“Delicious, authentic food. Home Sweet Home...”
Review of Mandalay

Mandalay
Ranked #4,906 of 23,381 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Burmese, Indian, Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Paddington / Maida Vale
Description: Finally we are ready once again to excite your palate with our authentic Myanmar dishes at our new and larger premises at 302, Kilburn High road London NW6 2DB on Monday 24/07/2017 from 18:00 hours. So are you ready to challenge your taste buds? If you are, come and experience the new look of our restaurant. Looking forward in seeing you soon to welcome you once again.
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Half my family is Burmese, and it's nice to see the quality and traditions of Burmese cuisine being kept alive in Central London. This is an institute of Burmese culture. And long may it last. Delicious food, great service and at a great value. A home away from home.

1  Thank AlexDenton

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We looked in Google to find a restaurant within easy striking distance of Paddington Station, as we had a train to catch later in the evening. We noticed that this restaurant had received many positive reviews and had won awards from Time Out etc., so decided to give it a try.

Google Maps helped us to locate it and although initial impressions are that its interior needs a little TLC, the food was outstanding and the family who run it are warm and friendly. This is among the best food and service we have received in London.

I decided to try the Spicy Lamb with Pilau Rice and even as I'm writing this, my mouth is watering! My only criticism would be that there wasn't enough of it! I followed this with a banana fritter (no ice cream) and was then ready for the journey home.

Will definitely visit this establishment again, and would highly recommend it to others. This is one of London's hidden gems.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

Don't be deceived by the rather unkempt looking frontage and the plastic table coverings inside. This Burmese / Indian / South East Asian restaurant delivers superbly cooked meals at extremely reasonable prices. The emphasis is Burmese, reflecting the owner. A friend and I turned up with no booking having left Lords cricket ground and were welcomed as if returning friends. Nearly all the table had a reserved sign on them but space was found with no trouble (booking might be wise in future). The meals came with a recommendation as to the rice and vegetables: Coconut rice for me, lentil rice for my colleague and a potato and aubergine vegetable dish to accompany two lamb dishes. Wonderfully tender lamb as well!
According to the owner, having discovered we were coming from the cricket, the restaurant is Sachin Tendulkar's favourite!

The two dishes plus drinks were less than £30. I'll certainly be back.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

It's a classic cafe - Don't judge the place by the plain, dated decor - nothing neglected or run down about it, we found it clean and cosy, with cute personal touches like fabric wall maps and kitschy pictures, with a little counter holding history and tourist books about the country. The lady in charge and the man that assists are very friendly and happy to make recommendations and give advice and information about the dishes and steer you in the right direction if they sense you are new to the cuisine.
We shared the special fritters to start, with 3 sauces, which were tasty. I had the tamarind lamb with pilau rice and my partner had the 'national dish' coconut noodle soup with chicken. Both were filling and the flavours were satisfying and piqant.
The portion size may look rather small for the meat and rice dishes, but if you've had a starter or have an accompaniment then it's plenty. The green tea is refillable.
In total it was less than £24 and for the service, atmosphere and the food, it's good value.
It's definitely not fancy, but it's better than plain and average. Worth choosing if you're in the area.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

If you are looking for five star dining this is not it.
However, it is all about the food and price. Everyone in the restaurant is happy to be there with smiling, slightly overrun host, orchestrating proceedings. The food comes out of the kitchen full of flavours and tlc leaving your belly and wallet full.

1  Thank red_hamster