“Perfect!”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: The first UK restaurant to be awarded one, two, and then three Michelin stars, Le Gavroche remains a class apart. Since opening in 1967, this Mayfair bastion of French cuisine has been very much a family affair, and chef-patron Michel Roux Jr continues the tradition today. The elegance of the menu and the ambience is impeccably tailored, while the discreet service has won its own plaudits.
Sydney, Australia
“Perfect!”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Le Gavroche has been on my list for a long time and finally we made it last week and it met every expectation from the welcome to the G&T to the cloud-like cheese souffle and the jaw dropping cheese selection. Michel Roux coming out and asking us how we were enjoying the tasting menu made our night even more special. We will be back!

• Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
geneva
“Enjoyable Meal but didn't quite live up to expectations”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

After the nightmare of trying to get a reservation, we were extremely looking forward to eating at le gavroche being one of my bucket list restaurants.(+ a huge michel roux fan)
Was slightly dissapointed with the balance of some dishes though, Souflee Suissese was nice to start but double cream is abit heavy for the start of a tasting menu, the main dissapointment was the Pigeon though, leg was tough on all 4 plates & matching pigeon with liver as a side seemed to Iron rich for all 4 members of our family.
The standout dishes for me were the langoustine with pea's & stone bass with raz el hanout, the aroma really transported you to a spice market down in Marrakech .. probably the best piece of fish I have ever eaten.. Wine pairings were incredible & thoroughly enjoyed chatting with our young french sommelier.
The cheese board was nice but there were a few cheeses we wanted to try that they didn't have, (living in Switzerland we are pretty clued up on that part of the meal).
Finally the desert of a chocolate ganache was nice but way too rich to finish a tasting menu after 7-9 courses, one of us opted to substitute it for a passion fruit souflee which was definitely the right idea.
All in all, was a nice meal but did not feel it matched my expectations..both Michel & Monica were not in the kitchen and wonder if that impacted the service... we were too rushed between courses when I specifically chose a time slot so we shouldnt,
the head chef also didnt make an appearance which is slight dissapointing when you spend £1000 on a dinner for 4 people. If I go back I would either eat a la carte or try the business lunch. Real shame not to meeet Michel Roux but he is a busy man.

1 Thank FW21Geneva
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent as always”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Whilst not exactly a regular, I am lucky enough to be able to say that I have never come away from Le Gavroche without having one memorable dish (this time the passion fruit soufflé) nor feeling that, in spite of the impressive cost, the experience has not felt like good value. For a formal restaurant it is far from stuffy and the welcome and service were both immaculate. The food is fantastic, always interesting and delicious. Hard to beat for a special occasion.

1 Thank David M
Essex
“Pleasure on a Plate”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I visited Le Gavroche last night as a surprise for my friend who's birthday it was. We were greeted by the sweetest girl and taken into the Restaurant. The ambience of this Restaurant is amazing, and the staff are attentive but not intrusive. The scallops to start and the beef for main were like heaven on a plate. We chose the cheese for dessert and there was an amazing selection. The waiter also bought over a birthday plate for my friend with a yummy piece of chocolate cake, perfect. Can't wait to visit again.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank Shellessex
London, United Kingdom
“Formal dining doesn't get much better than this...”
Reviewed July 2, 2014

This restaurant is located in the basement of an elegant town house in Mayfair. We were greeted at the door by a nice young lady and escorted down to the dining room. Although I generally prefer modern décor I soon warmed to the classic (art deco?) elegance of this place with its subdued lighting. We opted for the 'business lunch' deal: wine, water, three courses, coffee and petit fours for about £54 plus service. This must be an excellent deal by any standard in a restaurant with two Michelin stars in a capital city like London. If I have a criticism it would be that when we first arrived I did feel a bit rushed: I thought the staff were trying to get the aperitifs into one hand and the menus into the other as soon as possible. However, as more diners arrived the staff become a highly trained machine who served the dishes and wine in a friendly and very professional manner. As one would expect, the food was of a high standard, but one thing I especially liked was the fact that each diner on this menu gets to choose a half bottle of wine from a choice of four which I think changes from time to time - our choice was different to the choice on the sample menu on the website. We enjoyed a Cotes de Provence white and a Languedoc red and I like the opportunity to sample something different (in this case it was the red). We will certainly be coming back here, but here I think that I should make clear that to get lunch at La Gavroche requires careful planning: I already knew that one needs to book three months in advance; I would have liked a table on 25 June and so I emailed the restaurant on 25 March. However, I was unsuccessful because the restaurant was already fully booked but the email contained the helpful advice to telephone at 9 am three months in advance: on doing this I got a reservation for 30 June. (It may be easier to get a reservation for dinner in the evening but the set menu would probably not be available, and anyway we prefer to eat lunch.) The effort to have lunch here is well worthwhile as we thoroughly enjoyed the experience - including meeting 'le patron' who visited each table!