“A great little gem”

Ranked #2,942 of 25,075 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Burmese, Indian, Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Paddington / Maida Vale
Description: Finally we are ready once again to excite your palate with our authentic Myanmar dishes at our new and larger premises at 302, Kilburn High road London NW6 2DB on Monday 24/07/2017 from 18:00 hours. So are you ready to challenge your taste buds? If you are, come and experience the new look of our restaurant. Looking forward in seeing you soon to welcome you once again.
Reviewed April 29, 2016

Don't be put off by the rather depressing area or basic decor, this is a really nice place to eat. Warm, friendly staff and an interesting and varied menu offering well-cooked and delicious Burmese food. Really good value too. Have been a couple of times and both were excellent - highly recommend!

4  Thank mike_b1299

Reviewed April 21, 2016

I was there with a few friends.
First time having Burmese ... we got some good guidance on menu favourites and feeling in the mood for something spicy they helped choose some mains - lamb curries and chicken.
Food arrived in good time - but I was disappointed with portion sizes. Very small if you ask me. Tasty and spicy .. but you'll want extra sides.

2  Thank mr_uk_2006
Reviewed April 21, 2016

I spent some time travelling in Myanmar recently and really craved some Burmese food, so when the opportunity arose to visit this restaurant, I jumped at the chance. It being a Tuesday the place was not crowded, even though it is very small and reserving a table seems like a good idea.

I loved the tea leaf salad, the calabash fritters (with tasty relishes, the lime one being especially good) and the red lentil soup, all of which reminded me very much of the food I enjoyed around Mandalay city. The fish soup with rice vermicelli varies from region to region in Myanmar - this one was a version I'd not previously had, and quite a lot more delicate/less hearty than I'd expected, but fine, just different. The lentil rice and vegetable noodles were good, nice plain food; I was surprised by the aubergine and potato, which was drier than most dishes I'd encountered on my travels. The special Myanmar sweet (agar jelly and tapioca) was exquisite. The bill was modest by London standards and I felt we'd had good value. The staff were very accommodating, and topping up the water jug and bringing extra spoons and dishes so that my guests and I could all taste each other's food..

A couple of things I'd have liked to show my guests but didn't find on the menu: garlic and chilli flake sauce; thinly sliced unripe mango relish; and (perhaps we missed it on the menu) some of the fabulous fresh vegetable curries I'd got used to and would love to experience again. My only slight grumble is that I kind-of expected a pot of green tea (or refills) rather than just one cup with a teabag. But these points are suggestions for the future, rather than criticisms. We had a lovely evening and will almost certainly come again if we get the chance.

2  Thank Kate B
Reviewed February 28, 2016 via mobile

Very rarely do I say that you will have to put up with slow service or an uninspiring exterior. The Mandalay Golden Myanmar serves the most authentic Burmese food I have ever tasted. I have been brought up with Burmese food (my family all came from Burma at the beginning of the 2nd WW) and so tasting food that is as good if not better than I've had in the past was a joy. The basic nature of the menu (check out the website to get the authentic names of the food) doesn't do this fantastic little restaurant justice! This is a must visit restaurant! We will be back! Just wonderful!

1  Thank Samboii
Reviewed February 12, 2016 via mobile

Really nice and authentic food. I loved the starter fritters and the pickled lamb. As a desert the semolina was wonderful.