“Bit disappointing”

Cuisines: European, French
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Shoreditch
Transit: Nearest Underground Station Liverpool Street (10min walk). Bus route 8 & 338.
Description: What kind of London restaurant attracts the likes of Liz Hurley, Donatella Versace and Madonna? A genuine one-off. Les Trois Garcons is a handsomely converted pub, easily identified on Bethnal Green Road by its flaming torches. Inside the restaurant is pure theatre, the opulent dining room decor falling over itself with stuffed animals (mais oui, that is a bulldog with fairy wings), sparkly crystal chandeliers and all sorts of antique idiosyncrasies. Les Trois Garcons is a bit like being inside Salvador Dali's brain. The classic French food, brilliantly twisted with the Australian touch of Michael Chan, Head Chef since 2010 introduce dishes like the sweetbread and crayfish spring roll which is out of this world, the Monkfish and Lap Cheung sausage serve in a lemon-verbena based cassoulet of white and broad beans, and if you prefer meat, the rump of lamb infused in coconut oil. For dessert, the classic vanilla creme brulee is always on the menu. The beautiful staff deserve praise too, under the attentive eyes of the General Manager Fabien Babanini who joined Les Trois Garcons in February 2011, for their warmth and knowledgeable service. Three words for the experience, Quirky, Tasty and Impecable.
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I was really looking forward to this restaurant and was a bit disappointed. Firstly as a group of 7 we had to take a three course menu that was very small. That meant limited choices and a minimum spend of £47 each, most people wouldn't have had dessert given the choice so was slightly unfair.
The restaurant had told us before we went that this would be the case but we decided to do it anyway as it has a good reputation.

There was no wow factor about the food at all, the seared tuna was overwhelmed by the black pepper, the Chateaubriand was already cut for us and shared out and the two people who had the fish of the day (Lemon sole) said it was tasteless.

The service was good but a few of our party were not happy with someone coming in through the restaurant (I assume the owner) with a dog. Pretty unhygienic and not a good look for a place that is trying to impress.

Possibly I would go back in a smaller group but ultimately there are so many more restaurants to try in London.

G M, General Manager at Les Trois Garcons, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience with us.
First, I would like to apologise that your evening didn't match your expectation.
I am sorry to read that you felt so restricted on our group menu, but it is unfortunately to make sure that we can keep the quality at the highest standards. By reading your comments, I see that we didn't managed to impress you that night and feel a bit surprised as I remember checking on your table a few times.
After reading your review, the chef has changed the tuna dish slightly, with less time marinated in the green szechuan pepper which is very strong indeed. The chateaubriand, which is our most popular dish here is always very well received this way. We know it is nicer to have it presented as a whole first and we use to do it this way, but we found that we had a lot of negative feed back about the temperature of the meat and decided to plate it directly in the kitchen to keep it at the perfect temperature to enjoy it.
Regarding Gaspar, our dalmatien dog, you are right to assume that he his the owner's dog. They leave upstairs and have no way in/out without going thru the restaurant. Gaspar is their baby and is certainly very clean and in fact, a little bit our mascott as well. Some of our regular guests do expect and hope to see him when they visit. We are sorry that it made you feel this way and hope that it didn't upset you and your guests to much.
I am certainly looking forward to your next visit, in a group or not, and will make our priority to impress you more.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Visited for lunch after having my eye on this interesting looking place. The venue has wow factor, very beautifully decorated with weird and wonderful artifacts. They had a great set lunch, but we thought 'what the hell!' and went a la carte! Starters of Dorset snails in pigs trotter tortellini. (Was incredible - my wife said the most amazing starter she's ever had.) I had the smoked duck. I really enjoyed the pickled veggies with it. Our mains were like a plate of heaven. Lobster and poached chicken in a lobster bisque. Was incredible. An amazing dish. Would highly recommend. Couldnt manage a dessert but were treated to free mini sweets. Nice touch The staff were adorable, very sweet, informative and attentive. A very enjoyable experience indeed, I look forward to visiting the other venues of the group.

1  Thank HoveWine

Thank you very much for your kind review of our restaurant.
You should visit us one evening as well as the atmosphere is very different with everything candle lit.
Until your next visit,
Kind regards

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We had such a lovely night at Les Trois Garçons last week. The food was amazing, our waitress was great, the whole evening was perfect.

We hadn't been there as a couple for years (the last time together, we ordered cigars and smoked them at out table - that's how long ago!) - we were so chuffed that it was still such a special experience.
Love it. Go.

1  Thank dal90
G M, General Manager at Les Trois Garcons, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Thank you very much for your review of our restaurant.
What ever happened to the pleasures of smoking a nice Cuban cigar after a meal, I wonder.
Please do not wait as long to come and visit us again.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I wanted to really love this restaurant having spent the last three years trying to persuade my family to vist it with me. I finally went last week with my family and friends and I was so disappointed. The interior design, the lighting, the layout were atmospheric and interesting and I love the architecture of the building; the staff were professional and attentive HOWEVER the food was far from memorable. Some of the portion sizes were mean and the unadventourous menu could only be excused if the execution was faultless; it was not. We had a good time as we were all in a good mood anyway but I thought it was such a shame that the food did not match up to the setting. By the way if you are going to do an amuse bouche it should be larger i.e. one or two bites, it was the size of a 50p piece and it looked so sad on its large plate. I suspect this restaurant started out being really good and is now living on past glories ..............

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your dinner with us.
I am sorry to read that you were not entirely happy with our menu. We aim to provide a slightly lighter approach to traditional French cooking with a discreet Asian flavour. I am sorry to see that you have not enjoyed it. We have noted your point on the amuse bouche and have acteed accordingly on it.
I sincerely hope that you will give us another try as going to the winter months, our menu becomes more traditional with the use of game which our chef does very well..
Thank you again ever so much for your feed back.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We had a wonderful anniversary dinner at this restaurant. We started with a cocktail at the LoungeLovers while waiting for our table, which was quite cool. We were served by a very friendly waitress. The food was excellent... I highly recommend yellow fin tuna for starters as well as guinea fowl. Our desert was served on a specially decorated plate for our occasion, which was a nice touch. Highly recommended!

Thank you very much for your kind review of our restaurant.
Until your next visit,