“Re : Exceptional Good Food, Service can be better”
Review of Le Gavroche

Le Gavroche
Ranked #42 of 22,564 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: The first UK restaurant to be awarded one, two, and then three Michelin stars, Le Gavroche remains a class apart. Since opening in 1967, this Mayfair bastion of French cuisine has been very much a family affair, and chef-patron Michel Roux Jr continues the tradition today. The elegance of the menu and the ambience is impeccably tailored, while the discreet service has won its own plaudits.
JAKARTA
“Re : Exceptional Good Food, Service can be better”
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Le Gavroche is a famous Michelin-stared French fine dining restaurant in London. I consider myself very much a foodie and will seek out the best restaurants to try and French fine dinning is one of my favorite. However, my experience for fine dining in London wasn’t that particular good, with the previously disastrous dinner at Gordon Ramsey 2 years ago still fresh in my memory. So it’s with a bit of trepidation that I tried out this restaurant. The restaurant has an exceedingly high reputation and is fully booked months in advance.

On arrival I was greeted and lead straight to my table. The restaurant is actually located in the basement two flights of stairs down. The décor is traditional and rather dark. The tables are placed close together but not too cramp as to make it claustrophobic.

The menu comes in 3 sets. A 3-course set lunch with a bottle of water and half bottle of wine plus coffee at GBP54/= which is a good value. A tasting course for GBP129 and an A La Carte menu. As expected, the Ala Carte menu is more expensive but not unreasonably so according to London standards. I choose the set lunch menu and select lobster ravaroli and lamb neck as my starter and main course. Later on during the meal, I also add the Salmon with Crispy Skin. Dessert is a selection of ice cream and sorbets from a trolley.

Have to say all the food served were of very high quality with the salmon being particularly tasty. It’s right up there or perhaps exceeds those that I have tried in Paris, Tokyo and Hong Kong. Only the bread taste kind of run of the mill.

As for service, I find it generally just OK but nothing exceptional. In fact, I got better attention from the JW steakhouse that I dine in just the previous day. This is somehow understandable as the restaurant is obviously very popular with every single table full so we have all the waiters busy buzzing around from table to table. Most of the clientele are middle age to elderly and I am guessing majority are regular customers. For my lunch, my waitress was a middle age lady with red hair and she spoke in an accent that I can barely understand. ( Note : There’s actually two of them and I think they are twins ). At my first encounter, she appeared to be quite perplexed by my presence. It is probably a very rare and strange sight to her that an Asian guy dining solo like myself will seek out and dine in their restaurant. While she fussed over the other guests and asked how’s the dishes etc, she basically just took my order, served me the dishes and collected my plates. To her credit, she finally asked me how’s my meal when collecting the last dish. On the whole, service feels automated and not particularly personal and attentive.

This is a restaurant I will try to come back again to sample the other dishes. The service can certainly be better but this is still a place worthy of trying just for the quality of the food.

• Visited July 2014

• Thai first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Best in London”
Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

If you want true French classic food this is where you start! No foams! No chemicals! This is true classical French cooking at its best! It is also the best value lunch menu in London!!

Visited March 2014
3 Thank TheBigDram
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
“Most memorable experience”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Having dinner at Le Gavroche has been on my 'bucket list' for a few years and this monthI was fortunate enough to fulfil that dream.

Booking a table is a hurdle that you will have to overcome if you wish to visit Le Gavroche, you have to book 3 months ahead and getting through on the phone is a challenge. However, the wait was most certainly worth it.

Every aspect of the evening was perfect. The food lived up to my expectations, but for me it was the service that really made the evening exceptional.

Whilst very tempted to choose the Menu Exceptional, I really couldnt see how I could possibly eat 7 courses. We opted for dishes from the A La Carte menu. The signature dish is the Soufflé Suissesse which was so rich and indulgent, and utterly delightful. The highlight would be the creamy rice pudding with caramelised pineapple that my friend chose. I am not a rice pudding fan but this one blew me away, I just wish that I had ordered it too.

As you would expect the wine list is extensive, the sommelier was so helpful, particularly as my friend and I wanted to choose wines by the glass to complement our food.

Dinner at Le Gavroche was most definitely expensive, but for the experience alone it was worth every penny. Will most definitely return.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank deborah.w
London, United Kingdom
“Very good but not as amazing as I had expected”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

This year I turned fourty and I wanted to do something very special for my birthday. As I am a great admirer of Master Chef and Michel Roux in particular, myself, my partner and a few friends decided to celebrate the occasion at his famous restaurant La Gavroche.

I heard and read a lot about this place and I had the highest expectations ever considering how great Michel Roux is and looks on TV.
A couple of friends also went the previously and told me the restaurant was very good.
It takes a lot of preparation and planning ahead to get a reservation. It is not a place where you can call a few days before and get a table. There is a three months reservation policy. So people need to call at a very spicific time to be able to book when they wish to go. But a thought it would be worth to go through the extra stress of calling and joining the waiting list.

We wanted to try as much as possible so we decided to go for the tasting menu with paring wines, which would have gavin us the opportunity to try at least four starters, two main courses one of meat and one of fish and dessert. Also in the tasting menu there are some of Michel Roux signature dishes such as the famous suffle'. The testing menu costs 170£ each with the wine included.
The food was very good, some dishes absolutely excellent but if I have to be honest I don't think they meet my expectation. I was really expecting some amazing food, flawless and great wine and the menu did not deliver.
One of the biggest let down was the choices of wine. They served at least 4 whites of which three on the sweet side and none of them very good.
The main meat course was pigeon ( they change it on a regular base and use seasonal ingridients).
I thought for a testing menu it was not the right choice as not everyone like that type of meat. I understand it is very personal but if you put together a tasting menu where people have to go with whatever is in it, I think the chef should choose something that can appeal the majority.

The service was 10 oout of 10 and even if it is a two Michelin start restaurant in a very upmarket area, you don't feel they are on top of you or over serving you.

I think it was good to have the experince and it is another box ticked, but I don't think I will go back soon.

Micheal & Sonia

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank IrishItalian1
London
“Perfection”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

Perfection just says it all. I have visited twice in the last six months with the added bonus of meeting Michel Roux Jnr on my last visit.
The ambience, service and culinary delights are second to none. Waiting for my next Birthday with great anticipation!

• Visited May 2014