Thai restaurant in the area in my opinion. I love their king prawns in blanket, vegetarian tempura, green curry and Pad Thai.
For two glasses of wine, green tea, two starters and two main courses we paid an average of £25.00 each, on my last visit. I look forward to my next visit and to the aroma of lemongrass and coconut.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

My girlfriend and I ate here one Saturday evening after struggling to find somewhere reasonably priced with space in Notting Hill. It's located at one of the main crossroads in the heart of Portobello Market, and is 5 minutes walk from Ladbroke Grove tube. As another reviewer has mentioned, the entrance off the street doesn't inspire great confidence, but it makes for a stark contrast to the wonderful first floor room. The lighting is soft and warm, the atmosphere relaxed and the bespoke carved fittings around the doors and across the middle of the room are quite amazing. This is a proper Thai restaurant; the service was slow on this night but we didn't mind - the staff were so friendly, tried hard and genuinely seemed happy to serve us. This made the experience much more memorable than other chain or in-pub Thai restaurants that seem to just try to process as many people as possible. We had Thai Dim Sum to start, and mains of Choo Chee curry with prawn, and Green Curry with sea bass; all were flavoursome and two-chilli heat was just about right. My girlfriend's honey and ginger tea was very refreshing and the staff provided extra honey just in case. It came to less than £40 for two including drinks, and they didn't pre-empt the increasingly common "discretionary" 12.5% service charge (a particular bugbear of ours - we'll decide whether and how much we want to tip, thank you very much). So we were glad to leave a real, non-electronic, tip. We will go again.

Reviewed January 14, 2012

We called in here by chance on a first visit to Portobello Road. As usual with unknown and unseen upstairs/basement places, there was the "what are we letting ourselves in for" moment. We were though immediately pleased by the great laid-back atmosphere and very warm welcome.

Its not a pretentious high end restaurant, which suited us fine. Both of the dishes we had were fresh, tasty and arrived with great service - and were reasonably priced. The decor, including lots of authentic carved Thai wood, candles etc made for a very relaxing setting.

The overall experience, including genuinely friendly staff, reminded us more of our time in Thailand than any other we've visited in the UK. We will definitely be returning here on our next visit to this part of London.